They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Vegas Pro 13 custom thumbnails

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Vegas Pro 13 custom thumbnails

Postby billee » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:31 pm

Hi everyone!
Steve, great tutorials on Lynda! But my question is this: How do I take out an object (image) from a video clip in my timeline, then take that object and place another object (image) from that same video clip and and pair those two images together in one frame and place a new background with new text also on that same frame?

I want to do this to create a custom thumbnail for a video upload. Any help would be gold!!! Thx!!
billee
New User
New User

Re: Vegas Pro 13 custom thumbnails

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:32 pm

Hi, billee. Thanks for checking out my course on lynda.com!

Can you be a bit more clear on what you're trying to do? When you say you want to take an "object from a video clip", do you mean you want to take a still image of the video clip or do you mean you want to cut out and use one object from that video clip?

It sounds like you may simply be talking about a split screen effect -- having two videos side-by-side in the same video frame with a background behind them. If that's the case, it's pretty simple. Just tell me if you're working in standard definition or 1920x1080 high-def with video from a high-def camcorder.

If you're cutting objects from a video and pairing them up with object cut from another video, that's a bit more complicated, depending on what the objects are and how elaborately you're trying to lay the whole thing out.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby billee » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Ok Steve. Yes I want to take a still image of the video clip but only use say for example one image from that still frame and duplicate this exact process with another still frame image from the same video clip and put those two images together in one still frame and place a different background on the entire newly created still frame. I do not need it to be animated, just a still frame to use as a thumbnail that way when users search for a specific video, my thumbnail can stand out by using these methods.

Also Steve, not sure if I need to create another topic but since you raised this discussion about the split screen I'm also interested in that. The def will be standard for this project. And is it also possible to make those two side-by-side videos clickable where it can take users to another site?
billee
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:59 pm

I'm still not clear, billee. What do you mean by "one image from a still"?

Are you, for instance, trying to cut a person out of one picture and a person out of another and then use them together over a whole other background?

And is this a slide for a video or just for a photo? If it's a photo, do you have any photo editing software, like Photoshop Elements?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby billee » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:27 pm

YES!! Trying to cut a person out of one picture and a person out of another and then use them together over a whole other background. (but what if the pictures I want happen to be in my video timeline?)
This will be a photo thumbnail so I can upload it to represent my video. All I have is photoshop extended.
billee
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:36 pm

You'll need to do your work in Photoshop then. You can't do it in Vegas/Movie Studio.

If you have Photoshop Extended, you can certainly do it -- but if you've not had experience in selecting, cutting and pasting, it's going to be difficult to explain how.

Chapter 9 in Deke's excellent Photoshop course at lynda.com would be a place to start. But it's a somewhat complicated process.
http://www.lynda.com/Photoshop-tutorial ... cttypeid:2

Muvipix subscribers can also see how to select, cut and paste in our Photo Faking tutorials.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby billee » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:59 am

GREAT!! thanks Steve!
billee
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:13 pm

Once you get the basics, let us know if you have any questions!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Vegas