They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How to Auto Ripple Video only without Moving Audio

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

How to Auto Ripple Video only without Moving Audio

Postby jonnyD » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:09 pm

I want to insert several stills - to create several freeze frames - into my video timeline. Can I use Auto Ripple somehow to slide video over (so I can drop in the still frame) without also sliding the audio soundtrack beneath it? I would rather do this as compared to grouping the video elements to move as one unit each time I want to drop in a still frame which then necessitates un-grouping for other possible manipulations I may have to make later during editing. All the grouping and un-grouping tends to get a bit messy and tiresome when there are many short video clips that need to be moved.
Computer: 3.2 GHz i5 CPU; 8GB RAM; ASUS GTX660 graphics card; Win 7 Pro 64-bit; 120GB SSD boot drive plus 1.5TB internal HDD
Software: Sony Movie Studio Platinum suite 13.0; Photoshop CS5
jonnyD

Re: How to Auto Ripple Video only without Moving Audio

Postby sidd finch » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:26 pm

If I am understanding your question correctly, you do not want to un-link the audio from the video?

If that is the case you might try putting the still image on a new video track above your current video track.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:31 pm

Also, the Auto Ripple tool in Movie Studio/Vegas has a number of settings.

You can set it so that no tracks ripple as you add or remove media, so that ALL tracks ripple as you add or remove media or you can set it so that ONLY THE TRACK you're adding or removing media to or from ripples.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jonnyD » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:15 pm

In the screenshot below you see that I have moved the highlighted video clip to the right. Everything to the right of the highlighted clip also ripples to the right - including the audio. [To answer Sidd's question, no the video and audio are independent; it does not matter if they are linked or not.]
Steve Grisetti wrote:or you can set it so that ONLY THE TRACK you're adding or removing media to or from ripples.

I would like to ripple only the video and have the audio stay put as Steve makes mention of in the above quote. Which setting makes that happen?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Computer: 3.2 GHz i5 CPU; 8GB RAM; ASUS GTX660 graphics card; Win 7 Pro 64-bit; 120GB SSD boot drive plus 1.5TB internal HDD
jonnyD

Postby vkmast » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:30 pm

If I understand you correctly, I guess you should Select events to end and Switches > Lock on the audio track, with Auto Ripple > All tracks (Options > Ripple in MSP 13). But do you not want the audio synchronized?
vkmast

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:01 pm

The option to turn Auto Ripple off or on is below the timeline, as you've illustrated, jonny.

But to set whether the ripple affects only one track or all tracks, click the Option menu at the top of the interface and go to the Ripple sub-menu.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jonnyD » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:48 am

By Jove, that's it! Checking "Affected Tracks" instead of "All Tracks, Markers and Regions" did the trick!! :exc:
Thanks, Steve. :TU:
jonnyD

Return to Vegas