They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DVD stuttering

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

DVD stuttering

Postby bernieraffe » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:10 am

I'm finding that video sequences with moving subjects are stuttering when I play the DVD, also the DVD Architecte Prepare stage takes a ridiculously long time.

The video files are .mp4 created using PRE11, I used the Vimeo HD Preset to create them, which is H.264 1280 x 720. The videos play fine on my PC and online.

I see from a previous post in this forum that I should really be using MPEG-2 videos as the input source, so I used PRE11 to convert one and it works a lot better with no stutter. The two questions I have is:-

1. The resulting mpg files are a lot larger, does this matter?
2. I have about seventy 5-10 minute videos to convert, what software can I use to perform a batch conversion, and will the quality be as good as converting each one using PRE 11. I've tried using Handbrake and MediaCoder,in Handbrake I couldn't find the correct options, and in MediaCoder, I got to the end of the configuration wizard, but then just got a screen with no options to begin the conversion.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
bernie
bernieraffe

Re: DVD stuttering

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:15 am

Are you saying you're loading MP4s directly into DVD Architect, Bernie? That can often cause these kinds of problems -- and definitely contributes to increased transcoding times.

As I show you in our tutorial "Prepping for Disc", the closer the format of the file that your add to DVD Architect is to the final DVD Architect output, the better your results will be and the faster the render time.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... &btn.y=-78

For instance, I load DVD Architect with DVD-ready MPEG2 files and my transcoding time is about 5 minutes.

To output DVD-ready files from Premiere Elements 11, use Publish & Share/Computer/MPEG using the preset for NTSC DVD (or DVD Widescreen).

That SHOULD solve your issues. However, you don't say what model of camcorder your original video is coming from --AND there are indicators that you're converting your video using third-party programs -- and these can both negatively impact your video.

In fact, I highly recommend AGAINST your converting any video before you add it to Premiere Elements or DVD Architect. Doing so can unintentionally change your frame interlacing, and that can result in jittery video playback like you're seeing.

Just load your video directly from your camcorder to Premiere Elements -- and then use Premiere Elements to output a DVD-ready ready for DVD Architect -- and your DVD should look terrific!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bernieraffe » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:24 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I'm loading mp4 files into DVD Architect, and as you say it works much better with MPEG2 files, and I do take the videos straight from my DSLR or mirrorless Nikon V1 straight into PRE11.

Having just discovered (from your site) that MPEG2 files work better in DVD Architect, I'm now faced with going back into PRE 11 and saving over 70 videos using a different preset. I was wondering whether I could do a batch convert of my mp4 files to MPEG2, but I think now that probably not a good idea.

Thanks again,
Bernie
bernieraffe

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:46 am

Again, I don't recommend converters if they can be avoided. Unless you make sure everything set right, you can end up taking your video farther from compatibility rather than closer to.

Fortunately, Premiere Elements 11 does a pretty good job of digesting whatever you put into it. (Occasionally, especially with MOVs, it has trouble identifying the file's specs, but for the most part it's pretty automatic.) So put your raw video into it and save DVD Architect for your finished, disc-ready video.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to DVD Architect