They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Green screen experiment and timeline questions

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Re: Green screen experiment and timeline questions

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:09 pm

What format of video is on your timeline and what are your project settings, bd? Mine is from a miniDV camcorder and in a project set up for DV.

It's possible that some formats (MPEGs, for instance) may not include the ability to display every frame, since not every frame in an MPEG actually includes the entire video.

Just a thought. I haven't tested it or anything. But what video are you editing so we can see if I or someone else can duplicate your experience?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby braindeadsoftwareguy » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:39 pm

Yes it was an mpeg. My camera makes an hd format but I usually dumb it down with the software supplied to mpeg. I understand my computer wouldn't do well with hd. My little point and shoot camera is AVI. I would ask then, which formats cannot be expanded with the film icons, and does this mean that one cannot do frame by frame editing with those particular ones?
braindeadsoftwareguy

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:59 am

I didn't realize your video wasn't coming directly from your camcorder. That could be part of the issue.

What happens if you use video taken from the camcorder by the Video Importer (under Get Media/From Flip AVCHD and Hard Disk Camcorder)?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby braindeadsoftwareguy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:38 pm

I have not tried that yet. If I were making a movie though, wouldn't I need the various clips to be stored in the PC that will be spliced together and manipulated at some future date and not from the camera? Then if I can't expand the timeline, how would I mix and match or play with the frames ?

Your book recommends firewire also. I don't have that ability and have to use USB,
braindeadsoftwareguy

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:23 pm

The Video Importer (under Get Media/From Flip AVCHD and Hard Disk Camcorder) transfers the clips from the camera to the PC. Firewire is needed to transfer/capture video from tape based camcorders, that's not what you have -- USB is fine.

... if I can't expand the timeline, how would I mix and match or play with the frames ?

The timeline does not display all the frames in the clip. It just displays samples to give you a hint as to the contents of the clip. They aren't used for editing and some people turn them off or only display the first frame to not clutter up the timeline display. The number of frame samples shown depends on the length of the clip and how much you are zoomed into the timeline. I suspect you aren't see seeing the effect of clicking on the frame display icon because you are zoomed out too far. Try zooming in and see if that makes a difference. The zoom control is above the timeline.

You edit at specific frames by moving the Current Time Indicator to the specific location where you want to make the edit. The frame at that location will be displayed in the monitor window.
Bob

Postby braindeadsoftwareguy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:46 pm

Bob wrote:The Video Importer (under Get Media/From Flip AVCHD and Hard Disk Camcorder) transfers the clips from the camera to the PC. Firewire is needed to transfer/capture video from tape based camcorders, that's not what you have -- USB is fine.

... if I can't expand the timeline, how would I mix and match or play with the frames ?

The timeline does not display all the frames in the clip. It just displays samples to give you a hint as to the contents of the clip. They aren't used for editing and some people turn them off or only display the first frame to not clutter up the timeline display. The number of frame samples shown depends on the length of the clip and how much you are zoomed into the timeline. I suspect you aren't see seeing the effect of clicking on the frame display icon because you are zoomed out too far. Try zooming in and see if that makes a difference. The zoom control is above the timeline.

You edit at specific frames by moving the Current Time Indicator to the specific location where you want to make the edit. The frame at that location will be displayed in the monitor window.

I'm thinking a way ahead of my objective to lay down two or more video tracks with the same audio track but me on different instruments. I thought I'd need to see the scenes one on top of the other, i.e Video 1, video 2, etc. Then I thought I'd be shuffling sections of the timeline to show me strumming and singing, then to me on lead guitar and so on. How does the zoom feature work in that situation? Won't I need to see all the frames of each track to know which sections to shuffle. Of course I'll have to learn how to do the shuffling without missing a beat.
braindeadsoftwareguy

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:08 pm

The zoom control only affects how the movie appears on the timeline, not how long the movie plays or how the movie looks on the screen. It's there to help you do your edits. Sometimes you'll want to zoom into the timeline to make it easier to work on specific clips. Other times, you'll want to zoom out to see the entire timeline. Zoom only affect the horizontal dimension. The number of tracks displayed vertically will not change.

As I said, the "frames" you see on the timeline are just samples. At best, they can only give you a rough idea of what is at that location on the timeline. They are worthless when it comes to determining the precise frame at which to cut or trim a clip. You have to observe the monitor and move the Current Time Indicator to the point you want to edit. After you've trimmed off unwanted material from the beginning and end of the clips and split those that needed splitting, etc. You can move them around on the timeline as desired by simply clicking on the clip in the timeline and dragging to the location you want to place them. You'll need to learn how the modifier keys work to contol how the move will affect other clips on the timeline.

There are a set of eight Premiere Elements basic training videos in the learning section of the free downloads. They were made using an earlier version of the program, but they are still applicable. It would be well worth your time watching them. Go to the free downloads section and search on the terms "Premiere Elements basic training".
Bob

Postby roadsideron » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:39 pm

If I understand you correctly, you want to take, say, a far shot and hold that for a few seconds, then zoom in on a specific portion for a few seconds. Is this correct? If so you can do it two different ways. One with splitting the clip and the other with keyframes. You can split the clip where you want to zoom, then in the properties panel zoom in and center the part you want to show in the video. The other is to set key frames then zoom in and adjust the portion you want to show. With keyframes you can smoothly zoom in and out but it takes more practice.
roadsideron
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby braindeadsoftwareguy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:27 pm

roadsideron wrote:If I understand you correctly, you want to take, say, a far shot and hold that for a few seconds, then zoom in on a specific portion for a few seconds. Is this correct? If so you can do it two different ways. One with splitting the clip and the other with keyframes. You can split the clip where you want to zoom, then in the properties panel zoom in and center the part you want to show in the video. The other is to set key frames then zoom in and adjust the portion you want to show. With keyframes you can smoothly zoom in and out but it takes more practice.

My goal was to film me to be playing an electric guitar with all it's twiddly-bits and solo for the entire song. Then a parallel film of the same song in a different role singing and playing an accoustc. I would monitor the sound to have it in sync. Then in editing I would have these simultaneous tracks (or more maybe) that I would switch back and forth between the tracks to highlight either the singing part, or the solo parts. The idea was to simuulate watching a band on TV where the camera views the various artists.

To add to the mix, I would make each individual tracks as green screen with an interesting background. i.e. the Grand Ole Opry to give the illusion "we're" on stage. :bnd:
braindeadsoftwareguy

Postby roadsideron » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:04 pm

That wouldn't be to hard to do. You just place your main video on track 3, then place all of your other tracks on 2 and 1, etc. Where ever you want clips to appear in place of the main clip you just splice and remove the portion from track 3 and it should show through as the main clip. I believe the overlay tracks go below track 1. If not, just reverse the order in the tracks.
roadsideron
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:27 am

It's actually even easier than that Ron :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby braindeadsoftwareguy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm

Easier!! That is my goal......always :-D
So how is there an easier way then?
:fg:
braindeadsoftwareguy

Postby braindeadsoftwareguy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:53 pm

Couldn't resist this, since Steve has a "Green Screen" background
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
braindeadsoftwareguy

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:55 am

Nice effect, but -- it kind of gives me a headache!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:27 am

braindeadsoftwareguy wrote:Easier!! That is my goal......always :-D
So how is there an easier way then?
:fg:

Lay your video on tracks, one above the other (Timeline View Required).
Then simply use the yellow Opacity bar to lower the opacity on tracks you don't want to see.

I explain all about it in my two part tutorial on Multi Track Editing (these tutorials are for subscribers only)
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to PRE Version 10