They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

movie studio 13 platinum

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

movie studio 13 platinum

Postby AVITRY » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:20 pm

I picked up a copy of this program to explore it and to get the updated vers. of DVDA.

One little thing I liked to do in PE was to hit the backslash key to automatically fit the entire timeline on screen in order to eliminate the possibility of an orphaned clip before I rendered it.

I know the mouse wheel will quickly compress the video timeline, but ... just to be safe, is there a key to completely show the entire video on the timeline in case I don't scroll down enough? A key selection like the backslash in PE?

Also, I'm assuming here ... there is a way to highlight an area of the timeline, I think it's called "loop area", am I correct that this will act like the "workarea" in PE and I can render this area as PE can render the "workarea" I'm always concerned that I'm invoking some other effect in the clip when I just haphazardly go and assume something without asking.

One other question comes to mind initially. In PE, hitting the enter key (I think I remember it as the enter key, anyway) does a timeline render to help with video preview. Other than reducing the quality of the playback window, is there a similar timeline render key to hit to help playback views? thanks ...

BTW, this program, while a bit different, seems pretty nice and it has the added benefit of carrying the menu markers over to DVDA. This may be the one I end up with after all.

**** Wow ... bought the program 4 days ago at Bestbuy, for $79 and just now saw it's on sale for $49!! That's the platinum vers. Until 12-7 I believe. just an FYI
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: movie studio 13 platinum

Postby Chris B » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:53 am

From the Help menu, choose Keyboard Shortcuts to view the shortcut keys that can help streamline your work with Movie Studio Platinum software. The available shortcut keys are arranged in tables according to function.

For the zoom - I think you want <Ctrl> and down arrow. That will zoom out to the selection or timeline.

For playback performance leaving it on Preview will be fine - Also let Vegas scale the clip with "auto" rather than leave it on full and scale to fit. If you have a particular file that is causing Vegas playback problems then you can create a video proxy as described here:
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/web ... _Files.htm

Rendering on "Best" is rarely worth it unless you have scaled the video no the timeline. Otherwise it will serious increase render times with no benefit.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby AVITRY » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:51 pm

Thank Chris ... After exploring the program, as well as DVDA 5, I decided to update my "build". So, I went to HELP, SONY ON THE WEB, LATEST UPDATES, and it takes me to the Magix website with no indication of a link to build updates.

Is there a direct link anyone knows of to obtain these build updates?

thanks!
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chris B » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:25 am

Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby vkmast » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:19 am

Yes, from the link given by Chris B you can download many of the previous versions of Sony Creative Software programs. The last Sony DVD Architect Studio 5 build is 5.0.186.exe there. Check the build you now have from under Help menu > About... (that's next to your Sony on the Web). Any higher build number must be a MAGIX released build, which only rebrands the sotware, and MAGIX obviously does not have "Sony on the Web" in their Help menu anyway. Note that the rebranded later builds (post- Sony MSP 13 b 955 like e.g. MAGIX VMSP 13 b 967) are not usually recommended if you have the latest Sony/SCS as they're basically just rebrands.

If you have not yet done so, you can sign in/register with MAGIX here
https://www.magix.com/us/support/my-service-center/
If you do not see a "My Products" section on the opening page, go to "Product Registration" and enter the serial number for one of your software there.
After that you should have "My Products" available including your registered software with the link to download the latest MAGIX version/build.
You'll now be able to register other SCS and MAGIX software on that page as well.
Only the versions that MAGIX has rebranded are available to download there.The Sony (SCS) versions are not available yet (or maybe never, they were promised though). For SCS versions, we need to use links such as the above or various links given by the actual users on online forum discussions. The latter type of link is mostly working only if we have registered and logged in to a http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com account when we try to use the link.

The transition of SCS software and other user databases after MAGIX acquired them has not gone as smoothly as we as users had hoped.
vkmast

Postby AVITRY » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:21 am

Thanks guys! I was able to navigate to a product page on the magix website where I entered my serial numbers for both msp and dvda, after which I was directed to respective downloads.

I did download these program files to a folder on my hard drive, but because no build numbers were indicated, I haven't installed them. It didn't seem right to me that an update didn't mention the update build number until after you install it.

If i understand correctly, I'm glad I didn't if they are merely rebrands. My current build numbers are, dvda 186, and msp 932.

Maybe I'm better off going by the old rule, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." :-D
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby vkmast » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:10 am

Good. You should update MSP 13 though to http://download.sonymediasoftware.com/c ... _64bit.exe.
It's the last Sony build 955 (64-bit) of the version and includes a couple of notable bug fixes.
vkmast

Postby AVITRY » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:38 pm

Really liking this program. Seems to have everything I need and use daily. DVCapture, dvd architect recognizing menu markers, ability to render to file.

Just wish the program allowed further zoom out of event clips so more open timeline space was available. Seems like such a natural thing to do so you could easily swap clip order, sort of like a sceneline. I know you can still do that, and its so minor a thing. So far everything else is nice. Ripple is a little weird till I get used to it.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chris B » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:29 pm

You might be looking for "simple edit mode" which may do what you want. When I came from Premier Elements it took me a while to get used to editing "on the timeline" rather than preparing the clips first - but now when I go back to use PE the edit process seems very stilted.

Failing that if you set the ripple edit mode to "All tracks markers and regions" then just drag a clip to the right and it'll make space for you to play around in. Lastly you can probably (works on pro - don't have studio to try) drag an event with the right mouse button then select "Shuffle Events". Probably easiest to play with it rather than try to explain...
Chris B

Postby vkmast » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:19 pm

The Simple Edit mode in MS Platinum 13 is just that, simple and too restricted in features.
Auto Ripple and its three options help, but be careful not to mess up things with it. See Options menu, Ripple.
MS Platinum does not have the specific Shuffle Tool that Pro has, but you can Shuffle Events like Chris B says. Read online Help item "Shuffling Events".
As Vegas does not have a storyboard mode and as said you cannot compress the project on the timeline the way you'd like, you need to get used to those options:)
vkmast

Postby AVITRY » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:54 am

Thanks all, I'll look into these things. So strange some of these nle programs choose to omit such a seemingly basic feature, while most others include as the norm.

I suppose users needs vary as much as the different editing programs. For me, the pluses outweigh the few shortcomings.

One of the small things that have always bothered me with various programs is the timeline track order, above and below opacity.

Interestingly Magix, ( I believe ) does this just the opposite. Wonder if future iterations of these programs will end up melding differences.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:02 pm

Joe,

Have you been able to get the timeline compressed like this? You get it by clicking the magnifying glass icon and then clicking somewhere on the timeline.

The magnifying glass icon is down in the corner where the plus and minus sign icons are located.
Even quicker way is to just toggle the accent key (the one with the tilde, the one to the left of the 1 key on the keyboard, above the Tab key, below the Escape key).

compressed timeline.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby AVITRY » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:06 pm

Yes, thanks Robert, that's exactly how I was able to get this type view of the timeline. Unfortunately this is also the view with the multiple clips that had me discover (by accident) over stretching the end of a clip results in crazy duplication of that clip. Whew ... what a way to design a program.

I have been trying to find the preference setting that makes the overstretched clip a still of the last frame, but I'm not seeing it yet.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:14 pm

To turn off Looping by default, go to the "Editing" tab in Preferences. The first option will be for Looping.

If you turn looping off, when you extend video past the end, the last frame will be frozen.

You can also turn Looping on and off on individual events by right-clicking the event, and from popup menu select Switches > Looping (a toggle).
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Vegas