They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DVDA Rendering question

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

DVDA Rendering question

Postby bbrener » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:37 pm

I had edited 6 movie segments in MS12 and rendered them as 1920x1080-60i 29.97fps as they were originally recorded. I believe the advice was to render the project the same as the original. They are about 1.5 hours in length and total combined rendering time was 4 to 5 hours. I have a quad core with 8mb and rendered using my Nvidia GPU.

Now I imported those clips into DVDA as a single project with a simple one layer menu, no sub-menus. I am burning them as a DVD DL and 720x480-60i as recommended.
This re-renders the project and takes over 5.5 hours again! See screenshot.

Snapshot_2013.12.30_17h34m20s_001.png

So around 11 hours PC time to produce a 1.5 hour DVD.

Somehow this seems wrong. I assume it is re-rendering down to 720x480 from the 1920x1080. If I am going to burn DVD's, would I not be better off rendering it in MS12 as 720x480 in the first place?

Brian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bbrener
New User
New User

Re: DVDA Rendering question

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:09 pm

Yes, I think that is the way to go. (Render to 720x480 in MS12 so that DVDA doesn't have to do it.)
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby bbrener » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:23 pm

TreeTopsRanch wrote:Yes, I think that is the way to go. (Render to 720x480 in MS12 so that DVDA doesn't have to do it.)

I think it would be nice if the tutorials and books qualified the advice to match the project properties with an actual recorded clip when the final output is a DVD. Would save double rendering.
Thanks for the prompt advice.
bbrener
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:00 pm

I think it would be nice if the tutorials and books qualified the advice to match the project properties with an actual recorded clip when the final output is a DVD.

Matching the project properties to the video clip properties is what you should normally do. That doesn't mean that you have to output the video to that same format. DVD's use MPEG2 and the best practice is to output to DVD compliant MPEG2 from your video editor. DVD Architect will convert to mpeg2 if necessary. But, it will be much slower doing it in DVDAS than in the video editor. There should be a template for outputting dvd compliant mpeg2 in your editor.
Bob

Postby bbrener » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:23 pm

Yes. I apologize for my misunderstanding. I have now found that in Page 115 of the DVDA Guide. There is a template for DVD Architect output and I did not realize the implication have slavishly followed the direction in MS12 guide to match properties with a media clip. I guess I should do that for editing and then when rendering pick 720x480 as the output option.
Experience is a great teacher.
:oops:
Thank you all.
bbrener
New User
New User

Return to DVD Architect