They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Movie Studio Platinum 12 application question

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Movie Studio Platinum 12 application question

Postby Jeffrey W. Arnold » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:18 am

Hello Again, I currently have and use Movie Studio Platinum 12. I have had other Sony Vegas programs in the past. Is it possible to make a professional level movie with the Movie Studio Platinum 12 version? I have a Sony HXR-NX30U HD Video Camera, that I use to record with. I am interested in doing wedding and events videos, as well as some music videos for some local bands. Will the Movie Studio Platinum 12 be antiquate, or should I consider spending the extra cash for Sony Vegas Pro 12? I'm not sure I got the name right. If you can help me, I appreciate the input.
Thanks Jeff,

Dell XPS 27 Windows 8 Intel i7 64 bit NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2TB HD Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12
Jeffrey W. Arnold

Re: Movie Studio Platinum 12 application question

Postby vkmast » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:49 am

Jeffrey, yes you got the names right:)
If you want to know of the differences between MSP and VPro, see these links which were also mentioned in a recent thread on this forum.
http://www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tuto ... latinum-12
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/compare
MSP does lack some of the more advanced features, so if you're going professional, you probably want Vegas Pro.
Many of us expect a new version of that to be available in the near future.
vkmast

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:17 am

The quality of video you can output from Studio vs. Pro is virtually identical, Jeffrey. So, if that's what you mean by "professional level movie", it's not an issue.

Pro can, as you'd expect, work with more professional video formats Studio can not -- like HDCAM, Sony RED and Panasonic P2.

But, according to the specs I've seen online, your camcorder shoots in AVCHD, which is fully supported by Movie Studio 12 Platinum.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jeffrey W. Arnold » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:51 am

Thanks vkmast, and Steve, On one hand it is good to know, as Steve mentions that in terms of video output quality Movie Studio Platinum is up for the task, yet vk mentions that some of the functionality of Pro is not in Movie Studio Platinum. My camcorder shoots in ACVHD as Steve mentions, and I am delighted with the 1080I picture quality. What is considered broadcast quality? What resolution is best for professional projects? If I am asking too many questions, please forgive me, I am just trying to educate myself. I have been making videos for a few years, but only recently started thinking about doing it on a semi-professional or professional level. I am happy I found this website, I need to get signed up for the members stuff. I can see this is a useful sight. By the way vk, I did review the links you provided, interesting how they have two versions of Pro and one is $200.00 more and I didn't see additional value for the higher price.
Thanks Jeff,

Dell XPS 27 Windows 8 Intel i7 64 bit NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2TB HD Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12
Jeffrey W. Arnold

Postby vkmast » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:49 am

Jeffrey W. Arnold wrote:By the way vk, I did review the links you provided, interesting how they have two versions of Pro and one is $200.00 more and I didn't see additional value for the higher price.

VPro Edit leaves out DVD Architect Pro authoring software and Dolby 5.1 surround and stereo AC-3 encoding.
vkmast

Return to Vegas