They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Difference between Premiere Element 10 & Premiere Pro CS5

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 10.

Difference between Premiere Element 10 & Premiere Pro CS5

Postby ryan_khoo » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi there,

I have Premiere Elements 9 which I bought from the Adobe website electronically. I opened up & noticed it also can do multi-track so I supposed it is quite powerful. So what is the difference between PE10 & PP CS5 ?

Since PP CS5 is quite similar to Final Cut, I find PP CS5 more at home. Jumping ship to PP CS5 now since the new Final Cut Pro X is still an unfinished software with so many "handicaps".

Would appreciate if someone is kind enuf let me know the difference between PE10 & PP CS5 ?

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Difference between Premiere Element 10 & Premiere Pro CS

Postby Peru » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:42 pm

Only some of the advantages of Pro:

-multiple sequences (timelines) and nesting sequences.
-ability to copy or import between projects
-better audio controls
-time remapping (the ability to smoothly slow down, speed up, freeze, or reverse a clip using keyframes)
-ability to save custom workspaces
-CUDA and the Mercury Engine (the ability, with proper hardware, to rarely need to render for smooth playback)

One disadvantage is that it takes a more powerful computer to run Pro properly than it does to run Elements.
Peru

Postby Briantho » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:31 am

ryan_khoo wrote:...Jumping ship to PP CS5 now since the new Final Cut Pro X is still an unfinished software with so many "handicaps"...

Me too! Apart from Peru's list there's also an EXCELLENT multicamcorder facility. With Elements, FCE and FCP I always used the 'hack and whack' approach but with PPro it's a real joy.
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:44 am

Briantho wrote:
ryan_khoo wrote:...Jumping ship to PP CS5 now since the new Final Cut Pro X is still an unfinished software with so many "handicaps"...

Me too! Apart from Peru's list there's also an EXCELLENT multicamcorder facility. With Elements, FCE and FCP I always used the 'hack and whack' approach but with PPro it's a real joy.

Yes Brian,

The rumour is that Apple will release their multicam in early 2012.

Any idea why Apple release an "unfinished" software ?

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Jayell » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:00 am

You can undock the properties panel. I THINK someone said that was still not available in PRE10.
HP Envy Desktop 795-0040xt / Win 10 Home/ Intel Core i7-8700 / 32GB memory / NVidia GeForce GTS 1060 3G
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Briantho » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:13 am

ryan_khoo wrote:...
Any idea why Apple release an "unfinished" software ? ...

I really don't know. It's a bit like Microsoft's gift to Apple when they released Vista, now Apple is making a gift to Adobe and maybe to Avid as well. :-)
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:53 pm

From what I have heard...
Final Cut was much in the same shape as Premiere (Pro and Elements), it had a very old foundation.
To make some of the necessary changes Apple needed to completely re-write the application from scratch, that is a huge undertaking. In the process they ended up with a mess. I'm sure they are in the process of fixing everything but it is going to take some time and while that is happening people are looking for alternatives.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:05 pm

Briantho wrote:
I really don't know. It's a bit like Microsoft's gift to Apple when they released Vista, now Apple is making a gift to Adobe and maybe to Avid as well. :-)

:mlol: :mlol: :mlol:
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:08 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:From what I have heard...
Final Cut was much in the same shape as Premiere (Pro and Elements), it had a very old foundation.
To make some of the necessary changes Apple needed to completely re-write the application from scratch, that is a huge undertaking. In the process they ended up with a mess. I'm sure they are in the process of fixing everything but it is going to take some time and while that is happening people are looking for alternatives.

Yeah, I supposed they mess up big time. Could it also be that their main focus was distracted a bit by their success of iPhones & iPads ? Perhaps this market generate more SSSS more them ?
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Jordanmphoto » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:08 pm

ryan_khoo wrote:Could it also be that their main focus was distracted a bit by their success of iPhones & iPads ? Perhaps this market generate more SSSS more them ?

Well, if I were them I'd be more interested in the iPhones & IPads. The difference in user base is probably a gazillion people. Still, they're a big company, so you'd think they could cover both bases . . .
Desktop w/ Intel Core i3 550 @ 3.20 ghz
8 GB RAM, 64 bit Win 7 OS, 1 TB hard drive
NVDIA graphics card GeForce GT 220
2 back drives 1TB each
Blue Ray Burner
Jordanmphoto

Postby Jordanmphoto » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:11 pm

Peru wrote:Only some of the advantages of Pro:

-multiple sequences (timelines) and nesting sequences.
-ability to copy or import between projects
-better audio controls
-time remapping (the ability to smoothly slow down, speed up, freeze, or reverse a clip using keyframes)
-ability to save custom workspaces
-CUDA and the Mercury Engine (the ability, with proper hardware, to rarely need to render for smooth playback)

One disadvantage is that it takes a more powerful computer to run Pro properly than it does to run Elements.

I saw someone doing a demo of Pro and the Stabilization Effect was far better than in PE. Apparently the computer does some kind of interpolation of the movement and it looks darn good.
2 back drives 1TB each
Blue Ray Burner
Jordanmphoto

Postby Briantho » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:44 pm

Jordanmphoto wrote:...
I saw someone doing a demo of Pro and the Stabilization Effect was far better than in PE. Apparently the computer does some kind of interpolation of the movement and it looks darn good.

Are you sure that was PPro? I've a feeling it could have been After Effects which as you may well know is a separate product but like Encore etc works very closely with PPro.
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:11 pm

I suspect Brian is correct. The new warp stabilizer in CS5.5 After Effects is very good. And, if you have Production Premium CS5.5, which contains Premiere Pro and After Effects, you can very easily stabilize a clip from within Premiere Pro using dynamic link.

See:http://tv.adobe.com/watch/cs-55-production-premium-feature-tour-/stabilize-shaky-footage-with-the-warp-stabilizer-in-after-effects-cs55/
Bob

Postby Jordanmphoto » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:38 pm

Peru wrote:One disadvantage is that it takes a more powerful computer to run Pro properly than it does to run Elements.

I'm hoping you have some more info on this. I found a good price on CS5.5, but since I remembered what you said about this, I went to look up their system requirements. I have a pretty fast, new computer which has most of their requirements like hard disk space, RAM, Win7 64bit, but this is what concerns me:

"7200 RPM hard drive for editing compressed video formats; RAID 0 for uncompressed"
"1280x900 display with OpenGL 2.0-compatible graphics card"
"Adobe-certified GPU card for GPU—accelerated performance; visit http://www.adobe.com/go/premiere_systemreqs for the latest list of supported cards"
"Adobe-certified card for capture and export to tape for SD/HD workflows"

My Seagate 1TB hard drive is only 5900rpm. I don't know what "RAID 0 for uncompressed" is and there's no listing for this on my bill of parts or on the hard drive's box.

I have the box to my NVDIA GeForce GT220 1 GB and it does not mention OpenGL 2.0 (Maybe I'm a dope because this is something that can be assumed).

This graphics card is not one of the ones listed as certified, although it is a fast, gaming card which I bought just this year. BTW, I'm not interested in capture or export to tape at this time.

Does anyone think I might have a problem with any of this?
2 back drives 1TB each
Blue Ray Burner
Jordanmphoto

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:25 pm

Hi Jordan,
I didn't even think that they made internal drives that weren't 7200rpm, guess I was wrong.
It may make a difference for editing and a 7200rpm drive is definitely recommended if not required.
The requirement is the same for Premiere Elements however so if you do not have problems editing with that drive in Elements then Pro should not be any worse.

Your graphics card should be just fine, better than most actually.
Tech specs show that it has Open GL 3.1 support so that is much better than 2.0

Product Features
PCI Express 2.0
GeForce GT 220 with 625 MHz core clock
1024 MB of DDR3 memory
1580 MHz memory clock and 1360 MHz shader clock
Windows XP, Windows Vista and Open GL 3.1 Support

RAID is not required and definitely not necessary.

You only need a certified graphics card to use the enhanced GPU Accelerated Performance.
It is nice to have as it helps speed up rendering and other functions but is not necessary.

You shouldn't have any issues running Premiere Pro other than the speed of your hard drive, and that is the only questionable thing. But if you can edit in Premiere Elements with that drive without any problems then you will be fine in Pro as well. :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to PRE Version 10