They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Problems capturing miniDV and HDV with Win 7 64-bit?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Problems capturing miniDV and HDV with Win 7 64-bit?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:06 am

Many users have experienced issues with FireWire devices not working with Win7-64. Often, those same devices worked with their previous OS, but not now. The cameras are not being recognized, or their other FireWire devices are just not being seen.

This appears to be related to the IEEE-1394 FireWire driver that Win7-64 installs by default, at least in most cases.

The "fix" is to go to Device Management, and locate the driver used for FireWire. One would replace that default driver with the one with the word "Legacy" in its name. Fairly simple to do, and it fixes FireWire/IEEE-1394 issues for most users.

* Click Windows Start orb; type "device manager" into the Search box and select Device Manager (or launch Device Manager anyway you like)
* Swivel open the "IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers" item
* Right-click on your listed 1394 controller; select "Update Driver Software"
* Click the "Browse my computer for driver software" button, followed by the "Let me pick from a list" button
* Select the option that has "(Legacy)" at the end of the name; click Next and let the driver be installed
* Close out of dialogs and retry capture
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Problems capturing miniDV and HDV with Win 7 64-bit?

Postby Chris Stross » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:46 pm

I have had no problem with external firewire drives, just the camera. It was compounded by what turned out to be a broken firewire socket on the camera. With that fixed I ran into the problems I listed in the Sony HDR FX1000 post that you so promptly replied to. It is obviously something to do with 64 bit Windows. PRE 10 works fine on 32 bit (except PRE doesn't split clips when capturing, Not in V8 Not in V10,).

On 64bit, Legacy drivers didn't help. Switching to a Tecas Instruments card with the latest drivers allowed HDVSplit and Cyberlink Ultra 10 to operate correctly but not PRE 10.

So now I have a not terrible work around (HDV Split + PRE, or Catalyst) I can get on with life!
Chris Stross
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 10