They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Cleaning up audio

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Cleaning up audio

Postby ssandheinrich » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:44 am

This question isn't specifically for video editing but I am sure this is the best place to ask this. I have some audio cassette tapes that I would like to digitize using Vegas. These tapes are a conversation between two people and there is a lot of background noise and the recording is somewhat faint. Is there a tutorial on how to clean this up and make it more understandable?
ssandheinrich
New User
New User

Re: Cleaning up audio

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:25 am

There are lots of tutorials about using Audacity (free) ;-

http://opensource.com/life/14/10/how-cl ... g-audacity
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:48 am

I have digitalized some audio with a simple cable connected to the input minijack door of the motherboard:

I too recommend Audacity, filters are very fine.
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:31 am

It's actually very difficult to clean up this kind of audio, ssandheinrich. That's why even Hollywood moviemakers have to sometimes call the actors back in to re-record dialog for scene shot around too much background noise.

There's really just not substitute for a good clip-on or handheld microphone that's very near the mouths of the people you're recording.

But there's really no way to isolate one sound in a noisy scene and make it louder without making every other sound in the scene louder also.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby MrGrunthunter » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:28 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:It's actually very difficult to clean up this kind of audio, ssandheinrich. That's why even Hollywood moviemakers have to sometimes call the actors back in to re-record dialog for scene shot around too much background noise.

There's really just not substitute for a good clip-on or handheld microphone that's very near the mouths of the people you're recording.

But there's really no way to isolate one sound in a noisy scene and make it louder without making every other sound in the scene louder also.

Steve,
Do you know of a 'decent' boom type microphone that can be worn while recording and narrating videos 'real time' so I can away from all the camera handling noise I'm experiencing with my little GoPro camera? I would like to find something under the $100 mark. I bought a ZOOM H1 that I was planning on narrating to using a lapel mic but I think it would be more convenient to record the audio directly to the camera memory. I haven't tried using the H1 in the field yet and have been a little concerned with having to make sure I definitely have the camera and H1 powered on at the same time (typical type of glitches that can pop up) or having a battery crap out on one of them and not knowing it :-)
Dell PC WINDOWS 10 PRO, 64-bit, Ver:1607, OS BLD: 14393.1066
INTEL Core: i7-4790, CPU @3.60 GHz, Instld RAM:16.0 GB
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3
Shared Sys Mem: 8159 MB, DirectX Runtime Ver:12.0
MrGrunthunter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:48 pm

Go Pros aren't really noted for their audio. And do they even have a microphone input so that you can plug a remote microphone into them?

It might be smarter to record your audio with a separate device and then combine it with the Go Pro video in a video editor. That's not that hard, if you use a clapper or have someone clap so that you can synch up the audio and the video.

Here's one of the best recording devices available for under $100. (Even cheaper if you buy a used one.)
http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Handy-Portab ... o+recorder
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby MrGrunthunter » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:09 pm

Thanks Steve,

Actually I just bought one of those last month and will be giving it a try soon. If you're familiar with them, do you know if there is a way to turn off the internal speaker? I had some bad audio on my last video and needed to narrate it afterwards. I connected up a set of 'ear buds' and plugged the H1 into my computer so I could play back the video and narrate an new audio track at the same time. What I discovered happening was that the old audio would play back out of the H1's little speaker while I was trying to us it. I ended up having to unplug it from the computer and then record my 'new' audio into the H1's memory card and then import it into Sony Movie Studio. It worked out but I just had to go through some additional steps to complete my project.
Dell PC WINDOWS 10 PRO, 64-bit, Ver:1607, OS BLD: 14393.1066
INTEL Core: i7-4790, CPU @3.60 GHz, Instld RAM:16.0 GB
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3
Shared Sys Mem: 8159 MB, DirectX Runtime Ver:12.0
MrGrunthunter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:37 am

Sorry, MrG. I've read about but never actually used the Zoom audio recorders.

But I expect a few Muvipixers have. Let's see if they post their thoughts -- although it might be worth starting a new thread with Zoom in the title in our Audio sub-forum so it will get its own attention.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:51 am

Steve is correct about cleaning up audio. It is very difficult to pull off. I have found success by taking a multilayered approach. Taking the audio and copying to multiple tracks including and original copy with no editing and then manipulating the tracks individually and outputting as one track. The finished product is better that original but as the old saying goes...... junk in = junk out.

Steve is also correct that the GoPro audio is terrible. Even with an external mic connected it is bad. I have connected everything from a Rode NT3 to a Rode Video mic to a Shure lavaliere and Sony lavaliere mic's. All of those are less than desired.

I have had success using the Blue Microphone "Mikey" with an old ipod classic.

If you are interested in using your smartphone there are a number of nice mic options for smartphones like the zoom IQ6 and the Tascam IM2

For me quality audio means using a dedicated audio recorder. There are an array of pricing options.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to Vegas