They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Pre 10 information question

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Pre 10 information question

Postby IanKing » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:37 am

I guess this is just a question looking for opinions. I am new to Photoshop in general and videography in particular. I currently have version 9 of Elements and Premiere Elements, and have been following the discussions about problems in v9. My question is, should I complete my current v9 project and then upgrade to v10? Is v10 more solid than v9 (less buggy?) or should I stick with v9 and hope for the best. I see that Adobe offers an upgrade path and I have all my serial numbers etc for v9. Is it worth doing the upgrade?

I'd appreciate any and all comments and suggestions

thanks

Ian
IanKing
New User
New User

Re: Pre 10 information question

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:03 am

Version 10 is, in my opinion and the opinion of many others, the best version Adobe has produced in some time. (Version 9 isn't bad though. It's just not as quick and snappy as version 10.) I definitely think it's worth the upgrade price.

Discussing "stability" though gets a bit tricky. It all depends on what's causing your instability or buggy behavior.

What exactly is the problem you're trying to resolve?

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

How fast is your processor and how much clean, free defragmented space is on your C drive?

What operating system are you using?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby IanKing » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:55 am

Hi Steve, my main issues have been freezing of the application that I fix with rebooting. The buggy comment came from reading the forum posts. It seems like people have many issues in v9. That may be just my unfamiliarity with PREL in general.

I'm using a Dell vostro laptop with 2 ghz dual core processor, 4 gb of ram, running XP Pro SP3.

I have a 350 gb internal drive with 180 gb free plus 1.5 Tb of outboard space with about 1 Tb free. I defrag regularly.

My camcorder is a JVC MG150 with a 30gb hard drive.
IanKing
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:23 pm

Those JVC hybrids aren't the ideal format to edit in Premiere Elements but they are possible.

Start up a project and use the Hard Disk Camcorder project settings made for JVC-GZ cams (standard def).

Then plug the camcorder into your computer and use Premiere Elements' Get Media/From Flip AVCHD and Hard Disk Camera to get the video from the cam to your project.

Because you're editing MPEG2s, you'll likely need to render often. (Press Enter whenever you see a red line above the clips on your timeline.) You're a bit on the lower end of hardware requirements. But, since you're just editing standard def video, it should be doable.

Version 9 is by no means unstable. It's just not as quick and nimble as version 10.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:35 pm

....and the general advice is to complete the project in the version that you started it in. Moving projects from a "lower" version to a "higher" version often causes more problems.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to PRE Version 10