They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Reading from tracks:

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Reading from tracks:

Postby Lammy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:45 pm

Ok...so I'm making a movie and for some reason the video on the higher tracks (say track 2) overrule the ones on the lower tracks. When I say overrule I mean they cover up the other video. For example I am customizing a title with lettering in different areas, I am deleting all the background so all that I'm using is the text boxes....and no they are not in the same spots :) I always thought that it read lower to higher?

Is this a new thing or am I just remembering wrong?
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 gigs RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2 MB graphics card, 2 TB SATA (interal) + 1 TB (external) drives, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2. Also, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, 2 gigs RAM,
Lammy
New User
New User

Re: Reading from tracks:

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:28 pm

s this a new thing or am I just remembering wrong?

That's the way its always worked. The timeline is a stack with track 1 at the bottom of the stack, track 2 is on top of that, track 3 is on top of that, and so forth. The image is built up from the bottom to the top, but Its like those old book illustrations with acetate overlays. The bottom layer is the base image and each layer (track) you add on top covers up part of the image where opaque and shows the layers (tracks) below where transparent.
Bob

Postby Lammy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:43 am

From confirming on here how it used to be I got messing around with it some more and discovered that they have made it where you don't have to combine multiple titles to make one. You just simply add them all into one creating your own spacing and such where you want each title to pop up and then add your own animation to each.

It was one of those things that was driving me crazy but once I figured it out....well.....let me just say that I went from ](*,) to :TU:
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 gigs RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2 MB graphics card, 2 TB SATA (interal) + 1 TB (external) drives, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2. Also, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, 2 gigs RAM,
Lammy
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:30 am

Glad you got that worked out. :-D The titler is very flexible and powerful. You can do a lot with it once you know how it works.
Bob

Postby Lammy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:06 pm

I'm still having issues with this.

For whatever reason it keeps reading the video from the higher up tracks and not from the bottom (starting with 1). For example....track 1 will be a color video.....track 2 will be in black and white (same video)....it will read from track two.

Man I've been out of this game for too long!

Also...I'm trying to do a color pass through...can someone remind me which effect that is again?
Lammy
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:37 pm

The tracks are like a stack of paper with track 1 at the bottom of the stack. When you place another piece of paper on the stack (i.e. track 2) you cover up the sheet below. You won't see any of track 1 unless there are holes (i.e. transparency) in track 2.

There are different types of color pass through, it depends on what you are trying to do. If you don't care about shapes and just want a specific color to pass through you would use the Color Pass effect on a colored clip -- it will convert everything but the selected color to black and white. If you are concerned with shapes, for example you want the colored track to show through the black and white in the shape of text in a title, you would use the track matte key effect to punch a hole in the black and white track.
Bob

Postby Lammy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:54 pm

Bob wrote:The tracks are like a stack of paper with track 1 at the bottom of the stack. When you place another piece of paper on the stack (i.e. track 2) you cover up the sheet below. You won't see any of track 1 unless there are holes (i.e. transparency) in track 2.

There are different types of color pass through, it depends on what you are trying to do. If you don't care about shapes and just want a specific color to pass through you would use the Color Pass effect on a colored clip -- it will convert everything but the selected color to black and white. If you are concerned with shapes, for example you want the colored track to show through the black and white in the shape of text in a title, you would use the track matte key effect to punch a hole in the black and white track.

For whatever reason I was thinking it was the total opposite of what you just described (in terms of the stack of paper example). That made sense...appreciate it!

I'll blame the year I spent in Iraq and their bad air quality on my "slowness" in learning this new program #-o
Lammy
New User
New User

Postby Lammy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:32 pm

Ok I'm back from watching my Iowa Hawkeyes get destroyed by Ohio State :(

I am trying to find the color pass through but can't. Help again 8-[
Lammy
New User
New User

Postby Lammy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:25 pm

From exploring Google it was mentioned that the Mac version doesn't have the color pass effect? Is this true?
Lammy
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:42 pm

That's true, it's not available on Macintosh. I saw you had both Windows and Mac in your signature, but wasn't sure which you were using for editing.

If you have PrE on your Windows PC, it's in the Image Control section of video effects. Go to Edit>Effects and type color pass in the search box. Apply the effect to the clip and display the properties panel. Twirl open the Color Pass properties and use the eyedropper to select the color to pass. If you only have PrE on the Mac, you'll have to use some other method.
Bob

Postby Lammy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:46 pm

I now only have a Mac so I'll have to update that.

You have any ideas on what some other options might be? It is disappointing to know that some of these features were left out on Mac. I should have done a more thorough of a job researching to start off with. However, thats all on me.

As always, I appreciate your response.
Lammy
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 10