They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

My Theory Why Software Programs are Hard for Some

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

My Theory Why Software Programs are Hard for Some

Postby braindeadsoftwareguy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:24 am

Here is my theory why software such as video and audio editing is difficult for some folks such as I. Some people are right brained and some are left. The right or artistic minds are more abstract and lateral thinking, whereas lefties are analytical and linear.
Many people who use editors have already proven themselves artistic and right-brained, so using this software comes easier and fits in with their mindset. They are probably good at video games also.
People like me are linear engineering types with less artistic ability are looking for clear and distinctive logical controls and so using these programs is overwhelming. I can't take good photos and don't know composition and am lost in these things.

A friend of mine was a computer programmer all his life. He is very left-brained. He has troubles with abstact programs and video games without instruction. He did more mathmatical programs. He has said there is a disconnect between the programmer and being able to explain the interface for users. He figures this is why companies don't supply good manuals with the discs.
braindeadsoftwareguy

Re: My Therory Why Software Programs are Hard for Some

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:02 am

Interesting theory, bd.

Although I'm very much an analytical. I've even been diagnosed as such in an official personality test at my last employer. But I'm an analytical who also loves to tell stories.

The good news is that my analytical side makes for some very clearly organized and structured books!

But I also have fun playing with the software and exploring unique ways to present material and tell stories. Which is how I ended up spending the last 15 years as a graphic designer and 10 years before that in motion picture development.

So hopefully I'm a left-brainer who speaks the language of an artist -- or vice versa.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:50 am

Steve,
Like myself you sound like a conflicted individual :-5 . The proverbial square peg in the round hole as it were. I like to think of it as adapting to your environmet :pull: .

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:39 am

This is one of the primary reasons that Muvipix exists, most of us have been in the same position at some point. I've been a programmer for the past 12 years and started with Premiere Elements 1.
It takes some commitment and time but you can learn the software well enough to produce some amazing videos. There are plenty of people here willing to help in any way they can :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:45 am

Very interesting theory. I'm an ex-accounting person & guess you could say that would be very detailed with no abstract. If it balances it balances and has to be down to the penny.

On the other hand I have tons of patience. And I have a strong desire to find out how stuff works. Even in accounting there was cause & effect to the bottom line. IRS doesn't allow for creative accounting, but you can be strategic when it comes to purchases, hiring, etc. ;)

Like Chuck posted it takes a commitment of time to learn the program. Once you do, some of the same principles can be applied to other programs and it makes things easier to figure out. I use process of elimination often when there is a problem. The fun part is trying to figure out how to do an effect and by accident you create something entirely different that you like better.

One of the many good things about Muvipix is that help is nearby. :-D
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby braindeadsoftwareguy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:42 pm

I guess my frustration, or maybe anger, is that one shouldn't have to have patience or long term commitment to understand how to use a tool.
There are two aspects here. One is having an idea on creating a certain movie and figuring what you need to do to manipulate the clips. The other is the way in which you achieve that goal. This is where the program lets me down, because without direction, the icons, file names, terminology means very little. I could have the patience and resolve to build a movie, if I knew how to find and use the controls. This info doesn't come with software packages. I would pay extra for that. The book by Steve has arrived now and I can do some armchair reading with a cup of coffee to get an overview which is my style. (I even do that when I get an IKEA furniture piece to get the order of assembly) That book should have been put out by adobe IMHO.

I am strictly analogue in all things, so this lateral menu style operational system is hard for me in many things. New music technology, my camera and even figuring out where to go to set my car clock. #-o
In the Super 8 days you took film and ran it through a mechanical editor and found the frame you wanted, the snipped it and so on, then you could physically splice the pieces together and make a film. This PRE10 has virtual editing, but coming in cold, doesn't make it clear where these are found and how to control them.
I have trouble with music editors in just the same way. My son had a music program that would have been right up my alley. Instead of looking at a didital display and so on, you could actually see a physical image of a rack of components and virtually turn knobs and unplug phone jacks and stick them in various sockets. That would be great for me in all software so I had it visually clear. Again, I'd pay more for that.
braindeadsoftwareguy

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Well, there are simple alternatives, of course. iMovie and Windows MovieMaker are as simple as any editors could possibly be -- but somewhat limited because of it.

Adobe has tried to keep Premiere Elements as simple and uncluttered as possible (to the frustration of some users, who'd prefer it look and feel more like the Pro version) without sacrificing power and versatility.

Hopefully our books will bridge the gap, and soon Premiere Elements will be as intuitive for you as it is for many of us!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby wyzboing » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:25 pm

I am enjoying your interesting conversation.

I've never played computer games but I think PRE and PSE must be a bit like gaming as they are constantly presenting you with new challenges. I suppose it helps to have a creative brain though. My husband is who is more of an academic and sporty type is happy just stringing a few clips together and adding a tune of some sort. To me each movie is a work of art. (That is in my eyes but probably not to you experts) As with any software I start with an idea of what I want to create and then will push the software (and my limited pc ram) until I find a way of achieving my goal. Often there are serendipitous revelations along the way which spur you on to your next project because having discovered new techniques you just HAVE to use them.

I agree though, a manual is always a good thing as I like to know just how and why something works the way it does. Also I forget things if I haven't done them for a while so it's always good to be able to go back and check on settings or procedures. My first port of call is usually the online Adobe help files and knowledge base - asking you guys usually when I need a higher opinion!! (Though I usually try and search the forums first before posting).

Regards
wyzboing

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:41 pm

I think of the software as less like playing a video game and more like painting.

If you just want to do some basic paint-by-numbers, there are kits for that.

If you want to work with basic oils, you can do that. But, if you want to paint your own Mona Lisa, you need to learn some advanced techniques. And, if you want photo realism, you've got to master mixing and blending.

So it all depends on how deep you want to go. There are folks on this forum who do amazing videos with some basics tools. And then there are people who, with the same program, can create something jaw-droppingly amazing!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chris B » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:43 pm

It's an interesting discussion. When I describe why I like Video Editing to people it's because it is a mix of technical and artistic. For example there's lots of discussion about CODECs, White Balance, bit rates etc. (etc. etc. etc. ;) ) But there's things like the need to do a cut before people leave a scene - why - because it looks good. It's the same with the rule of thirds - it "just works". So you've got this odd combination of skills.

Lastly I think that video work is just plain complicated and well outside the experience of most people. As such doing it well is hard work and no matter how "easy" a program is to use if you've still got a huge learning curve. Just my 2p's worth.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Bubby Grub » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi all,

I found this to be a very interesting discussion, so thought I would put my 2 cents worth in. I am defitinitely no computer whiz especially on the technical side. But over the years I have found the best way to learn a program is lots of patience, and a will to try anything. I am one of these people that can read books, listen to all sorts of tutorials, have people tell me how to do something, but the only way I ever achieve anything is doing it hands on, trying things out for yourself and learning by your mistakes. Don't get me wrong books and tutorials are invaluable, but hands on is the best and only way for me.

My hubby was the one who originally started out doing this, when we first got a small digital camera way back, and at that time thought what a great idea it would be to put some music behind all those photos you seem to take at some time or another. I think after the first one, we found that to be rather boring and looked for another alternative, seemed to remind me of those days when people would have a slide night, and I looked for ways to avoid that particular night. Our next alternative was Pinnacle which I then started using, when I had a sudden idea to scan all my wedding photos in, and thanks to a friend who I had known since childhood suggested why don't I do something on both families from our childhood to present time, well it went from there, and now I am the one wanting to learn all different effects, and I agree with Cheryl, the fun part is trying new effects and finding you achieve something by accident and liking it better.

I left Pinnacle because it was far to unreliable for me and went to PE3, then 4, 7, and now 10. I guess what I am trying to say don't be afraid of playing with any program, I always figure you have nothing to loose, but plenty to gain. To coin a phrase I once heard my Dad say many years ago when I was small, "amazing what she can do when she likes it". I have always remembered that, and I know now I agree with him. I love what I do, and that's the major key, and having communities like Muvipix around is in invaluable.

Anyway just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers
When all else fails, Hug your Teddy.
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: My Theory Why Software Programs are Hard for Some

Postby braindeadsoftwareguy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:01 am

Lots of talk of technical things and codecs, etc. Also being masterful and artistic. When I bought this software, it had playful kids on the box, and lots of statements about how easy and fun it will be and it looked quite user friendly for the most inexperienced. When I loaded it and saw this formidable work space I was shocked. It turned out to be semi-pro and not what I expected. I thought it would be a more glorified Movie Maker. Then no manual was the cruncher.

I have been reading the beginning of Steve's book and will slowly assimilate what I read.
braindeadsoftwareguy

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:26 am

Can't go wrong with the maestro's books!! :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:38 am

braindeadsoftwareguy wrote:Then no manual was the cruncher.

There is a manual, and a rather good one actually, it is not printed but rather online.
You will find it here;
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereele ... index.html

Getting Started Shortcuts
http://www.adobe.com/support/premiereel ... index.html

Organizer manual here;
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/elementsorg ... index.html

And there are lots of support articles, documents and tutorials as well
http://www.adobe.com/support/premiereelements/

Not many manuals are being printed anymore, that goes for just about anything.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Greg mgm » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:34 pm

I've downloaded many editing programs and found that PE is the most intuitive for me. That doesn't mean it's intuitive for everyone. I can look at other editing programs and be completely stumped as to how it works....so I know the feeling.

My suggestion is to learn a few basic editing skills and use them repeatedly so you'll remember them. Learn fade in, magnify view, split clip and fade out. I use those a lot. Start a project just for learning so if it get's messed up, no biggie. You can do a lot with just basic editing skills.

BTW, where do you live Softwareguy?
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to PRE Version 10