They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

blurry red-based title upon rendering

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

blurry red-based title upon rendering

Postby Di Hansen » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:56 pm

My issue is not unique to PRE 10. I have experienced it while producing with PRE 7, as well.

When I use titles with a red-based color, the clarity/sharpness of the red title disinegrates upon rendering. The red title's resolution is excellent prior to rendering and my other titles (in other non-red-based colors) look great. :-k

The link cited below illustrates this issue. Start watching at 2:35 til the end to compare the titles.
http://youtu.be/_qQ-uV090GE

Why is this occurring? Would using a .png of the words eliminate this clarity issue?

Thanks for your advice!
Di
Di Hansen

Re: blurry red-based title upon rendering

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:01 am

Di,
I took a look at the video. At 480p the imaging will be soft at full screen. So the font did not look distorted to me. Part of what you may be seeing is the result of the font choice and size. The font used in the earlier segment seems to be larger. Someone with more typography experience will be able to help you. Switching to a png file is likely to not help and may make it worse since your current font is likely scalable without noticeable degradation. A picture format takes that ability away.

If you want to keep that font, then I would try increasing the size, or more likely switch to a different font. It is hard for me to see the issue at this resolution.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Di Hansen » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:42 am

Thanks for your reply, Vernon.

I did more searching on this topic and the issue seems to be with red-based colors and DV compression. I have experienced this with an assorted number of fonts when using red-based colors, not only at full-screen view, but in smaller player views, as well.

Here is a link to another discussion: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/200/876257

It does not seem to be a PRE issue. I may need to select another color for my text. (bummer...I love red!) :razz:

Di
Di Hansen

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:53 am

This is a very interesting topic Di, thanks for bringing it up.
I almost never use Red in titles so have not seen this issue, or if it happened I didn't realize what was causing the problem. I'm interested in hearing more about what may be the cause of this if anyone has an answer.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:20 am

I try to stay away from red titles too and go with a more deep red-black. I put a slight Gaussian Blur on titles. This helps with any pixelation. Nice title work!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:48 am

Just a thought, but could this problem be caused by re-scaling the source video?

I have used red titles quite often and when I play back on my PC monitor they always look odd. When written to a DVD and viewed on my TV they look alright.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Di Hansen » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:13 pm

Thanks, Chuck, Cheryl and John.

Chuck: I am surprised that someone else hasn't asked about this in the past. :-8 I must use red (my favorite color) more than most when titling.

Cheryl: I will experiment with the Gaussian blur and darker red. Thanks for the tip!

John: Unfortunately my final DVDs show the same red-title results. ](*,)

I love this forum! A quick click to video producers smarter than me. :tup:

Di
Di Hansen

Postby momoffduty » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:40 pm

Di Hansen wrote: I am surprised that someone else hasn't asked about this in the past.

Come to think of it there was a discussion about 4 years ago and I can't find the topic. But, I did bookmark the link that was posted. Very good article on creating Titles:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles ... titles.php
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Di Hansen » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:17 pm

Thanks for the link, Cheryl! This is a very helpful article, especially the opacity and saturation details. =D>

Again, I appreciate your time!
Di
Di Hansen

Return to PRE Version 10