They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

What happens when I delete Media Cache Files folder?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

What happens when I delete Media Cache Files folder?

Postby zenhog » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:16 am

My Media Cache Files folder is 70 GB. Although I've read those files are supposed to be "pointers" I swear there are full size mp3 and video media files in there. I tried the "clean" comman in the Preferences menu but there's still a lot of stuff in there I don't want. What happens if I delete those files and then open a project that relies on them. Will it rebuild them?
zenhog
New User
New User

Re: What happens when I delete Media Cache Files folder?

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:57 am

If they are just media cache files you can safely delete them as they will be recreated as necessary.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:50 am

But, make sure you aren't deleting your source media or project file.

The project file (the one with the .prel suffix) contains pointers to the source media, but if a video or audio file needs preview files generated or audio needs to be conformed etc., those files will be created in the cache folders within the project folder. Also, the default location for captured audio or video is also in the project folder.

Are you creating a separate folder for each project? It's a best practice to leave the scratch disk locations at the default "same as project" setting and create each new project in its own separate folder.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:40 pm

Bob wrote:It's a best practice to leave the scratch disk locations at the default "same as project" setting and create each new project in its own separate folder.

Bob, is it therefore necessary to move to another disk when one has, say, only 50GB of defragmented free space remaining on the disk that one is usingfor both scratch and projects?

Also, I seem to remember a recommendation that, for optimum performance, one shouldn't use more than 90% of the available disk space. Is that correct?

:?:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:12 pm

That would be wise, George. It's virtually impossible to 100% fill a disc -- and it would probably be problematic if you tried.

A good rule of thumb is that an empty drive is a happy drive. The more wiggle room you have, the more stable your system tends to be. (Although this is more true of the C drive than the others -- but still true for all to some extent.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby zenhog » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:20 pm

Thanks guys. Just to be safe I'll mvoe the folder and if the app doesn't puke I'll delete it. I'm dealing with the same issue mentioned in the thread - low on disk space. In fact there's about 15% of my space tied up in that cache folder.

I've started using the practice of creating a folder for each project based on learning that here on this forum. I daily thank my lucky stars I found you guys.

Thanks again,
C
zenhog
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 10