They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

combining videos of diff sample rate

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

combining videos of diff sample rate

Postby curt y » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:45 pm

I have 2 videos of the same subject, one is 8 second long of normal speed, the other is 60 seconds long at slow speed. I can not combine them as they are different frame rates.

Is there a way to sequence them so that by clicking on one button (from a sub menu) it will play the normal video and then immediately follow with the slow motion one?
curt y

Re: combining videos of diff sample rate

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:54 pm

Are you sure these videos are of different frame rates? It sounds, from your description, like one is just in slow motion. (Same number of frames -- just slower playback.) What format are these videos in?

In any event, if you've got two videos on your disc you can set them up to play one after another by creating a Playlist.

When you right-click on a menu page in the workspace and select the Insert Playlist option, a list of all of the videos on your disc will appear. You can then select which will appear in your Playlist and in what order.

The Playlist will be launched by the single button you've created on this menu page.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:14 pm

Curt, what video editor are you using? I would bring both clips into the timeline of your editor and then slow or speed up as appropriate, then export the result as a single file.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby curt y » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:31 pm

Steve, yes you are correct, it says different sample rate, so can not combine them.

Can add them together, but then have to produce new video. Always figure one looses quality each time it is remade and resampled (not sure this is correct term).

Will try the playlist and see how that goes.

Thanks
curt y

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:31 pm

Curt, I always suggest using only "finished" video in DVD Architect.

As Bobby says, you'd be best to run all of your video through a video editor and then output it in a form that's optimized for DVD authoring.

Which video editor are you using? Most have a tool for outputting video for a DVD.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby curt y » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:32 pm

I am using AVS Editor. It was relatively inexpensive and the output was good, or better than most other software I tried.

I measured the output by doing a screen grab and enlarging 600x in photoshop. It is all relative, but if I use the same method I can compare different formats. Many formats had huge files (used a fixed size clip as default) to get reasonably same quality.

I found the best results with h.264 1200kbps/AVC. The MPEG-4(DivX) 1500 kbps had similar quality, a little less contrast, and took 55% more space.

Not sure what format, size, or quality a file "outputting video for a DVD" would have. I don't see anything labeled as such. They have Video DivX 192 kbps as an option, but quality a little less than h.264 although the size was about 12% less.
curt y

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:44 pm

it says different sample rate, so can not combine them

FYI, that message is refering to the sampling rate of the audio portion of the video, not the video portion or frame rate. The sampling rates have to match or be conformed (i.e. resampled to match) in order to be combined.
Bob

Postby curt y » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:15 pm

Bob wrote:
it says different sample rate, so can not combine them

FYI, that message is refering to the sampling rate of the audio portion of the video, not the video portion or frame rate. The sampling rates have to match or be conformed (i.e. resampled to match) in order to be combined.

There was no audio on the clips.
curt y

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:37 pm

Sampling still refers to audio. video frames are not sampled.

It could just be erroneous data in the file header. What does GSpot say about the file? (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/index.htm)
Bob

Postby curt y » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:54 pm

G spot has just blanks for audio.

Enclosed is error file in virtual dub when I try to append one avi to another.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
curt y

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:29 pm

I've got to go back to outputting your video from your video editor. You certainly should not be using the H.264 codec.

You should be outputting a DVD-quality MPEG-2 720x480 NTSC non-square pixels and Dolby Digital stereo. (Both Premiere Elements and Vegas Movie Studio include specific templates for this kind of output.)

This is the format DVD Architect will eventually encode to -- and the closer your video is to its final format, the less re-encoding the program will need to do. That means better quality output and much faster transcoding!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby curt y » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Steve

Here is file after I converted in the AVS Video Converter when I select "To DVD". It ends up in a .vob file, but this is what G spot reads.

I am pretty green on the video stuff, so is this what is best for DVD Architect, or do I need another converter?

Also, in the .vob file there are a bunch of files. When I list files for the dvd do I ignore all but the one with biggest byte? (in this case at bottom)

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
curt y

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:36 am

I don't know enough about AVS to comment. But it appears that it has created 4:3 DVD files. In fact, these are essentially finished files. I'm not sure they would make good files for DVD Architect Studio.

Is there no setting for outputting MPEGs at 720x480?

Have you considered using a video editor (like Premiere Elements or Vegas Movie Studio) rather than a converter to create these MPEGs?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby curt y » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:39 pm

I can produce my movies in MPEG which gives MPEG-2 720x480 NTSC file. It makes them twice as big as the original.

HOWever, if I use the Video Converter to change my .avi to NTSC MPEG-2 file the output seen in DVD Architect is an Audio TS and a Video TS file. I can see no way to drag the files to the menu. It is a .vob file.

A double click on the Video TS file does nothing, if I try to drag the file the cursor turns into a red circle with a line through it.

So what is the best way to convert my .avi (h.264) files to mpeg-2 files before I send them to DVD A?
curt y

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:14 pm

It depends on the video editing software you're using.

As I've said, both Vegas and Premiere Elements have presets for outputting DVD-ready video.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to DVD Architect