They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

(Not Responding)

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

(Not Responding)

Postby super8guy » Tue May 13, 2014 3:26 pm

Let me begin by saying I always start a new project by selecting the "Match media settings" in the "New Project" window. The file I am attempting to edit is 1920 x 1080i x 12 (29.97fps,) a Quick Time Movie. Virtually every time I hit a key to either start play, stop play, make a cut, delete a portion of it on the timeline, my program enters (not responding) mode. This is a first time occurrence and I'm confounded; yes, even flummoxed! :pull: as to why this is occurring.

I don't have this problem when simultaneously editing the following two files:
1) 1440 x 1080 AVCHD video (.MTS)
2) 1920 x 1080 x 12 AVC Quick Time Movie (.mov)

You can see by the specs that my gaming computer is not a 98# weakling. This shouldn't be happening.

Not sure what else you'll need to help me determine what I am doing wrong.
Panasonic AG-AC130A, Sony HDR-SR11, Garmin Virb, Dji Osmo Action, and Contour video cameras, VEGAS Pro 16.0 i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.7GHz, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 Home Premium 64 bit,
super8guy

Re: (Not Responding)

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Tue May 13, 2014 6:06 pm

Do you have latest quicktime installed?
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue May 13, 2014 8:00 pm

I agree with Treetops. Quicktime is the first thing I'd check.

It's also possible Movie Studio can't determine your video specs based on Match Media Settings. That also happens sometimes with MOV files.

What are your video project settings?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby super8guy » Wed May 14, 2014 5:50 am

TreeTopsRanch wrote:Do you have latest quicktime installed?

I believe so. I have the box for "updates automatically" checked. The version I am running is 7.7.5 (1680.95.13) And when i tried to force an update, I was informed I have the latest (and greatest? :) )

Thank you for your input.
Panasonic AG-AC130A, Sony HDR-SR11, Garmin Virb, Dji Osmo Action, and Contour video cameras, VEGAS Pro 16.0 i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.7GHz, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 Home Premium 64 bit,
super8guy

Postby super8guy » Wed May 14, 2014 5:57 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:I agree with Treetops. Quicktime is the first thing I'd check.

It's also possible Movie Studio can't determine your video specs based on Match Media Settings. That also happens sometimes with MOV files.

What are your video project settings?

Steve-
To locate the video project settings I looked under Project, then Properties and found this:
1920 x 1080, 29.970
Field Order: Upper field first
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0000 (square)
Frame rate: 29.970 (NTSC)
Stereoscopic Mode: Off
Full Resolution Rendering: Best
Deinterlace Method: Interpolate fields

The box to adjust source media to better match project or render settings is checked.

Is this helpful, and should anything be adjusted?
Thanks for your help!
super8guy

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed May 14, 2014 8:07 am

Everything seems to be set up correctly -- and you've got powerful enough computer to handle it.

When did you last do a computer tune-up?
*Manually go to Windows Update, ensure Microsoft Updates is selected and download all of the updates, including the non-critical updates that don't install automatically. In particularly check for .NET Framework updates.
*Go to the ATI or nVidia web sites and ensure you have the latest drivers for your video card.
*Run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter.
*Run CCleaner to tune up your registry.

If that doesn't fix it, I'm not sure what's up. It could be a program conflict, a corrupted font or even interference with your antivirus or firewall.

BTW, what model of camcorder is this video coming from? It could also be problem is the MOV uses the MJPEG codec or another delivery format like Divx or Xvid. (You can try opening it G Spot or Media Info to find out which codec it uses.)
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby super8guy » Wed May 14, 2014 9:10 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Everything seems to be set up correctly -- and you've got powerful enough computer to handle it.

When did you last do a computer tune-up?
*Manually go to Windows Update, ensure Microsoft Updates is selected and download all of the updates, including the non-critical updates that don't install automatically. In particularly check for .NET Framework updates.
*Go to the ATI or nVidia web sites and ensure you have the latest drivers for your video card.
*Run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter.
*Run CCleaner to tune up your registry.

If that doesn't fix it, I'm not sure what's up. It could be a program conflict, a corrupted font or even interference with your antivirus or firewall.
BTW, what model of camcorder is this video coming from? It could also be problem is the MOV uses the MJPEG codec or another delivery format like Divx or Xvid. (You can try opening it G Spot or Media Info to find out which codec it uses.)

In the beginning of the month I ran into a problem w/ a MS update, so I had Dell support update my BIOS, reinstall the NVIDIA driver, and all that other stuff you mentioned. The computer is in top form.

I suspect you are on the right track wrt the "problem" file. It was recorded by someone else who was at the performance of the play and I thought I'd be able to use it for another perspective. He told me his Sony camcorder was old, maybe seven years...but it remains the #1 suspect. It must be a format issue as you mentioned. Thanks for your help. At this point, I'll just continue using the two cameras I employed for the editing.
super8guy

Postby super8guy » Wed May 14, 2014 10:03 am

I got adventuresome, not sure I did it correctly, but when I (presumeably) ran it (that is, the video file that my MSPv12 couldn't handle) thru Gspot this is the result: Codec avc1, Name H.264, Status Codec status undetermined.

Then, just for the heck of it, I ran one of the files created by my Contour video camera through gspot, and I got the same output as above! Yet MSP has no trouble handling files from that camera! More D&D (digging and diagnosis) is needed, but I'm not sure what direction to go next.

Since I'm up against a deadline to create the DVD, and I have a lot more technical issues to resolve prior to being able to do that, I'm just gonna drop this particular issue now. Might return to it later; it's way beyond my ability. I'm proud I gave it a try though!
super8guy

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed May 14, 2014 3:03 pm

Meantime, it might be worth investing $29 into Quicktime Pro. It can handle virtually any MOV file, edit it and even convert it very nice to a more universally editable format.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby BuddyB » Fri May 16, 2014 5:39 pm

Steve, I got the 1920X1080, but what's the X12? BTW I use Little Registry Cleaner. It's open source, but it's FREE:) and seems to clean the reg up for me.
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri May 16, 2014 9:39 pm

The technical explanation of the 12 in 1920x1080x12 is: 12 bits per pixel (8 bit YUV with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling).

But that's a bit beyond my understanding. Anybody else know what that means?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat May 17, 2014 2:11 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:The technical explanation of the 12 in 1920x1080x12 is: 12 bits per pixel (8 bit YUV with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling). But that's a bit beyond my understanding. Anybody else know what that means?

Nope. Beyond me too but I googled for it and found this:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Sat May 17, 2014 3:22 am

Steve's correct.

We're used to thinking in terms of pixels being stored in the RGB color space at 24 bits/pixel (8 bits for the Red, 8 bits for the Green, and 8 bits for the Blue). But, this isn't stored in RGB. It's stored in YUV (or more correctly, since it's digital, Y'CbCr). In this color space, brightness is separate from color -- you have an 8 bit luma value, an 8 bit blue/yellow chroma value, and an 8 bit red/green chroma value. Luma is the most important as the eye is more sensitive to luma than to chroma. Because of that, you can get away with skipping some of the chroma values and save space in the file. This is called sub-sampling and there are various ways to do it. The most common sub-sampling scheme is designated 4:2:0 and is the one generally used by consumer level camcorders. In this scheme, sampling is done in blocks of two rows of pixels at a time. The first digit (4) tells how many pixels are in each row of the block -- this is also the number of luma samples in each row. The second digit (2) tells how many chroma pairs (a blue/yellow and a red/green value) are sampled in the first row. The third digit (0) tells how many chroma pairs are sampled in the second row. If we add up all the samples in the block, we get 8 luma, 2 blue/yellow chroma, and 2 red/green chroma samples for a total of 96 bits for the block of 8 pixels. That averages out to 12 bits/pixel. Just remember, that's an average over the block of 8 pixels. It's not literally 12 bits per pixel.
Bob

Postby super8guy » Sat May 17, 2014 8:02 am

Holly molly, that's certainly TMI for super8guy! :ha:
super8guy

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat May 17, 2014 8:11 am

super8guy wrote:Holly molly, that's certainly TMI for super8guy! :ha:

Really? I got everything right up to where he said "Steve's correct." :)
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Next

Return to Vegas