They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Jumpin photos!

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Jumpin photos!

Postby MaryAnne » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:08 am

Hey all,

Been reading about unhappiness with 8 & 10 Premiere. Funny, I loved 8, worked great for me once I got the hang of the sizing and don't save to dvd idea. So I treated myself to 10 and now I went and bought a case of aspirin.

After I had 3 tries at downloading - there is NO excuse for Adobe not giving some 3 step install instructions, I finally have the program "running?" So, I took a completed file and pulled it into 10 just to see what some of the workspace differences were. EVERY - I do mean every photo seems to have to "snap" into position. Say what? This video ran fine - transitions, music, movie backgrounds, etc was primo in 8. So I closed the file and tried another - yep, same thing. I have a newer machine so space, speed are not issues. It is a 64bit and that is what I loaded and finally found it in the Programs file - yet all the rest of the support stuff (like contents) are in the Program Files (x86). Is that right?

I looked through some comments but didn't see this topic - thoughts? Glad to see new book and some videos up. Wahoo

Thanks - Mary Anne
MaryAnne
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Jumpin photos!

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:17 am

MaryAnne wrote: I have a newer machine so space, speed are not issues. It is a 64bit and that is what I loaded and finally found it in the Programs file - yet all the rest of the support stuff (like contents) are in the Program Files (x86). Is that right?

Hi Mary Anne :)
Yes, that is correct, the content will be in the x86 folder but the application will be in Program Files.

I have absolutely loved version 10 more than any other since version 2. If you are having specific problems please let us know what they are so we can help :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:26 am

I agree with Chuck. I find v.10 runs great -- and even starts up faster than any version in years!

Can I ask what you mean when you say you "took a completed file and pulled it into 10 just to see what some of the workspace differences were"? You didn't open a project created in an older version of the program (like version 8), did you? That can lead to lots of problems -- and it's certainly not a good way to judge the performance of version 10!

And what is your source video? Is it photos that have been optimized to no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size?

BTW, can I also suggest running Advanced System Care (free) on your computer, just to give it a tune-up and clear out your junk and tmp files? You'll be amazed at how, even on a new computer, it stabilizes things and improves performance.
http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

Glad you're happy with our products, and thanks for your interest in our books! Muvipix has been a labor of love for us for nearly 5 years now, and we're thrilled to hear when we've helped somebody out!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby MaryAnne » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:50 pm

OOOPs :oops:

You are not supposed to open an old file (v.8) in a new version? It doesn't upgrade like a Word doc? Well, that is what I did. Do I understand that I should keep old versions of the program on my computer in case I have to go back into those files to make additions, etc? Didn't know that.

I'll try running the system care link to optimize performance. Then I'll start on a whole new project and get a more "true" feel for v.10.

Looking forward to more creative fun!
Thanks guys
Mary Anne Harris
MaryAnne
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:11 pm

Before opening a project in a new version you should always make a copy of the project file first.
Once the project file is opened and saved in the new version you cannot open it in the old version again unless you make a copy. Then you can always open the copy in the old version again ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Greg mgm » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:02 am

Maryanne- You mentioned that the photos "snap" into position. You can turn the snap feature off.
Personally I love that feature but it's a personal preference.
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 10