They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Possible serious bug in DVD Architect?

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

Possible serious bug in DVD Architect?

Postby bernieraffe » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:54 am

I'd completed the creation of my educational DVD which contained about 25 5-10 minute video clips. I tested the DVD on my TV and all looked good, I'd been through over half the video clips and they were all playing fine. This was to be the final stage before I sent everything off for duplication.

I decided to play one last clip and found that although the video was meant to play for about 7 minutes, it only lasted about 3 minutes before finishing. I checked some other clips and there were 3 or 4 which did the same, they just finished much too soon. I thought perhaps I'd messed up when saving the videos in PRE11, maybe accidentally used the 'workspace' only option, but in the back of my mind, I thought that was unlikely, as I don't often use that settings.

I played the truncated mpg files on my PC using Windows Media Player, and they played through to the end, I then previewed them in DVD Architect and found that they were being truncated and were stopping well before the end.

Anyway, cut a long story short and after a bit of trial and error I discovered the problem. Because my DVD has multiple video clips, I'd been refining the order of videos, removing some and then adding different ones (it's a 3 DVD set). But instead of just dragging and dropping in replacement videos, occasionally i'd just change the media 'replace' option to change the video, and if I replaced a shorter video with a longer one, DVD architect still kept the original timings.

So try this, bring in a video clip and then on the actual screen where you play the video, use the 'Media Properties / Track Video' option to replace the video and audio with a completely different longer video clip. You'll see that everything appears to work fine, but then if you play that video it will only last as long as the original.

I'm using DVD Architect v5.0 build 186

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Cheers,
Bernie
bernieraffe

Re: Possible serious bug in DVD Architect?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:23 am

I'm not sure I'd call that a bug, Bernie. Virtually every video editor I know does the same thing, if I'm understanding you right.

When your replace one media clip with another media clip, it replaces the base media -- but it doesn't change the length of the "event", or the space the media clip has been allotted in your project. So, in other words, unless you manually change it, when you replace a 30 second clip, for instance, with a 1 minute clip, the event remains 30 seconds long and you will only get 30 seconds of your new clip.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bernieraffe » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:34 am

Hmm. well if it's intentional, I would say that at the very least, a popup message should be displayed, informing you that the replacement video will be the same length as the original. I consider myself quite experienced now with DVD Architect and it certainly caught me out, and could have been a very expensive mistake for me!

By the way, you say
unless you manually change it, when you replace a 30 second clip, for instance, with a 1 minute clip...

I assume you're referring to the timespan of the clip, how do you change it manually, I couldn't find a way.

Cheers,
Bernie
bernieraffe

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:11 am

I think you can "un-trim" it on the DVD Architect timeline for the video.

Otherwise, it might be wise not to replace one video with another of a different length. It would be safer to just delete one clip and then add the new one.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bernieraffe » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:16 am

Ha! So much for me being experienced, I'd forgotten all about the timeline, I don't normally have it displayed. If I had this probably wouldn't have happened.

Thanks for your help, Steve,
Bernie
bernieraffe

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:43 am

Always, Bernie.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to DVD Architect