They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Creating scrolling text in SONY MOVIE STUDIO 13

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Creating scrolling text in SONY MOVIE STUDIO 13

Postby MrGrunthunter » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:10 pm

I am having a nightmare trying to create scrolling text in SMS 13. I know there are titling templates but I can't seem to get them to work correctly for me. I want to have my text start 'off screen' , enter from the right and completely exit on the left. Either it wants to scroll across multiple times , start in the middle or start mid-text etc etc. I've tried adjusting the duration to slow it down but then other weird things seem to crop up. I want to be able to insert a long sentence and have it scroll across one time and also be able to adjust the speed of the scrolling.

Has anyone run across a good tutorial of how to do this?

I have the latest version of Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 Suite.
Dell PC WINDOWS 10 PRO, 64-bit, Ver:1607, OS BLD: 14393.1066
INTEL Core: i7-4790, CPU @3.60 GHz, Instld RAM:16.0 GB
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3
Shared Sys Mem: 8159 MB, DirectX Runtime Ver:12.0
MrGrunthunter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Creating scrolling text in SONY MOVIE STUDIO 13

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:00 am

Hi, Mc. Welcome to Muvipix!

Have you you tried keyframing the animation rather than using a template? It's a little more challenging, but at least you have more control.

Just type your text into a basic, non-animated template (like Titles & Text/Default) then open the title event with the Crop tool and create the right to left animation. (Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any tutorials on this -- but I can put it on my to-do list for our next batch later this month.)

Meantime, you can try using the Credit Roll template with the Scroll Right preset, but set the Properties for each line to Enter from Right rather than the default Enter from Left.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby vkmast » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:23 am

MrGrunthunter wrote:...I want to have my text start 'off screen' , enter from the right and completely exit on the left...
I have the latest version of Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 Suite.

A couple of ways were also recently discussed in this thread viewtopic.php?f=93&t=13325.
Let's try to recap here the way that is the easiest one for me.
Create a selection area on the timeline (click and drag along the marker bar, time ruler or a blank area of the timeline to select a time range),
Right-click the track in that selection area, click Insert Generated Media, click (Legacy) Text, Add, OK. It will match the length of the selection area.
In the (Legacy) Text Edit window, adjust Font type, size etc. and enter all your text on a single line.
Click on the Placement tab.
Move the text to the right using either the hand in the text box (hold down the left mouse button) or by entering a value in the "X" box.
This creates a keyframe at the beginning.
Take note of the values in both the "X" and "Y" boxes.
Click Animate and add a keyframe to the end of the timeline.
Enter the values noted previously in the "X" and "Y" boxes but change the "X" value to a negative number.

If you want a text to roll from the bottom to the top, enter in all the text as desired.
In the Placement tab, drag the text first to the bottom. After creating the end keyframe, drag the text to the top.
Make note of the values in the "X" and "Y" boxes to prevent the text from floating.
vkmast

Postby MrGrunthunter » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:33 am

OK, Got It ! ! !
Many thanks for the help. Was GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Now I have another question I need to post regarding how to make continuously spinning/rotating text
Dell PC WINDOWS 10 PRO, 64-bit, Ver:1607, OS BLD: 14393.1066
INTEL Core: i7-4790, CPU @3.60 GHz, Instld RAM:16.0 GB
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3
Shared Sys Mem: 8159 MB, DirectX Runtime Ver:12.0
MrGrunthunter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:39 am

Make sure you're clear whether you want your text to rotate on the X, Y or Z axis. In other words, do you want spin 360 degrees from top to bottom and around or do you want it to spin back to front and around -- or something else.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Vegas