They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How generate a file having same width/height as original?

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

How generate a file having same width/height as original?

Postby cgwaters » Fri May 20, 2016 10:00 pm

I used Movie Studio Platinum 13 to remove some of the content from an MP4 file. When I attempt to generate an updated file for use on my PC, I can't select a width/height (and, less importantly, file size) that comes anywhere close to that of the original file.

According to Windows, my original MP4 file's width/height is 528x288, is 23 frames per second, and is 702MB. Within Movie Studio, the preview window lists my project as 528x288(x32) and the display as 519x283(x32). (Not sure what the 32 indicates.)

When I press the Make Movie button and select 'Save to Hard Drive', the following options are displayed:
    WMV (320x240; 443.12MB)
    MPEG-2 (720x480; 4.62GB)
    MP4 (1920x1080; 9.38GB)
    AVCHD (1920x1080; 12.46GB)
The Advanced Options button doesn't seem to contain anything applicable.

How can I generate a file that has the same width and height as the original? Or do I have a misunderstanding about how the process works?
cgwaters

Re: How generate a file having same width/height as original

Postby vkmast » Sat May 21, 2016 7:08 am

cgwaters wrote:I used Movie Studio Platinum 13 to remove some of the content from an MP4 file. When I attempt to generate an updated file for use on my PC, I can't select a width/height---
The Advanced Options button doesn't seem to contain anything applicable.---
How can I generate a file that has the same width and height as the original?

Note that e.g. the frame size and frame rate can be changed in many preset templates by going to "Customize template".
Try customizing the frame size in one of the MP4 > AVC > Internet templates. Select (Custom frame size) and enter the size you want.

cgwaters wrote:According to Windows, my original MP4 file's width/height is 528x288, is 23 frames per second, and is 702MB. Within Movie Studio, the preview window lists my project as 528x288(x32) and the display as 519x283(x32). (Not sure what the 32 indicates.)

Click the "? What's This" button and and the click on the Preview window to see "Using the Preview window" Help item. Read the part about "Adjusting the Preview quality", from which a partial screenshot below.
Adjust Preview quality
The "x32", see below
Status Bar
vkmast

Postby cgwaters » Sun May 22, 2016 8:19 pm

Thanks. I modified the MainConcept AVC/AAC > "Internet 480p widescreen" template, simply enabling "Allow source to adjust frame size". This resulted in a (correct) 528x288 MP4 file, with a file size 60% larger than the original. One reason: the data rate (753kbps vs 1328kbps). Not being satisfied with that :) , I modified the template again, this time manually setting the frame size to 528x288; this inexplicably resulted in a 854x480 MP4 file, file size 47% larger than the original, having a data rate of 1212kbps. Note that the frame rate is 23 per second, despite the x32 in the preview window.

I'm sure there's a logical reason for these results--I just don't understand it.
cgwaters

Postby vkmast » Mon May 23, 2016 3:48 am

File size = bitrate (kilobits per second) x duration.
In general, a higher bitrate will accommodate higher image quality in the video output.

I tested a couple of .mp4s (other than 528x288) rendering with the MC AVC Internet 480p widescreen template.
Customized the template as follows:
"Frame size" (Custom frame size) W 528, H 288. "Allow source to adjust frame size" not checked.
MediaInfo and VLC show rendered files as 528x288.

And you may have misinterpreted the "Status Bar" screenshot.
Preview displays the frame size (528x288), color bit depth [(x)32], and frame rate that will be used for previewing.
See the "Adjust PQ" screenshot for more info on e.g. Display.The "Adjusting the preview quality and resolution" Help item gives further essential info about the PQ button settings.
vkmast

Postby cgwaters » Sun May 29, 2016 3:54 pm

In the "Adjust PQ" screenshot, what's the significance of the "Best (Auto)" selection? FWIW, mine was set to "Preview (Auto)". From the tooltip, changing the selection has no impact on the final rendered video.
In general, a higher bitrate will accommodate higher image quality in the video output.

So the higher bitrate is what contributed to the rendered file being 60% larger than the original. My original is 753kbps. Is there somewhere I can select the bitrate for the rendered file?
cgwaters

Postby vkmast » Sun May 29, 2016 4:46 pm

cgwaters wrote:In the "Adjust PQ" screenshot, what's the significance of the "Best (Auto)" selection? FWIW, mine was set to "Preview (Auto)". From the tooltip, changing the selection has no impact on the final rendered video.

So the higher bitrate is what contributed to the rendered file being 60% larger than the original. My original is 753kbps. Is there somewhere I can select the bitrate for the rendered file?

You can customize the bitrate in the very same Custom Settings window where you modify "Allow source" etc.

As for "Adjust PQ", you should really "Search" online Help for "Using the preview window" and read the sub-item "Adjust the preview quality and resolution", which I have suggested.

A quote from the beginning there:
Click the Preview Quality button and choose a setting from the menu to change the quality and resolution for rendering your video preview.
This setting is used for previewing only and has no effect on the final rendered video. Decreasing the preview resolution can allow the Movie Studio Platinum Video Preview window to display a higher frame rate, especially for complex projects that contain overlays, transitions, and effects.

The Auto setting will adjust the frame size to fit the Video Preview window size. The Full setting processes frames at the project frame size. The Half setting processes frames at half the project frame size. The Quarter setting processes frames at one-quarter of the project's frame size. For example, if you have an NTSC (720x480) project, Half creates a 360x240 preview; Quarter creates a 180x120 preview.

Choosing a Quarter or Half setting can improve playback performance, especially when previewing high-definition source material.

Read also the main item "Using the preview window".
If you want to emphasize frame rate during preview, right-click the Video Preview window and select Adjust Size and Quality for Optimal Playback. When the command is not selected, video quality is emphasized, and the frame rate will be reduced if necessary.
vkmast

Return to Vegas