They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Widescreen project in DVD Architect Studio 4.5

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

Widescreen project in DVD Architect Studio 4.5

Postby Chris » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:37 am

Hi,

I've been using DVDA 4.0 and now 4.5 for a while. My usual workflow has been to edit in Prel and export as avi. Then I use the avi files in DVD Architect,
set up menus/submenus and then burn the DVD. This has worked fine for all my projects in 4:3 aspect ratio. This weekend I attempted my first 16:9 project
and had problems in DVDA. If I burn the movie directly inside Prel (no menus) it plays back correctly as widescreen when watched in my DVD player. But, when
I export the movie as avi and then bring it to DVDA, the image is "squashed" with black bars to the left and right. I checked the project settings in DVDA and for
widescreen the templates only have something like (if I remember correctly) NTSC weidescreen (720x480) and NTSC Widescreen(702x480).

Has anyone done widescreen from Prel to DVDA studio 4.0 or 4.5? Am I missing something in the settings in DVDA?
Chris
New User
New User

Re: Widescreen project in DVD Architect Studio 4.5

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:49 am

It certainly should work, Chris.

Can you tell us where you set the settings and which settings you've used?

Another possibility is that the disc isn't automatically triggering the widescreen setting on your DVD player -- very common with home burned DVDs.

The test would be to try your DVD on your computer first. (Even easier if you burned to a folder rather than directly to a disc.)

If the disc does indeed have widescreen on it, then you just need to turn on the settings on your DVD player.

There's also this, from Sony's forum:

1. Make sure you *render* from your editing software to DV/AVI Widescreen format (not just to std DV). (Check the output with Windows Media Player.)

2. Make sure your DVD Architect Studio project is set for Widescreen.

If either of those steps along the way happen to be set for "normal" 4:3 screen format, Vegas or DVD Arch will need to rescale every video frame so that it is letterboxed within the 4:3 frame. And this can result in quality loss.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chris » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:58 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I'm at work now so I'll have to wait to get home to check the settings. One thing for sure is that the widescreen movie if burnt
from premiere elements 4 (SHARE tab) does play as widescreen when played back in my DVD player.

This same movie I export as avi and bring to DVD architect. It is inside of architect (preview) that the image is distorted. I don't know if I would have to first
bring the avi file into Vegas Studio and then send to architect (haven't tried that).
Chris
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:51 pm

If the widescreen image look squeezed in DVD Architect Studio, even before you create your DVD, that would seem to be a strong indication that your DVD Architect project isn't set up correctly.

I'll have a look at home also tonight. Tell me what settings you set and where you set them in DVD Architect and I'll tell you what I learn.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chris » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:14 pm

Hi Steve,

Well, tried it again and seems to be working fine. I used the template widescreen720x480. When I drop the avi file into DVDA it now fills the whole screen. I guess I messed up somehow when I tried it the first time.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:36 pm

Any solution is a good solution, Chris.

By the way, I'm at work on a book about DVD Architect Studio and, with any luck, it will be out in the next couple of months.

These kinds of challenges definitely help me with my research!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:By the way, I'm at work on a book about DVD Architect Studio and, with any luck, it will be out in the next couple of months.

Are we seeing the emergence of a full time author...? image188
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bobby » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:40 am

Steve, can you import fullscreen (i.e. 4:3) AVI files into a DVDA widescreen project?

In my normal workflow for my old VHS and Digital8 tapes, I prepare the chapters in fullscreen, and finally bring them all in to a widescreen "assembly" project. I add a wide background so as not to have black bars on the sides (and to preserve screens for those of us who have plasma TVs) and set up the menu markers for each chapter.

Will this work in DVDA?
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:50 am

If you put a standard DV video into a widescreen DVDA project, it comes in as standard DV, with black on either side, when you play it. (Obviously, the menu itself is still full widescreen.)

You won't be able to add a wider background to the video in DVD Architect. You should do that in Premiere Elements and then output the video as a widescreen AVI.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:57 am

But if I do that Steve, then it is all in one AVI and I would have to hunt manually for the menu marker positions. As I do it today in the final PRE pass, I just tab to the next clip on the timeline.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:24 am

The menu markers you set up in Premiere Elements are irrelevant when you port your project to DVD Architect, Bob.

You simply place the clips you want linked to on a menu in the Architect workspace and the program creates the link to it.

If you've got a large segment that you want individual scenes to, you can add it several times and trim it to display only the segments you want to link to.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chris B » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:25 pm

If you've got a large segment that you want individual scenes to, you can add it several times and trim it to display only the segments you want to link to.

I'm new to this so be patient. I tried this (I think) when I rendered a project in two halves because it was crashing. Whereas the scenes worked fine and I could skip forward, I couldn't skip back from the second segment to the first. Is this a restriction or am I doing something wrong?
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:28 pm

I'm not sure what you're saying, Chris.

Are we talking about DVD Architect? You shouldn't have to break your video in two.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chris B » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:55 pm

Hi Steve - No PE wouldn't render it so I needed to import 2 clips into architect (I suppose I could have re-rendered it again as one clip but it's rather big...). So I'm just feeling my way round architect at the moment.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:11 pm

I plan to have the book done on DVD Architect Studio done and on sale by mid-April!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to DVD Architect