They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

AVI Media input results in error message

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

AVI Media input results in error message

Postby NCRoadRunner » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:43 pm

A friend passed me a movie on a thumb drive, and it 'shows' as an .avi file. When I set up the project and attempt the 'get media' it results in an error message indicating that it does not recognise the format. 'GSPOT' indicates that the codec is 'XVID'; Name: 'XviD ISO MPEG-4. What must I do to get this .avi file into Adobe Premere? I have 'pulled' other .avi files in with no trouble, so I'm a bit confused....
THX.... Henri....
NCRoadRunner
New User
New User

Re: AVI Media input results in error message

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:48 pm

Hi Henri,
The AVI format is only a container, kind of like saying Cola comes in a bottle. The bottle is the AVI container, what is inside can be Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, or whatever. I am not familiar with the XVid formats or how to convert them if necessary. Could be that just changing the extension from AVI to MP4 might do the trick. I'm sure that someone will be along shortly with more info about how to make this work :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: AVI Media input results in error message

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:27 pm

Divx and Xvid are strange creatures. They're great delivery formats -- but almost impossible to edit.

You'll need to use a program like Super to convert them to DV-AVIs.

To use Super, set the Output Container drop-down menu to DV -- and leave everything else at its default setting. (Although, if you are using PAL video, ensure that Video Scale Size is set to 720:576.) Drag the video you want to convert to the area just below the Output specs and click Encode.

Super can be downloaded from http://www.erightsoft.com/S6Kg1.html
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 10