They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DVD movement looks jittery

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

DVD movement looks jittery

Postby bernieraffe » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:45 pm

Some of the movement in my DVD jitters quite badly, I'm wondering if there are any settings I can use to correct this.

The input source are MPEG-2 files from PRE 11, and the videos play fine as .mp4 files. I know it's not a problem with the actual original source as, for example, if I have a good quality jpg displayed with a moving transition, that transition will judder. So it's nothing wrong with the original videos.

I use the PRE 11 PAL Widescreen preset when exporting (DVDs are for European market).

Thanks for any help.

Bernie

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
bernieraffe

Re: DVD movement looks jittery

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Actually, it most likely is a problem with your original video files. Jittery DVDs are almost always a result of an interlacing conflict between your source video and your project settings.

What model of camcorder is your original video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Under the Edit menu in Premiere Elements, what are listed as your project settings?

Finally, in DVD Architect, what is the frame rate of your properties (as listed under the File menu)?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Kent Frost » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:28 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Finally, in DVD Architect, what is the frame rate of your properties (as listed under the File menu)?

I was just about to ask this very question...as well as what the frame rate of your project is. If they don't match, it could stutter.
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:35 pm

Particularly if you are trying to create a PAL DVD from a NTSC project.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bernieraffe » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:56 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Particularly if you are trying to create a PAL DVD from a NTSC project.

How can I determine what the project type is in PRE 11, I can't remember now what I originally set it to!

On the DVD, the videos that stutter were taken with a AVCHD camcorder, can't remember the model. If I select a clip and look aproperties it shows a frame rate of 25. There are other videos on the DVD and these were taken using the video capability on my Nikon V1 camera, the frame rate of those shows as 29.97.

In DVD Architect, the video default frame rate is 25, so you would think that the Nikon clips would have stutter, not the camcorder ones. But it's the other way around.

Bernie
bernieraffe

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:55 pm

So are you saying that your original AVCHD video files are PAL files? And do they have an .m2ts suffix?

If so, go to your Premiere Elements project and check the project properties listed under the Edit menu. Is the project set up for 25 fps 1920x1080 video?

Also, which output preset did you use to output your DVD-ready mpeg from Premiere Elements? Can you double-check this video's properties and make sure it too is 25 fps?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bernieraffe » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:26 pm

Yes, the original files are .mt2s and using PRE 11 to check the properties it says, 1920 x 1080, 25fps

Also in the PRE 11 project properties. it shows 1920 x 1020 and a timebase of 25fps

I used the standard MPEG preset to output the video, using PAL Widescreen and the fps is also 25.

I've now played the output (from PRE 11) .mpg file in Windows Media Player (which I didn't do before), and sure enough it jitters the same as the DVD, so this is nothing to do with DVD Architect after all.

Of to bed now, it's late in the UK, but let me know if screen shots would help, they may help to identify the problem.

Thanks very much for your help with this, much appreciated.

Bernie
bernieraffe

Postby bernieraffe » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:37 pm

I've just tried outputting from PRE 11 using the PAL Standard preset instead of the PAL Wideangle preset, and it now looks a whole lot better.

WIll confirm in the morning.
bernieraffe

Postby bernieraffe » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:47 am

Now that I've had time to take a closer look, I thing the videos from the PAL Standard preset are only slightly better than the PAL Widescreen preset versions.

So I'm still stuck with the problem.
bernieraffe

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:41 am

The fact that you aren't seeing this jitteriness when you output an MP4 but you are seeing it when you output an MPEG most certainly indicates that this is an interlacing conflict. Though, if what you're saying about your workflow is correct, I don't see where it's creeping in.

Short of actually sitting down at your computer, I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Do you know for certain that your original video files are PAL files? Did you open them in G Spot or Media Info to confirm this?

Also, can you post a screen capture of this project's Edit/Project Settings/General window?

You've got something goin on that's slipping under the radar, Bernie. So we're going to have to pick it apart piece by piece to find it.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bernieraffe » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:25 am

I havn't run the original files through the software you mentioned (searching for g spot brings up some interesting results ;) )

I don't have the original AVCHD camcorder any more, plus I don't remember seeing any PAL / NTSC options but could be mistaken. In any case it's a bit academic now, the original files are what they are and I can't re-shoot the videos. here's the screenshot of the general options.

I've been experimenting with various settings and I'm now getting acceptable results by using the 'Field Options' to reduce the flicker or de-intrerlace, they both seem to work. Then I changed the PAL Widescreen preset to output max quality of 5 (was set to 3)

By the way, is there any way to access Field Options and to de-interlace or reduce flicker across the board. I'm having to do it for each individual clip.

The PAL Standard setting looked ok on my PC but was the wrong ratio on my TV.

So, I'm pretty happy with the results now, although they could be better, so I wouldn't want you to spend too long looking at this problem.

Thanks,
Bernie
bernieraffe

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:27 am

If you open the Properties for a clip, you can set the Flicker Removal under the Motion properties. You can then right-click on that clip on your timeline and select Copy, then select and right-click the other clips on your timeline and select Paste Attributes. This will paste the Flicker Removal settings to all of the selected clips.

But it will also do the same with ALL effects and properties you've applied to your initial clip.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to DVD Architect