They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Sony Movie Studio 12 beats 13 (for a sort-of newbie?)

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Sony Movie Studio 12 beats 13 (for a sort-of newbie?)

Postby lingyai » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:37 pm

Hi all, I am new to the forum, and would like some advice.

Today I ordered, from Amazon UK, Sony Movie Studio 13 Suite and Steve Grisetti's guide to Sony Movie Studio 13.

Then this evening I was browsing another video-making site, and read one gentleman's opinion that in Movie Studio 13', “some features have been removed. Right now, the best version is Movie Studio 12 Platinum.”

Amazon being Amazon, I could easily cancel my order, and get version 12 (heavily discounted, in fact), and Steve's book on version 12, instead.

My question is, would you agree that 12 beats 13?

Now, while not a pro, I have some experience with video editors -- a sample can be found on youtube, if you search for "Exit Music (for a Film) nekliersak" (sorry, as a new member I can't post links yet) -- and so am not in great need of version 13's Simple mode.

I’d also note that other supposed advantages of version 13 don’t mean anything to me, as I’m on Windows 7 (64 bit) and so can’t use touchscreen features, and I don’t own or plan to get a 4K video camera.

The learning curve due to the GUI changes in 13 which some folks grumble about is also a non-issue, as either interface would be new to me.

I’d be grateful for any advice. Are important features missing from version 13? Is version 12 otherwise better?
lingyai
New User
New User

Re: Sony Movie Studio 12 beats 13 (for a sort-of newbie?)

Postby vkmast » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:35 pm

The opinions differ. Not counting the new revamped interface and the large buttons, one of the more criticized changes is that the ability to customize the toolbar was removed from v 13. Some of the tools are also a bit more difficult find in the new GUI. One example is the somewhat painful Configure button which "hides" options that were previously in the toolbar. There are a few other similar changes, which mean that you need more clicks to get what you want.

A definite improvement, which is welcomed by those with less powerful hardware, is Creation of Video Proxy Files in the Project Media window.
As you say, MSPlatinum 12 is now heavily discounted, so it might well be the bargain you're looking for and Steve's books are always a bargain. Your v 12 license would make you eligible to upgrade at special upgrade offer prices available from SCS from time to time, if you feel the need later. That way you might eventually get both 12 and 13 even more inexpensively than the new 13 at the moment.

You may find many more pointers on v 13 in the links below
viewtopic.php?f=93&t=12723
https://www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tut ... latinum-13
vkmast

Postby lingyai » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:59 am

Thanks very much for your answer, and for pointing me to that excellent review. Actually, that helped convince me to stay where I am with version 13 as the version I'll learn and use. As he wrote, " Once you drill down underneath the surface of the desktop re-design, you will still find all the advanced controls and settings that make Movie Studio Platinum a great video editing program.". I can live without the customisable toobar. Meanwhile version 13 offers two important advantages for me -- proxy editing, and the Colour Match Video effect, which should come in quite handy as I want to do a lot of compositing.

Having said that, version 12, at its current big discount, seems worth getting just for the inclusion of the Magic Bullet effects.

Thanks again!
lingyai
New User
New User

Postby vkmast » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:32 am

lingyai wrote:--- version 12, at its current big discount, seems worth getting just for the inclusion of the Magic Bullet effects.

Make sure you get the Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12 2-disc edition, if you want the Magic Bullet Quick Looks.
Some retailers seem to have been selling the MSPS 12 OEM slip sleeve edition, which did not have all the extras.

If you get Movie Studio Platinum 13 (or Suite 13, which is Movie Studio Platinum 13 with extras such as some Boris units and a new v. of the NBFX add-on) as well, check the SCS ugrade pricing vs. the current "new" prices.
If you get both Suites 12 and 13, do not install NewBlueFX 3DTitler&VFX for your MSP v 12. Instead, try and install only this version for your MSS13 http://www.newbluefx.com/downloads/Sony ... 140117.exe

Some of us have run into problems with NBFX, search the Vegas forum here.
MagicBullet Quick Looks work in 12 and 13 64-bit.
You can have several versions as they are separate installations. At the moment there seems to be a bug in MSP 13, which prevents the Vasst FasstApps extensions working in 13 build 931/932, so you may want to stay with 13 build 878/879 for awhile. The 12 build 895/896 should be OK, the last 1183/1184 build adds only Simplified Chinese language support.
vkmast

Postby lingyai » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:43 pm

Thanks again for a helpful reply, vkmast!

I did read a review on Amazon noting that one version of SMS 12 lacked one disc, so I confirmed with the merchant that his had both.

Thanks also for the warning about the NewBlue Titler.

I have not loaded my copy of version 13 yet so don't know which build it is. I hope it's the one which works with FasstApps -- I browsed their site today, and both the Event Tool and Timewarp look like they would be extremely handy. (I suppose I could use them in version 12, but I want to make version 13 the one I use, and am super-keen not to switch back and forth between versions of SMS; in fact, I doubt, on principle, that version 12 could even open a project made in version 13, yes?)

Oh, one more question -- do you know if I am permitted to have SMS running on two PCs?

Anyway, thanks again for your help.
lingyai
New User
New User

Postby vkmast » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:00 pm

lingyai wrote:---I have not loaded my copy of version 13 yet so don't know which build it is. I hope it's the one which works with FasstApps
---I doubt, on principle, that version 12 could even open a project made in version 13, yes?)
---Oh, one more question -- do you know if I am permitted to have SMS running on two PCs?

You'll find all the v 12 and v 13 builds here
http://download.sonymediasoftware.com/current/

See the following SCS KB article on the project file compatibility.
https://www.custcenter.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4258
Furthermore, this means that v 13 will open and edit v 12 files. Once you've saved the file in 13, you can't open it in 12 anymore. Therefore, make copies of your version 12 .vf files first, before playing around with them in 13.

Re "one more question", the current SCS End User License Agreement (EULA) says this:
"Sony grants you a limited license to use the Software only on one (1) computer or mobile device, as applicable, and you may create one (1) back up copy of the Software. "
There are discussions on the forums pondering if this means that you cannot even install it on multiple devices now. The general opinion seems to be that "each license can be installed on more than one computer, but only one computer can use the program at a time. You can't have multiple users accessing the program at the same time on different computers."
This is probably the SCS stand in practice as well since they have not updated the following:
https://www.custcenter.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4559
The current EULA is here
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/corporate/eula
vkmast

Postby lingyai » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:10 pm

Hi vkmast,

Thanks *very* much. You are very clued-up indeed, as well as generous!
lingyai
New User
New User

Postby lingyai » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:14 am

vkmast wrote:
At the moment there seems to be a bug in MSP 13, which prevents the Vasst FasstApps extensions working in 13 build 931/932, so you may want to stay with 13 build 878/879 for awhile. The 12 build 895/896 should be OK, the last 1183/1184 build adds only Simplified Chinese language support.

Hi there ... I got seriously distracted from this for several months... before In install, I just wanted to be 100% sure we are talking about the same products, so I install the right builds as suggested.

I own Movie Studio Suite 13 and Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12. Do these build numbers apply to them? I visited the builds archive at

http://download.sonymediasoftware.com/current/

but the nomenclature is is unclear to me

-- in "moviestudiope13.0.879_64-bit.exe" my guess is that "pe" means platinum edition, whereas I have "Movie Studio Suite 13" (and you menation "MSP") ... so is this right for me?
-- is "moviestudiope12.0.896_64bit.suite.exe" right for me when I own " Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12"?

Sorry to be a pain ... just want to avoid screwing up at the outset...

Grateful again for guidance.
lingyai
New User
New User

Postby vkmast » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:49 am

lingyai,
you say you own Movie Studio Suite 13 and Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12. The latest builds are 943 (MSPlatinum 13 64bit) and 1184 (MSPlatinum 12 64bit). You can download those latest builds from http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dow ... egasfamily. "Suite" is just Platinum with the extras. But you should have the order confirmation email from Sony Creative Software which has all the download links and serial numbers you need.
vkmast

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:50 am

The current download you want is moviestudiope13.0.943_64bit.exe. (Although you can install the one you've download and it will automatically update you.)

And, yes, you're correct. The "pe" means platinum edition. You definitely do not want the generic plain vanilla edition.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby lingyai » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:47 am

Thank you both, gentlemen!
lingyai
New User
New User

Postby fekobel » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:45 pm

When attempting to view VF files created on MSP 12 on MSP 13,a window appears saying all tracks may not be displayed properly.Does this mean I can not use MSP 13 on all files created on MSP 12?
fekobel
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:11 pm

No. Whether the older version project file opens correctly or not in the new version of the software depends on the specific content of the project and which effects/features you used in the construction of the project. The older project may very well open and display correctly. But, things can change between versions -- effects may be dropped, controls may work differently, etc.. If you used one of those things that changed between versions, it's likely that the older project won't display the same in the newer version. For that reason, it's strongly recommended that you finish a project in the version in which it was created.
Bob

Postby fekobel » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:24 pm

Guess I will just use MSP 13 for UHD movies when I buy a UHD camcorder!!!!
fekobel
New User
New User

Postby vkmast » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:36 pm

Note that in MSP 13 "a new Automatically create video proxies for Ultra HD media setting on the Preferences > Video tab allows you to choose whether automatically create video proxy files when adding 4K video to your project."
vkmast

Return to Vegas