They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Questions about creating a BluRay

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

Questions about creating a BluRay

Postby bernieraffe » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:31 am

I've successfully created a DVD set from my videos, and I now want to create a BlueRay using higher definition source material. Just like the DVDs, the BluRays will consist of many short video clips, but whereas for the DVDs I used the MPEG PAL Widescreen preset in PRE11, for the BluRay I'm using the HDTV 720p 25 High Quality preset.

Some of the original source material was shot with an AVCHD camcorder and is 25fps, some videos with my Nikon V1 at 29.97 fps.

The problem I have is that when I come to prepare the BluRay in DVD Architect, it tells me that the videos and audio will be re-compressed. I know that this result in longer prepare times, and also might reduce the quality, so I'd like to get it right.

Any idea why this would be, have I done something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Bernie
bernieraffe

Re: Questions about creating a BluRay

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:18 pm

As I show you in my book, if you don't want your audio and video to be recompressed (or minimally transcoded) use Movie Studio Project/Render As/Sony AVC with the template for AVCHD 1920x1080 60i (or 50i for PAL).

If you want to output separate audio and video streams, like the pros do, you can use Main Concept MPEG2/BluRay 1920x1080 25 Mpbs Video Stream to output the video and Sony Wave64 Stereo (or 5.1 audio) to output the audio and combine the two in DVD Architect.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bernieraffe » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:56 pm

Thanks Steve.

The only reference to this I could find in your book book was on page 139, when you talk about the best source video for BluRay.

I don't have Movie Studio Project, and I don't need to output separate audio and video streams. Is there a PRE 11 preset that would create the files in a format that DVD Architect wouldn't need to compress?
bernieraffe

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:39 pm

Sorry. I wasn't clear what video editor you were using.

From Premiere Elements, use Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD with the preset for M2T H264 1920x1080 30 (or 25 for PAL video).

DVD Architect may still need to do some transcoding/recompressing -- but don't be alarmed by that. It's simply creating an optimized BluRay file from your video. You should not lose any noticeable video quality at all.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bernieraffe » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:52 pm

Excellent, thanks Steve, will give it a try.

Bernie

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
bernieraffe

Postby bernieraffe » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:12 pm

I just tried that preset and a 4 and half minute video is going to create a 1.6gb file

Bearing in mind I have about 70 video clips to convert, plus most of them are between 5 and 10 minutes long, there won't be enough space on even a couple of BluRays. Even the 1440 x 1080i preset comes out at over 1.3 gb

So it looks like I'll have to stick to the MPEG HDTV 1080p 25 preset, and live with the compression.

Thanks anyway, Steve

Bernie
bernieraffe

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:54 pm

I'm not sure why your output files are so large. Your BluRay-ready files ought to be about 200-300 meg per minute (or a little over 1 gigabyte for a 4 minute file).

Regardless---

It doesn't matter what size the file is you send to DVD Architect, when DVD Architect is done with it you'll still fit about 2 hours of high-def video on a 25 gig BluRay. A BluRay file at full quality will be 200-300 megs per minute no matter what you send over to DVD Architect for transcoding.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to DVD Architect