They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Trim vs Time stretch events -- Novice help needed

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Trim vs Time stretch events -- Novice help needed

Postby downeym » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:11 am

Hi everyone,

I just bought Steve's book and am brand new to this community. I am brand new at video editing and new to Movie Studio 13. Please bear with me.

When I split an event and want to stretch it, I have found that I don't want to slow it down (or speed it up) because of animations contained therein won't be at the proper speed. What I want to do is change an event but not change the very endpoint frames, if you take my meaning.

I am surprised to learn that when I trim (pull the end) of the event, there is more footage beyond the end of my "split" which shows up, as the event is stretched. I assumed that when I split an event it would cut off the footage beyond the split, but Movie studio doesn't work that way (or is there a setting to do this?) So what i have been doing is going to the very end of the event, and using the "Saving snapshot to file" to create a still picture. Then I seem to be able to stretch that individual still, to my heart's content.

Am I on the right track or is there a more elegant/faster method?

This is probably editing 101 to many of you so please be gentle! :)
downeym
New User
New User

Re: Trim vs Time stretch events -- Novice help needed

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:34 am

If you split an event, you can move the two segments apart by making sure you've only got one clip select and drag it to the right. However, as you may have seen in the book, how events move, together or individually, is affected by the Auto Ripple settings. (See page 100 of the book.)

Beyond that, I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say you "want to change an event but not change the very endpoint frames." What change are you trying to make?

When you extend an event's length, you can pretty much either slow the playback speed of the event (by holding down the Alt key as you stretch it) or by adding footage to the end. I don't know any other way to take footage and make it play longer on your timeline.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby downeym » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:40 pm

Steve,
First of all, THANK YOU for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.
I want to extend an event that has animation associated with it, but not slow it down. So I want to move to the end of the event, after animation is complete and extend that "frozen" frame in time. So I can view the last frame for a longer time.
Time stretching the event does slow down all the preceding animation, not what I want.
So I have been moving to the end of the clip and "saving snapshot to file", which gives me a still picture I can easily cope with.
I assume from your comment, there is no more elegant/faster way to do this.
downeym
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:51 pm

Hello downeym, welcome to muvipix!

What you are trying to do is called a freeze frame. In general, the way to achieve it is exactly what you are doing with Save Snapshot to file. As a special case, if the end point of the source media clip is the same as the end point of the timeline event you can right-click on the timeline event, go to "Switches", and uncheck the "Loop" option. Now when you drag the edge of the clip to extend the event to the right, it will repeat the final frame similar to how a still image can be extended. But that only works for that specific special case. In all other cases, you need to create the snapshot.
Bob

Postby downeym » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:01 pm

I understand.
Thank you Bob, thank you Steve.
I do feel welcome and appreciate the information and terminology you have taught me.
have a great weekend.
downeym
New User
New User

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:45 pm

Hello,

What Bob said. In addition -- with Movie Studio 13 Platinum, anyway -- if you split a clip at the point where you want a still frame, you can right-click on the clip on the timeline and select "Create Subclip" from the popup menu. That will make the frame at the split point the new "physical" end of the clip, virtually. It's never really deleted. If you don't create a subclip, then extending the clip will just reveal the original frames that were chopped off. When you have a subclip and Loop is turned off, the new end frame will be frozen when you extend the clip to the right. You'll immediately see a little notch in the video clip on the timeline where the "freeze frame" begins just as you start to drag to the right. The subclip becomes part of the project and you'll see a thumbnail of it in the Project Media bins.

If you want to remove the freeze frame, you can right click on the video clip on the timeline and select "Take" from the popup menu. Then select the name of the original video clip. You can toggle between the two takes.

Rob JJ
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby downeym » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:59 am

I will definitely have to try that.
Thank you very much RJ.
I appreciate that you all took the time to assist me.
downeym
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:06 pm

That's the Muvipix way :)

:::muvipix:::
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Vegas