They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Adding narration to existing project

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Adding narration to existing project

Postby richlab » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:13 am

Dear Steve or anyone else who can help:

I have an existing project in PE10 where I recorded narration without any problem. The WAV files were placed automatically on the narration track.

However, when I returned to the project later to record more narration, it would not allow me to add any additional narration to the narration track. I had to record the narration in a new project (where it added it to the narration track without any problems) and then go to "get media" and import the WAV files from the "new" project to place in the current project.

Obviously, that is a slower way of doing it and it keeps me from being able to see the clips in the current project while recording the narration.

I have looked at all the help instructions and checked all available settings in PE10 and can't solve the problem. I know the mic is working fine because I can record the narration in a new project. I just can't figure out how to record it on the narration track in an existing project.

Thanks for your help.

(By the way, Steve, we still have not been able to solve the problem with my wife's computer from October -- the preferences file in her PE10 organizer is corrupted, and you can't open it. We have spent literally hours on the phone with Adobe customer support, and none of the solutions they suggested have worked. We have downloaded updated drivers to her video card and done many other things. The preferences section works fine in the project itself on her computer; it just doesn't work in the organizer. Her computer is new -- 8gb of RAM, 2gb Nvidia card).

I appreciate anyone who can solve the narration problem for me. Richard
richlab
New User
New User

Re: Adding narration to existing project

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:39 am

It's possible to manually delete her preferences for the program and, depending on which operating system you're using, we can probably direct you to it. That may solve the issue. Meantime, running Advanced System Care Free can often fix mystery problems like this.
http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

As for narration, make sure that your CTI playhead isn't positioned over an existing narration clip and your Narration tool should work.

But if you tried recording narration to a blank area of the timeline and it still won't work, I'm not sure what's causing it. Sorry.

BTW, you can include your computer specs as part of your signature so that it will show up under everything you post, as I've done. It's a great way to let everyone know the basics of your system without having to retype it in every time you have a question.

To change your signature, just click on the User Control Panel link at the top of any page on this forum.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby richlab » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:59 pm

Dear Steve:

Thanks so much for your answer. Her computer is a Dell XPS using Windows 7. If you could direct me to the preferences file in PE10 organizer (we've tried to find the right one to delete before), I would sure appreciate it.

When it comes to the narration problem, I did try to add narration to a blank part of the narration track and and I also tried to add it just beyond where the video ended, but neither worked. I could not add narration to the existing project directly but had to import the WAV files from a new projecy.

Thanks again, and I appreciate your telling me where to find the organizer preferences file.

(I'll add information to the signature for this forum soon).

Richard
richlab
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:36 pm

Richard, I don't know if this will be helpful at all (you may have already seen it), but here's the Adobe info regarding the topic:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereele ... E6D1F.html

When I record narration I never use that function out of PrEl so I'm not going to be much help directly. However, I do have a workaround. You can use Windows Sound Recorder (All Programs>Accessories) to record your narration while you watch your video in PrEl. First turn your volume mute on so that there won't be any sound coming from your project. With your project open and set to the point where you want to begin, start Sound Recorder and click on the record button. switch back to PrEl and begin your video. Sound Recorder will continue to record in the background while you watch your video. When finished, switch back to Sound Recorder and stop the recording. It will then pop up a Save dialog box. Give it a name and save it to a location of your choice. Note that this will be a wma extension, but it will work fine. You can then use Add Media to bring it into your PrEl project. You'll need to trim some off of the beginning and end, but that's easily done.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Is your Windows 7 the 32-bit or 64-bit version? Their file systems are different.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:26 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Is your Windows 7 the 32-bit or 64-bit version? Their file systems are different.

I don't think so Steve, both file system are NTFS unless you are talking about something else.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:48 am

I believe the 64-bit version of Windows 7 stores Application Data in a different place than the 32-bit version does -- at least Application Data for 64-bit programs. But I could be confusing it with Mac OSX. This is what I get for trying to be tri-lingual!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:53 pm

The joys of being tri-lingual...

When you said "file system", I think you meant "file locations." As Chuck said, the file system is the same, NTFS, in both 32-bit and 64-bit. But, in 64-bit Windows 7, application files are installed in different locations. 64-bit applications are installed in "c:\Program Files" while 32-bit applications are installed in "c:\Program Files (x86)". Appdata is in the same location -- within the private user area.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:26 pm

So which file should rich delete or rename in order to force the program to rebuild the preference file?

I believe it's as easy as renaming folder "10.0" in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements to "10.0 old" and then restarting the program, isn't it?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby richlab » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:15 pm

Dear Everyone:

Sorry it's taken me this long to add the additional information. My wife's computer is a 64-bit Windows 7 system (Dell XPS).

Now that I've confirmed that, should I follow the suggested path to the preferences file and rename or delete it?

Thanks again for all your help. Richard
richlab
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:30 am

Disclaimer: I do not have version 10 installed, I cannot verify the locations and names.

"C:\Documents and Settings\" is a Windows XP convention. Windows 7 does not use that. The specific location will depend on whether the application was installed for only the current user or for all users. This Adobe Knowledge base article provides information for various versions. http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/859/cpsid_85996.html. For Windows 7, that is

All Users: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\Catalog Name

Current User: C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\Catalog Name

That's where the catalog is located. The supporting files are supposed to be in the same folder, but look in the higher level catalog file if the prefs are not there. Do not delete or rename the catalog. The Organizer preferences file was named psa.prf in previous versions, I'm not sure if thats still the case. With Elements and the Organizer closed, rename it to psa.old and restart the Organizer. The prefs file should be recreated.
Bob

Postby richlab » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:52 pm

Thanks to Bob and Steve and everyone else, but it did not work.

I found the folder that Bob had mentioned, and then I found the "psa" file as well. I changed that to "psaold" and restarted PE10 and the Organizer. I also did it with every other file in that folder.

I think that PE10 may be rebuilding the preferences file in Organizer after I changed the names, but it doesn't matter. Whatever is on my wife's computer that prevents us from getting access to the Organizer's preferences file is still blocking the way. It doesn't matter that the preferences file is rebuilt. We can't get to it whether it old or new.

If anyone has other suggestions, I would appreciate hearing them. Steve, I could try Advanced SystemCare (you sent me the link), but is there any downside is doing that? We already use Norton 360, so I'm hesitant to download another program to clean things up or solve problems. Please let me know.

Thanks again.
richlab
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:20 pm

Actually, many tech guys consider Norton to be more a virus than a helpful program. At least one offers a "Norton Removal Tool", since the program is so intrusive. But I'm sure they're just being cynical. A number of our Muvipixers use Norton and love it.

But give Advanced System Care a try anyway. It won't cost you anything, and it might fix the problem.

One thing to watch though: When you install the program, it offers to also install a toolbar on your web browsers. You can choose not to (or easily uninstall it later) -- but you've got to watch for the option screen if you want to avoid it.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:17 pm

some thoughts concerning the problem with the Organizer Preferences --
Reset the Elements Organizer 10 preferences. Hold down the Ctrl + Alt + Shift keys (Windows) or Option + Command + Shift keys (Mac OS) immediately after you choose to open Elements Organizer 10 or Elements Organizer on the Welcome Screen
1 -- Above is a quote form the Adobe Organizer PDF file. I have added the emphasis by bold for the description of the timing and I will further emphasize that it is the start of the Organizer function of Elements.

FYI - I am not sure from the discussion here if you have already attempted this method.

2 -- I suggest that you post the exact folder path where you found the Organizer Preferences file.
Then someone running v10 Organizer on Windows 7 64 bit can confirm that it is the same on their system. Also, what do the date created and date last modified show for the Preferences file?

3- could this be a permissions problem ? does that Windows userid have Administrator authority ?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Adding narration to existing pr oject

Postby Barb O » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:45 pm

additional info for the Organizer Preferences problem

Here is a recommendation from the Adobe site Photoshop Elements forum that might help.
deleting your preference files from Users\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Elements Organizer\9.0\Organizer - status.dat and psa.prf.

I believe that v10 the path would be the same except for changing 9.0 to 10.0. Note also that the actual path you will find in Windows Explorer may be Users\specific Windows userid\AppData then continuing as stated in the quote.

What I found interesting about this recommendation is that it suggests deleting the status.dat file in addition to the psa.prf. So please try that.

FYI - This (also deleting status.dat) may solve the problem but even if it is not immediately the solution, it may be a good clue because some of the settings manipulated by the Organizer Edit Preferences command are in files other than the specific psa.prf file. Therefore, when you post back your results we will know if further investigation is necessary.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 10