They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Microphone Question

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Microphone Question

Postby Lammy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:00 pm

This may not be the spot for it but I'll give it a whirl.

One of the main reasons why I updated software as well as my system was to record and make videos of my wife singing. With her being a good singer we thought it'd be a good hobby for her to sing/record and for me to make videos out of said recording. With that being said, I hooked our mic (MXL V67 condenser microphone) up to our iMac (specs below) through a 48 VDC phantom power box. Now I can pick up a little audio but nothing like it should. You have to have your mouth right up next to it and be loud for it to pick up...while I YouTube recordings online and people are probably a good foot away from the mic and it picks them up nicely. Anyone knows what I'm doing wrong?

Oh....and yes......I married out of my league :-5
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 gigs RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2 MB graphics card, 2 TB SATA (interal) + 1 TB (external) drives, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2. Also, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, 2 gigs RAM,
Lammy
New User
New User

Re: Microphone Question

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:06 pm

Have you ensured that microphone is selected as your audio source? (If it's a USB mike, for instance, ensure that it is the selected audio source for your recording program.) You may have this microphone plugged in but still be recording your audio through the computer's built-in microphone (which all iMacs have on their built-in web cams).
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Lammy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Steve:

That I do know for sure :)

Here is how I got it connected starting with the electrical wall outlet:

1) Wall outlet
2) Phantom Power Nady Audio SMPS-1X Power Supply
3)Audio input jack (back of iMac).

Like I noted above, I get some sound but I have to not only be on top of the mic but basically yell into it to get a normal level....

This is driving me crazy!
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 gigs RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2 MB graphics card, 2 TB SATA (interal) + 1 TB (external) drives, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2. Also, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, 2 gigs RAM,
Lammy
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:02 am

But you do need to check your software's configuration. It's not enough that you have the microphone plugged in. Especially on a Mac, you have to tell each program which input device to take the audio from.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Lammy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:56 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:But you do need to check your software's configuration. It's not enough that you have the microphone plugged in. Especially on a Mac, you have to tell each program which input device to take the audio from.

I apologize for the ignorance but this would deal with going under the system preferences, sound and then clicking the audio-in and not the internal mic correct? I apologize if its a bit more complex...I'm relatively new to Mac's so I'm still in the learning stage of everything.

When I do that I can it to register on the sound bar...but only a few bars (with me yelling and hovering over the mic). When I select the internal mic I and talk in a normal voice from a few feet away its nearly maxes out the bar.

Again I appreciate you guys.
Lammy
New User
New User

Postby LarryGB » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:01 pm

Just a thought, reading your post, and not knowing if' its been answered. Does the Mac have a Mic input port or just a Line-In port?
A powered or standard mic probably does not have enough output for a Line-In port. You would have to use a mixer of sorts, Mic to mixer to Line-In. The mixer will have a small amplification, to raise [or balance] the lower level output from the mic, to the higher level required by the Line-In port. This is standard in audio work, but may be unique in the computer world. Most PC's have Line In, and Mic In jacks. Some have Line Out jacks. And most have speaker or headphone jack outputs. Each has a different level of in and out, and must be matched according to device connected.
I use a EuroRack 802 [sub $100] for just that purpose. Various inputs, like a condenser Mic, or Dynamic Mic, or Audio input, can be mixed and balanced to the input of your PC or Mac. USB input versions are also available, depending on your preferences.
Hope that helps.
Home System: Acer M460 Win7Pro-64 - 4gb Ram - E5200 2.5ghz Pent Dual Core - 160gb Boot - 500gb Data
Sanyo Xacti CG9 HDV 1280x1024 Waterproof - Adobe PrE 10.0 64bit & PsE 10.0 64bit
LarryGB
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 10