They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Moving existing files in Elements10

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Moving existing files in Elements10

Postby tapeka » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:50 am

If Icapture a large clip in Elements 10, it seems to break the clip up into smaller clips in the stored project files.
I would prefer to store my capture files as captured in a seperate folder and let Elements 10 source them from there.
To that end I would like to move various existing capture files to such a folder.
If I do this using the Organizer, will it allow the main program to track this file move for my project to continue as before and not have to start searching for the files?

tapeka

UK
tapeka
New User
New User

Re: Moving existing files in Elements10

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:03 am

On the capture screen, when you are capturing from a tape-based camcorder, you have the option to direct your captured files to be stored wherever you'd like. Have you selected a folder on your hard drive to capture your video to?

This would be much easier than capturing to the default location and then using the Organizer to move the files around after.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby tapeka » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:43 pm

Thanks Steve for your reply.

With the aid of your 'GREAT!!' Book on Premiere Elements 10 I did discover the error of my ways and from now on I planned to do as you suggest. However while I was experimenting with various test projects I did some capturing and these files finished up in different places. Ideally I would like to move these files into the new folder that I have already created. I just wondered, if I did that in Organiser, would the program be able to find the files in their new location should I open one of the test projects? ie. does Organiser tell any given project where files have been relocated?

I was hoping to avoid capturing these clips again in the new location folder. If moving these files is going to create problems perhaps I will have to recapture them.

Thanks again for your excellent book which has been invaluable!

tapeka
tapeka
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:44 pm

Thank you for the kind words about the book, tapeka! Glad you found it useful!

Moving the files with the Organizer is a wise move, as far as the Organizer is concerned. But it doesn't tell Premiere Elements where to find the files.

Fortunately, if you are moving a batch of files from one location to another, it should be pretty simple to re-link them to a project.

When you first open your project, Premiere Elements will ask where the files are. When you browse to one file, the program will "see" all of the other missing and files and automatically relink all of them too.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 10