They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Version?

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

Version?

Postby Bobby » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:41 pm

I have decided to get Sony DVD Architect. But after looking around at both Sony's site and elsewhere, I am confused about what versions are what. Does Architect Pro only come with Vegas? Is Studio the "user" version? What is the current version for Studio - if 4.5, is there a V5 that is downloadable? I believe that Pro is at 5.

Anyhow, somebody help me through this mess. I want the $50 version, but want the latest and needs to have BluRay capability. A pointer to Amazon for the correct version would be great :-D
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Version?

Postby cdeemer » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:06 pm

I have version 4 and absolutely love this program!

It is confusing re latest version. According to Sony page http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dvdastudio, there's an update to make 4.5c. At Amazon, 4.5 is at http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SDVDAS4500-DVD-Architect-Studio/dp/B000RO3DNA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1230577062&sr=8-1

But here is a version 5 download ... http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/Audio-CD-DVD-Burning/Sony-DVD-Architect-Studio.shtml
Editor, Oregon Literary Review
Artistic Director, Small Screen Video
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:07 pm

Here is the $50 version. It's the Studio version, DVD Architect Studio 4.5c.

Blu-ray is *not* supported.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dvdastudio/features
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby JohnnyO » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:10 pm

Sony DVD Architect Studion is the pro-sumer version. I believe 4.5 is the latest version available.

I see it is $37.99 at amazon.com. It lists for $49.99 on the Sony web site. They used to have an offer with $10.00 off if you chose the download version Even if they still had that offer, Amazon is cheaper.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:46 pm

I have the Pro version (it came with Sony Vegas Pro) and if I recall Blu-ray was introduced in the 5.0 release.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:58 pm

Thanks all for the quick responses! BTW I downloaded the latest trial from the Sony website, and it was 4.5d.

But that V5 download that Charles mentioned is for Pro, not Studio. I hate to plunk down my bux without BD support.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:06 pm

I just spoke to Sony Creative Software customer service. Studio is in fact the only standalone version of the program. Pro is only bundled with Vegas.

But they have chosen NOT to come out (as of yet) with a version of Studio supporting BD. The guy on the phone said it was an issue with the cost of the codec licensing for Dolby 5.1.

So, any other ideas appreciated! Any other candidates for a better DVD authoring program out there that do support BD?
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:31 pm

Do you have Nero 8 or higher? That will smart render the AVCHD created by Premiere Elements. You need that Phantom Drive or similar so you can export to a fake blu-ray disc from Premiere Elements. Then you take the .m2ts as source for Nero Video. Nero has expanded it's menu authoring so you can create some more complex menus. You'll need to buy the Nero Blu-ray plug-in.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:59 pm

I have Nero 7. I generally consider their software mostly junk. I use it for what does work and what was their core competency - writing CDs and DVDs and mostly ignore the rest. I don't think it will give me the functionality I want, but I will check it out. Thanks Robert...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:08 pm

Hi Robert, my experience has been that NERO will not smart render the AVCHD output from PE7... that is why I have been using ULEAD DVD Moviefactory...
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:41 pm

It smart renders the blu-ray movie file that is on the disc. If you export to an AVCHD format through Share, then I guess not, as you have experienced.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:48 pm

You know what, you are right, Paul. I was thinking of when it smart rendered when creating an AVCHD disc on a regular DVD.

Sorry, Bob.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:43 am

I found that Nero 8 Vision will Smart Encode blu-ray files that are made from MPEG-2, but not MPEG-4 (H.264).
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to DVD Architect