They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Sony Architect Workflow

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

Re: Sony Architect Workflow

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:37 pm

Have to agree with Charles Deemer as to making it a bigger deal than it has to be. Remember, DVD Architect Studio is a consumer level product which touts ease of use and drag and drop functionality. It's intended to transcode whatever media you drop into it without the user having to know the gory technical details.

I'm not currently using DVD Architect, but I've been considering getting it and have been looking into it. I've only seen one issue with avi and that was with DVD Architect Pro 5 where there was a bug transcoding AVI and you had to work around by using mpeg-2 instead of avi. But even there, Sony said they were working to fix that in the next release. I don't know whether that bug even appeared in the consumer "Studio" version.

Just out of curiosity, just where exactly does it say that DVD Architect prefers mpeg-2? I've never seen that anywhere. Has Sony ever said that, or is it "conventional wisdom" (i.e. an "urban legend", so to speak)?
Bob

Postby edmacke » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:58 pm

cdeemer, Bob wrote:I think you're making this into a much bigger more stressful deal than it is.

Excellent, I was hoping that was the case. I feel a little better that the Architect folks have weighed in with a vote for simplicity.

I thought I saw there was a trial version of Architect? I'll give that a try with some of my existing AVIs, and try some MPGs, too, just for comparison. AVI would certainly be easier, but exporting to MPG with defaults (or a saved template) would be easy enough, too.

Bill Hunt wrote:the more one learns, the better

Or, ignorance = bliss. :-D
edmacke
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:06 pm

edmacke wrote:I thought I saw there was a trial version of Architect?

The free trial is here: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dow ... dvdastudio
Bob

Postby cdeemer » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:44 pm

You know, Bob, that's a good question ... I read it somewhere but can't seem to find it in the manual at the moment. However, Sony Vegas and Architect work together, and I do know (because I recently did it) when you select "send to Architect" from Vegas, when it sends is an mpg file (which also suggests the preference). Also, I am using an earlier version of Architect, and newer versions may be more flexible.

I just tried to import an avi into Architect and it didn't take, not in my earlier version.
Editor, Oregon Literary Review
Artistic Director, Small Screen Video
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:41 am

I just tried to import an avi into Architect and it didn't take, not in my earlier version.

Interesting. The current version of Architect Studio (4.5) definitely says it supports avi -- says DirectX 9.0c is required though. That shouldn't be a problem.
Bob

Postby Paul LS » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:32 am

I have DVDArchitect 4.5 and recently it was upgraded to 5.0. However I only use 5.0 for HDV Blu-ray work and not importing AVI. One thing I have read on the forums (but didn't take much notice of) is that many people import the video and audio seperately because of issues with the audio import... if I recall. I'll try to find some of those old threads.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Svein Berger » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:29 am

I've just tried DVD Architect (trial, 4.5). And I used DV-AVI files from PE. No problem at all. Everything worked fine.
Svein
-- Canon Legria HF M52, Canon HV20 --
Svein Berger
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby edmacke » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:44 am

Svein Berger wrote:I've just tried DVD Architect (trial, 4.5). And I used DV-AVI files from PE. No problem at all. Everything worked fine.

Yeah!! I love it when stuff works. I'm going to give DVD Architect a try on my next project. Thanks to all who weighed in!
edmacke
New User
New User

Postby Bill Hunt » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:15 pm

The main reason that I always Import elemental streams (Encore2), is that I am Exporting my Audio to DD 5.1 SS, as AC3 and when these are mux'ed to an MPEG file, the DD often does not translate perfectly. Though it takes a moment longer to do elemental stream Exports, I can get exactly what I want, and what seems to work the best in my authoring program. It also allows me to store my Video only files in one folder and Bin and the same for Audio. Plus, if I have to make any changes to either, I'm just Exporting that "part" of it. While I have not had too many problems with mux'ed Assets in Encore2, some have - so I keep it simple and "elemental." [Pun intended]

Pretty much the same for any other Audio Assets. I always Export as AC3 (if DD) and PCM/WAV. I convert all MP3's in Audition (or other), especially as I try to "recover" a bit of the lost bass from that compression scheme. While many MP3's work fine, some just do not. I'd rather use, what the application likes best to cut any losses. [Note: I do get lazy with tiny SFX files in MP3 format in my NLE, but to date, all have worked fine. Still, if I am re-working them, say making mono into stereo, or vice versa, I'll Export these as AC3 or PCM/WAV.]

I'm just a creature of habit...

Do not know Architect's preferred Audio format, but I'd say that whatever is native to Sony's Soundforge would be my first choice.

Hunt

PS I hear that the Sony products are quite good and come highly recommended. I just do not have any.
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to DVD Architect