They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Updating Architect 5.0

Talk about the Sony Vegas line of products.

Updating Architect 5.0

Postby super8guy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:31 pm

I was feeling lucky, actually I don't know what got into me when I decided to update DVD Architect build 128 to the most recent build that was released in Dec 2011, namely build 157. My 128 build wasn't broke and I learned a valuable lesson...if it ain't broke, don't mess w/ it.

Anyhow, the download from the Sony website of the 168mb "patch" proceeded seamlessly until after the required reboot. It was then I noticed that I no longer had the DVD Architect desktop icon. And when I attempted to load it using the start button, the message informed me it was no longer available. Same, when I sent over a project from VMS HD10.0. The message I got was something on the order of, unavailable, please load the DVD Architect program.

Then I go looking under windows explorer and I find it listed, but that's about the extent of my abilities. I now need help. Has anyone here tried to update Architect w/ similar disastrous results? What should I try next. Does someone have a telephone number for Sony, or a website to look for help, or any suggestions?

Yes, I do have my original disk, and I suppose that's what I'll do, and live w/ that build 128.
Panasonic AG-AC130A, Sony HDR-SR11, Garmin Virb, Dji Osmo Action, and Contour video cameras, VEGAS Pro 16.0 i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.7GHz, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 Home Premium 64 bit,
super8guy

Re: Updating Architect 5.0

Postby super8guy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:18 pm

I did some searching on the Sony help forums. I conclude I am stuck in Sony quicksand and won't get out soon...ever? Here's one comment from another DVD AS (frustrated) user written July 10, seemingly abandoned by Sony:

Sorry for the caps, but SONY, PLEASE PULL THIS BROKEN "BUILD 157" PATCH AND PROVIDE A FIXED VERSION!!!!! IT IS BROKEN, FAULTY, CORRUPT, DESTRUCTIVE AND USELESS! Don't you care about your paying customers?

If anyone reading this using build 128 and contemplating the "free" update to build 157...in a word, don't!
Panasonic AG-AC130A, Sony HDR-SR11, Garmin Virb, Dji Osmo Action, and Contour video cameras, VEGAS Pro 16.0 i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.7GHz, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 Home Premium 64 bit,
super8guy

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:03 pm

Sorry for your problems, superguy. I've got all of the updates and I don't have any problems at all. So I'm not sure what to tell you except to try a reinstall.

Meantime, posting angry words to Sony on this forum, of course, is of no use at all -- since I'm not even sure Sony is aware this forum even exists! So I'd write to them directly.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:29 pm

And if you still have your original disk you could try to install the old version. The new version took away some features anyway.
For instance: The recent build (157) of DVD Arch will not allow us to burn a AVCHD Blue-ray file onto a DVD anymore.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:41 pm

Did you try System Restore?
Peru

Postby super8guy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:02 pm

TreeTopsRanch wrote:And if you still have your original disk you could try to install the old version. The new version took away some features anyway.
For instance: The recent build (157) of DVD Arch will not allow us to burn a AVCHD Blue-ray file onto a DVD anymore.

I'm kinda biding my time until I get a definite ans on how to (safely) proceed. I've read that once you downloaded build 157, it's not possible to install AS again until whatever AS remnant remains on the HD is uninstalled. Makes sense. Just not sure about what to do.

I've also "heard" that there's a limited number of installs that the owner can expect from their copy of AS. Anyone know how many installs are available?
super8guy

Postby super8guy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:07 pm

Peru wrote:Did you try System Restore?

No I haven't. I'm not only an AS novice, I also have limited computer skills, but that's something I'd be able to research, just don't have the courage to try...

I know that we must learn from our mistakes, I'm just not over the mess I caused by trying to update AS.
super8guy

Postby super8guy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:27 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Sorry for your problems, superguy. I've got all of the updates and I don't have any problems at all. So I'm not sure what to tell you except to try a reinstall.

Meantime, posting angry words to Sony on this forum, of course, is of no use at all -- since I'm not even sure Sony is aware this forum even exists! So I'd write to them directly.

I sent Sony an email, but from what I've read about the experience of others wrt this issue, I should not expect them to help or even prevent the next person from having this exact same calamity from occurring. It's up to me to solve this problem w/ other kind peoples' help.

Thanks for commiserating. You're right about Sony paying attention to their issues, but at least I felt a wee bit better by venting. Don't you find it incredible that this known issue (evident since Dec 2011) has not yet been addressed by Sony?

How did you escape this pitfall? When you went to update your copy of AS build 128, how did you avoid what I (and others) have experienced? I'd appreciated hearing about it. I thought it was a universal problem when going from build 128 to 157. Is the problem specific to a certain OS or brand of computer?

Thanks.
super8guy

Postby Peru » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:27 pm

super8guy wrote:

No I haven't. I'm not only an AS novice, I also have limited computer skills, but that's something I'd be able to research, just don't have the courage to try...

What is your operating system? There are many easy tutorials on how to do it.
It will very likely fix it.
Peru

Postby super8guy » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:41 am

Peru,

I'm using Vista 64 bit (not sure which version.)

I saw there are many vids on youTube addressing the topic of sys restore. Just wondering if it's better to remove whatever was put on my computer when I attempted to update AS or just do the sys restore? Or perhaps it really doesn't matter?

When one does a sys restore, is any data such as documents, photos, etc removed...or are only "command" files altered.

Thanks.
super8guy

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:29 am

Only the operating system is affected by a System Restore, superguy. No data is erased or lost.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:31 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Only the operating system is affected by a System Restore, superguy. No data is erased or lost.

...unless they are located on the desktop only.

If you have a folder or file on the desktop (not a shortcut to the folder or file, but the actual folder or file), it could be affected. That's why you should always have a shortcut to a file which is located somewhere else like My Docs and not the actual file on the desktop.

Unfortunately, I speak from experience.
Peru

Postby super8guy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:11 pm

No, I downloaded REVO Uninstaller, which was used to remove the corrupted copy of DVDAS, then I simply reinstalled DVDAS from my disk. That worked, and I'm back up and running w/ Build 128.
super8guy

Postby Peru » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:53 pm

Glad to hear that.
Thanks for the update. It may help others.
Peru

Return to Vegas