They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Advice for installing PRE10/PSE10

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Advice for installing PRE10/PSE10

Postby Finnkai » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:45 pm

I have purchased the combined package of PRE10/PSE10 on DVDs (Full Version) and am wondering what I need to do to install them to replace my existing PRE7/PSE7 set up on a Windows 7 64 bit PC.

I have read on the Adobe site that version 10 will install alongside a previous version and they suggest you can uninstall the old one when you are happy the new version is working. My questions are:

1. Will the new PRE10 version adopt the preferences - e.g. for scratch files etc - from the previous installation or will I need to go through all that again? (I have several internal drives and took the advice in Steve's book to utilise them so as to maximise speed).

2. Will PSE10 be able to use the same catalogue file as PSE7 uses? (Although I mainly use Lightroom now I do have catalog files for PSE7 and PRE7)

3. I also have Lightroom 3 installed. Is there anything I need to be aware of when installing PSE10 to make sure it works as well as possible with this?

4. When I uninstall my "old" versions should I first deactivate them so that they can be reinstalled legally on another PC? NB My new V10 software is not an upgrade so doesn't rely on me having a previous version.

5. Is there any other good advice? I am always a little nervous about installing major new software and want to minimise any possible problems!

Thanks as alwyas for any help.
Windows 7-64bit, Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz, Akasa Nero 2 Heatpipe CPU Cooler, Asus P6X58D-E X58 Gigabit 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard, 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz RAM, Sapphire HD 5670 512MB GDDR5 HDMI DVI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card.
Finnkai
New User
New User

Re: Advice for installing PRE10/PSE10

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:48 pm

The programs will install as if they are brand new programs. They won't pick up any preferences from your previous versions. In fact, they won't even know they're there.

The exception is the Organizer catalog. It's supposed to read the previous catalog and update. Most of the time it works. Almost always, in fact.

It's probably a good idea to deactivate the old versions before you uninstall them, if you plan to give them away or sell them.

Before you install your new programs, I recommend a good one-button Deep Care tune-up with my favorite utility program. It should make sure your computer is as close to ready as it can possibly be.
http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

You don't have your hardware listed in your signature, so I can't speak to any specifics. But if you install the 64-bit version of Premiere Elements on your well-tuned Windows 7 64-bit system, all should go well. Version 10, as Chuck and I both say as often as possible, is Adobe's best build in years.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby tjodork » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:42 pm

Looks like you have a 64 bit machine.... make sure to start with DISK 2 (for win7-64) not DISK 1
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Finnkai » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:59 am

Thanks for these tips. Both programs now up and running!

Only problem encountered was in PSE10 install when I was told I needed to close "Dynamiclinkmanager" to continue installation. I had no idea what application this referred to and it took me a bit of online research to find out how to do this. The solution was to use "Task Manager" and then "End Process" (ignoring the dire warnings of possible disruption to the operating system).

Hope this may help someone else who hits the same problem.
Windows 7-64bit, Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz, Akasa Nero 2 Heatpipe CPU Cooler, Asus P6X58D-E X58 Gigabit 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard, 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz RAM, Sapphire HD 5670 512MB GDDR5 HDMI DVI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card.
Finnkai
New User
New User

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:51 pm

Finnkai wrote:they suggest you can uninstall the old one when you are happy the new version is working.

I suggest that you take plenty of time to ascertain that everything you are accustomed to using in the 7 bundle is in fact present in the 10 bundle.

Many of the features that I use in the 7 bundle are absent in 10, and that is why I did not "upgrade."

P.S. I have hundreds of creations, especially slide shows, that I began with the 7 Organizer and that I might someday wish to re-edit, so even if there were some features in the 10 bundle that felt I needed, I would never "convert" my 7 catalog.

Instead, I would copy the media that I wanted to use with 10 onto a separate HDD and then open only those with 10.

In general, it's always best to open a creation with the same software that you used to create it.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:56 pm

Also, if you're totally unfamiliar with the interface, I recommend you start with our free 8-part Basic Training tutorial series.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... 2&btn.y=15
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 10