They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

BD Burn in PE 10

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

BD Burn in PE 10

Postby Deuce3 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:11 pm

I recently purchased Steve's Photoshop & Premiere Elements 10 Guide. It has provide many tips - especially on modifying DVD templates.

I capture video on my Hauppauge PVR, usually in TS (H264) format. The media/video file is 1280 X 720 with 59fps. My Project begins as AVCHD LITE 720p 30. Everything works great when I edit and burn 8.5 DVDs using AVCHD H264 1440 1080i. ( I assume I can not capture on PE10 with the Hauppauge PVR using the USB).

When I try to burn the same video to Blu-Ray, it burns as a DATA DISC and plays only as a stream on my BD player. It plays fine on my computer, including the DVD template. I have burned at least 8 BDs with the same result. Please help with any suggestions or let me know if additional info is needed. Thanks.

Windows 7 Pro, intel i7CPU, 970@3.2 GHz, 12 GB memory, 6 core, BD writer
Deuce3
New User
New User

Re: BD Burn in PE 10

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:44 pm

Welcome to Muvipix, Deuce! Glad you're finding the book helpful.

There's nothing in Premiere Elements or in your source video that would cause the program to burn a BluRay as a data disc. Most likely your problem is related to your media (the disc) itself or the disc players compatibility with home-burned discs. Sometimes this problem creeps in if you're using poor quality discs -- such as Memorex or other cheap brands. But it could also be your disc player. Some brands are more compatible with home burned discs than others.

Unfortunately, Premiere Elements doesn't let you control burn speed, because sometimes you can make a disc more compatible by burning it at half its rated speed. That's why many folks on this forum are supplementing Premiere Elements with a more versatile DVD/BluRay authoring program like DVD Architect Studio.

Meantime, if you can, try one of your disc's in a friend's BluRay player. You may find it works just fine.

But the bottom line is that this isn't a software-related problem.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Deuce3 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:32 pm

Thanks for the info. L
Deuce3
New User
New User

Postby Deuce3 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:02 pm

Sorry, I must have pressed "SUBMIT" prematurely.

I am using Verbatim BD-R 6X. I have tried Ritek/Ridata and Phillips also. I have burned many BD-R with other programs with success but I like the PE-10 features and templates. That is why I bought Elements and Photoshop 10. What is baffling is that the trial version burned a BD fine (with watermarks). Also I burned a short (10 minute) BD without a template and it plays fine on my player. I tried again with a 90 minute video and a template and it was a DATA DISC again. I do not understand.

Could I be burning in the wrong format? What Blu-Ray "Share" format do you recommend with my settings as described earlier? Should this make any difference? I also saved my edited project as suggested in your guide and then tried to burn the BD - same result.

Could I uninstall and reinstall in case there may be a corrupted file? If so, I guess I would deactivate first and reinstall with my serial number.

My Denon player has played every other disc I have burned and plays many that will not play on other folks players. I actually tried DVD Architect Studio and it did not work for me.

Sorry to ask again but I am stumped.
Deuce3
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:33 pm

I'm stumped too -- especially because you say it used to work.

It's not likely to be a software issue, as I said. Although if you did Share/Disc/BluRay at other than it's default settings (such as setting it to AVCHD), it could. But I assume you used the default settings.

If so, I'm not sure what else could be going on.

Meantime, it might be worth downloading the fully functional DVD Architect Studio 5 from Sony Creative Software and giving it a go. Just use Share/Computer/MPEG with the 1440x1080 30i setting to output your movie and import that into DVD Architect. You'll need to create your disc menus there -- but you have much more control over things like burn speed, etc. And it's one program that's really never failed me!

And, if you do decide to buy it, it's only $39!!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Deuce3 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:54 pm

Steve, I think I have solved the problem with your comments that helped eliminate some possible causes.

It was a mismatch problem! If I use a 1280x720 video and start my Project as AVCHD Lite 720p 30 and a non-HD DVD Template, everything works great for a 4.7 or 8.5 DVD disc using AVCHD burn.

If I use 1920x1080 video and start my Project as AVCHD Full HD 1080i 30 and use a non-HD DVD Template, it burns fine using 4.7 or 8.5 DVD or Blu-Ray Disc. I tried this on a BD and all is OK! I have not tried 1280x720 yet.

By the way, I use these settings in order to avoid "Black Lines" on the top and bottom of the DVD Template if I use a video background (Browse). Thanks for your patience and help.
Deuce3
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:26 pm

I'm not sure what that works, Deuce, but if it does, that's all that matters.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 10