They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Beginner's DVD Architect Question: Add AVI to Timeline?

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

Beginner's DVD Architect Question: Add AVI to Timeline?

Postby jdanniel » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:06 am

Hello.

I'm dabbling with both Sony DVD Architect and ULead DVD Movie Factory. I've posted a question about ULead in another thread.

Right now, I'm a bit confused by how DVD Architect operates. Here's what's happening:

I have a 90-minute AVI clip that I want to convert to DVD format, complete with a main menu and submenu with chapters. It took me a while to figure out how to add the clip to the timeline, but I finally realized I could simply drag-and-drop it.

The problem is, when I do that, the menu screen turns completely black, and the individual frames in the timeline are all black, as well. I thought I'd be able to see the video image in the timeline, broken up into segments. Everything is black.

However, when I place the mouse cursor anywhere in the timeline, the scene appears in the menu screen. The menu text is still in the menu screen, as well.

Is this correct? Is this supposed to happen?

Also, I can't set any chapter points. The Insert Scene/Chapter Marker button is greyed out.

So, I'm assuming I'm doing all of this wrong. Am I? If I am, what did I do wrong, and how do I rectify it?

Thank you!

J. Danniel

(Please call me Jd.)
jdanniel

Re: Beginner's DVD Architect Question: Add AVI to Timeline?

Postby Paul LS » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:09 am

What format is your video JD?
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby jdanniel » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:15 am

Hi Paul.

It's in AVI format. I don't know anything other than that about it.

Since posting the original message, I've noticed that the images from the clip do appear in the timeline. However, I still cannot create chapter points.

Am I going to have to convert the AVI clip into a format that DVD Architect can accept, in order to work with it? Since I do not currently know if the AVI clip used any compression or anything like that, I do not know if DVD Architect supports this format or not. I'm assuming it does, because it's visible in the screen.

One other question, while it's on my mind: If I do want to set a chapter point, how do I fine-tune it to get it to a precise point? For example, if I want a chapter point to be at the 10-minute mark exactly, how do I tweak it to go from, oh, say 00:10:02:17 to 00:10:00:00?

One thing at a time, though...I need to get chapter points working before I begin messing with precise points.

Thank you!

Jd
jdanniel

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:07 am

DVD Architect is very good about accepting a wide range of video formats -- but even it has trouble with some odd codecs.

The easiest way to find out what codec your AVI uses is to open it in Windows Media Player. Go to File/Properties and it should show you both the video and audio codecs.

If it doesn't recognize the codecs, though, we may need to use more advanced software to decipher it.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jdanniel » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:39 pm

The AVI clip plays in Windows Media Player.

(Keep in mind, I'm using Windows 7 RC.)

But I can't find any information about which codec is being used.

In Explorer, I right-clicked on the file, selected Properties, and then selected Details.
I see nothing.

The AVI clip does play in DVD Architect. How else can I trace the codec?

Is knowing the codec essential, if I know the clip can be viewed in DVD Architect?
jdanniel

Postby JohnnyO » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:48 pm

Yiou are reminding me that I too have had this same problem. It was with an exported DV-AVI clip made in PRE7.

I did not have this problem with an exported DV-AVI clip mad ein MAGIX Movie Edit Pro.

Perhaps the easies thing to do is save the AVI as an MPEG2 and see if that works.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby jdanniel » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:53 pm

Unfortunately, I do not know how this clip was created, or what codec or specific AVI format it's in. I'm wondering if there is software that can determine it.

Of course, I suppose I could convert it to basic MPG format, like you mentioned. Fortunately, I have about 1 1/3 terabytes of disk space, total, including two externals, so even if the MPG file is significantly larger than the original AVI clip, I'll still have room for it.

I'm just curious to find out how long it would take to convert, even with a dual core processor. Jd
jdanniel

Postby Bob » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:42 pm

jdanniel wrote:Unfortunately, I do not know how this clip was created, or what codec or specific AVI format it's in. I'm wondering if there is software that can determine it.

Try GSpot, you can download it from http://gspot.headbands.com/
Bob

Postby jdanniel » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:17 am

Okay, I think I solved the problem.

I didn't switch to the title in the drop-down menu at the top of the screen.

And I think...let me repeat this...I think...I figured out how to get the chapters into the menu.

I'll follow-up soon to let you know how this all turned out.

I do have a quick question, though: When I create a scene selection menu, it says SCENE SELECTION in the Main Menu. Is there a way to change this text to CHAPTERS or something like that, without it affecting the actual performance of the menu?

Thank you! Jd
jdanniel

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:46 am

When I create a scene selection menu, it says SCENE SELECTION in the Main Menu. Is there a way to change this text to CHAPTERS or something like that, without it affecting the actual performance of the menu?

Yes.

There are two places you may want to change the text. The title of scene menu that appears when the menu is displayed, and the name of the scene menu which will appear on the main menu. The two text items are independent and can have different text. To change the title of scene menu, display the menu then click on the scene menu title and press F2 (or right click, rename). Enter the desired text. For the name of scene menu, select the "SCENE SELECTION" item (the one with the folder icon next to it) in the Project Overview Window. Right click and select "rename" or press F2. Type your desired text. When you place the button/link on the main menu it will have the new text.
Bob

Postby jdanniel » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:19 pm

Good news....

SUCCESS!

Somehow, I figured out how to complete a project, and now I have a DVD complete with a menu and two chapter menus! It turned out to be much easier than I expected.
A little bit of compression was required, because the project created a DVD that just slightly exceeded a standard blank DVD size. The level was 95%, meaning only 5% compression, which is acceptable to me. The DVD looks good on my PC monitor, but I haven't tried it out on a regular TV set.
(Ironically, the TV conked out just days before I attempted this project.)

Right now, I have two minor follow-up questions, if I may.

1) I haven't figured out if Sony DVD Architect provides ISO creation. I'd like to make an .ISO file of the completed DVD. Is this possible to do with DVD Architect?

2) This is a minor question, but...when editing text, I noticed there were options for bold face type and italics, but not underlining. Is there, in fact, an option to underline text in a menu?

I think these are the only questions I have right now. Thank you! Jd
jdanniel

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:23 pm

As far as I know, there is no way to underline text in Premiere Elements Disc Authoring workspace.

I don't know anything about creating ISO files. Hopefully someone else will chime in with an answer.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jdanniel » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:28 pm

Steve,

I was referring to Sony DVD Architect. Did you mean that program and not Premiere Elements?
jdanniel

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:30 pm

Yes. Sorry about that.

I also found this in the DVD Architect Studio Help files:

Select your burning settings:

a. Type the name of your disc in the Volume name box.

b. Choose your DVD burner from the Device drop-down list, or choose ISO Image Writer if you want to save your project as an ISO 9660 image.

If you choose ISO Image Writer, the File name box lists the file name and folder that will be used to create the ISO. Click the Browse button to choose a different file name or folder.

Does that get you what you need?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jdanniel » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:34 pm

Ahhhh there it is. Kind of buried but there it is, thank you.
jdanniel

Return to DVD Architect