They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Rendering in Movie Studio Platinum 12

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Rendering in Movie Studio Platinum 12

Postby Chrismar » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:23 am

Hi Steve,

After happily using MSP10 for several years, I upgraded to MSP12 when I recently upgraded to Windows 10. My computer is a 64bit. I also have your guide to MSP12 which has been very helpful. However, I have encountered something rather odd when rendering a video clip, regardless of the length. After watching the rendered video in Windows Media Player and then returning to the timeline to make necessary adjustments, the video won't play back and I get an error message "An error occurred while starting playback. The request is not enabled for this device". (Screen shot attached) When I exit Movie Studio and log back in I can then play back the video on the timeline and carry on editing - until the next render! Any idea what causes this please?

In your book you recommend using the maximum amount of Dynamic RAM available - as shown in the video tab of the Preference settings. After having 1024 MB available in MSP10, I find I now have 7159 MB RAM available in MSP12. That's a huge jump - should I still adjust to that in the Preference setting?

Many thanks
Christine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chrismar
New User
New User

Re: Rendering in Movie Studio Platinum 12

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:46 am

You probably won't get a big benefit in setting your Dynamic Ram to use the full 7 gigs, Christine. But it would certainly be worth setting it to 4 gig (4000 mb). I'm not sure what the rest of your computer specs are, but a little extra video RAM never hurt anybody.

As for your weird playback issue -- my first thought would be that it has something to do with Windows Media Player -- which I've never encountered because I NEVER USE WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER. Microsoft is doing more and more things right, but it seems like they still can't build a decent media player or web browser.

My go to media player is the great VLC Media Player. And it's my default player for every video file as well as for DVDs. Try switching to it and see if that resolves your issue.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chrismar » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:00 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for your response - I have set the Dynamic RAM to 4,000 as suggested.

Whether I play back the rendered video in WMP or VLC Media Player (which I use frequently too) makes no difference. In fact if I render a clip and stay on the timeline (without checking the rendered clip in either media player) and continue working, I still get the error message and have to exit MSP12 and log back on. As you say, quite weird and nothing I've ever experienced before. Any other suggestions?

Christine
Chrismar
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:03 am

Sorry no. I've never seen or heard of anything like that.

I'm sure you've already uninstalled and reinstalled Movie Studio.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Dean » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi Chrismar,

Have your tried resetting MSP12? Left click MSP12 desktop icon to highlight it. While holding down Ctrl+Shift keys, double left click MSP12 icon. This will bring up a window to reset the program and allow you to delete the cache. Check to delete cache and click on OK. This will set your MSP12 to factory defaults and delete any wierd cache items.

If that doesn't work, have you ever downloaded and installed version 13 Platinum. If not it maight be worth a try and see if your problems remain.

Best Regards.....George
George Dean
New User
New User

Postby Chrismar » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:35 pm

George - I've only just seen your post and suggestions. I will give the re-set a try and post back here.

Thank you so much for your input.

Christine
Chrismar
New User
New User

Postby Chrismar » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:20 am

EUREKA, I have found it!! The error message is related to the Audio Device that is selected in the Preferences.

Thank you Steve & George for your suggestions and recommendations which led me to a process of elimination and the culprit was a piece of software called Total Recorder. I uninstalled it, rebooted and voila! everything works as it should. (I should add that I'm surprised at having to remove TR as it has worked perfectly well on the SMS vs10 and Windows 7 platform I had before upgrading.)

I do have one more question please. In the course of solving the above problem I noticed that in the Preferences > Audio Device, among the options for playback is the NVIDIA yet in my Preview Device I only have: Windows Graphics Card (which is selected), Windows Secondary Display and OHCI Compliant 1EEE - surely the NVIDIA graphics card should display there too??

Once again, thanks for the input - much appreciated!

Christine
Chrismar
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:29 am

Awesome troubleshooting, Christine! Glad you're up and running again!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Dean » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:19 pm

Chrismar wrote:I do have one more question please. In the course of solving the above problem I noticed that in the Preferences > Audio Device, among the options for playback is the NVIDIA yet in my Preview Device I only have: Windows Graphics Card (which is selected), Windows Secondary Display and OHCI Compliant 1EEE - surely the NVIDIA graphics card should display there too??

Hi Christine,

Great fix you found for your audio issue.

I don't think I can help for your addition question. I have SMS12P and SMS13P, and they both work similar to what you are seeing. I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 graphic card (Windows 7). My version 12P displays the same options as yours "Windows Graphics Card, Windows Secondary Display and OHCI Compliant 1EEE". However my 13P only has "Windows Graphics Card, and OHCI Compliant 1EEE". Not sure why.

In the Preferences > Video > GPU Acceleration of video processing:, I have options of "OFF" and "NVIDIA Corporation (GeForce GTX 460)". I have "NVIDIA Corporation (GeForce GTX 460)" selected. If your NVIDIA card is supported it will appear in the list along with "OFF". If you select it here, you should get better processing of certain FX, Transitions, and Media Generated, that you may use on your timeline. Certain Render As templates will also offer improved performance if you have a supported card, I'm sure you know that.

Neither my 12P or 13P show my Nvidia card listed in Audio Devices. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Best Regards....George
George Dean
New User
New User

Postby Chrismar » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:33 pm

George, I am so glad you replied to me - you have been more helpful than you realize!

Prior to uninstalling Total Recorder, in the Preferences > Video > GPU Acceleration of video processing, there were no options and it was set to OFF. Your post prompted me to go back and check the Video tab and I found that the NVIDIA option now displays and I have applied it. I tested it on a project that has a lot of pan & crop editing and other effects, which lugged a bit on playback and now with the NVIDIA option selected it plays back smoothly. So I am very happy indeed and thank you again for mentioning this.

Regarding my question on the Preferences > Preview Device options I have since found out that the Windows Graphic card refers to the video card installed in the computer, which (in our case) is the NVIDIA card. The Secondary Display is for a second monitor (which I have) and the OHCI Compliant 1EEE is for a firewire connected preview device. (Does anyone still use firewire???!!)

Regards
Christine
Chrismar
New User
New User

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:55 am

Chrismar wrote:(Does anyone still use firewire???!!)

Yup. I do.

But Bob's recent post in the GoPro forum where he provided a link to GoPro comparison table might just get me to think about replacing my venerable Sony HVR-A1 with something a bit more modern and throwing in a GoPro as well. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chrismar » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:54 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:
But Bob's recent post in the GoPro forum where he provided a link to GoPro comparison table might just get me to think about replacing my venerable Sony HVR-A1 with something a bit more modern and throwing in a GoPro as well. :-D

Sounds like a plan John! :)
Chrismar
New User
New User

Postby George Dean » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:57 am

Chrismar wrote:George, I am so glad you replied to me - you have been more helpful than you realize!

Prior to uninstalling Total Recorder, in the Preferences > Video > GPU Acceleration of video processing, there were no options and it was set to OFF. Your post prompted me to go back and check the Video tab and I found that the NVIDIA option now displays and I have applied it. I tested it on a project that has a lot of pan & crop editing and other effects, which lugged a bit on playback and now with the NVIDIA option selected it plays back smoothly. So I am very happy indeed and thank you again for mentioning this.

Regarding my question on the Preferences > Preview Device options I have since found out that the Windows Graphic card refers to the video card installed in the computer, which (in our case) is the NVIDIA card. The Secondary Display is for a second monitor (which I have) and the OHCI Compliant 1EEE is for a firewire connected preview device. (Does anyone still use firewire???!!)

Regards
Christine

Happy I could be of some help Christine.

As for the Firewire, I have a Firewire port on my desktop box, as I have an older HDV camera which uses it to upload from miniDV tape. I'm not using two monitors. Also I have added a HD-SSD recorder to the old HDV camera and don't use the Firewire upload with the exception, on occasion I run tape as a backup. I've never had a monitor with a Firewire connection!

Best Regards......George
George Dean
New User
New User

Return to Vegas