They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Bring video and audio tracks into sync?

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Bring video and audio tracks into sync?

Postby cgwaters » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:45 pm

I have an MP4 file in which the audio is about five seconds 'in front of' the video. Can Movie Studio Platinum 13 be used to manually bring the video and audio into sync?

No matter what key/mouse/menu combination I try, I can't seem to isolate the audio track so as to move it to the right -- to the point where it should actually start.
cgwaters

Re: Bring video and audio tracks into sync?

Postby sidd finch » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:25 pm

Does the program have a setting to unlink audio from video? I use Premiere so not sure what your program has. But if you can unlink the audio from video you can then move the audio track manually to sync.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby cgwaters » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:21 pm

Yes, an 'unlink' option is what I'm looking for.
cgwaters

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:39 pm

Right-click on the event and select the Group/Clear option. You'll then be able to select and move the audio separate from the video clip.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby cgwaters » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:43 pm

When I right-click on either the video track or the audio track, within the timeline, I don't see a Group/Clear option in the context menu/submenus.
cgwaters

Postby vkmast » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:38 am

The option Steve mentions is there, in Group (click the triangle). R-click on the event, not the empty part.

You could also try to "Synchronize by moving" (R-click on the video event and scroll down to find the option).
vkmast

Postby cgwaters » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:30 pm

I must be misunderstanding what you and Steve are describing. When I right-click on either the video or audio track within the timeline, Group is not present within the context menu:

ScreenCapture.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cgwaters

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:22 am

It looks like you're in Simple mode, cg. This option is only available in Advanced mode.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby cgwaters » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:20 pm

Ah, that's it, thanks! I entered Advanced mode earlier, but didn't know what to look for; then I changed back to Simple mode prior to my initial post here.

Are there any techniques for matching up the audio with the video? Or is it simply trial and error (within the preview, of course)?
cgwaters

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:36 pm

We have a couple camera sync tutorials for Premiere Elements
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0

I know this is about Vegas but there can't be too much difference.

It is best if you have something visual as well as a prominent audio mark, like a clap. Find a spot on the timeline where you can not only hear a specific sound in all clips but also see something. Set the tracks to an opacity level that will allow you to visually see them in the monitor as well as hear them. Getting them in perfect sync takes a little time and needs to be done both visually as well as audibly.

In Premiere Pro you can view multiple tracks in separate monitors which makes syncing up the clips easier, maybe Vegas has something similar.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Kent Frost » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:46 pm

Real easy trick to unlinking audio from video. Click the track you want to separate the video/audio and hit the "U" key (ungroup), then you'll be able to drag the audio around freely apart from the video track. To regroup then, select what you want to group together and hit the "G" key (group).

As far as syncing up the audio, I generally like to use speech if a clap or something sudden like that isn't also caught visually to match up. It's a bit of trial and error, but it really doesn't take long once you get the group/ungroup feature mastered.
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Return to Vegas