They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Autosave in DVDAS?

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

Autosave in DVDAS?

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu May 16, 2013 9:14 am

This problem is already solved, but for future reference I have a question...

Last night I finished a project in DVDAS and burned a copy to a DVD+RW to see how everything looked on the TV. I didn't use the burn to folder option, because I've been tweaking this project for days and wouldn't have been surprised if I'd wanted to make other changes. When the burn was finished I got the usual dialog box asking if I wanted to burn another. I just left it sit because I wanted to take a look at the disc. I didn't get back to it last night, but it turns out the disc looked good and I was ready to burn a real one. This morning I found that Windows had done an update and and automatic restart, rudely shutting down DVDAS in the process. Since I had been saving the project regularly, and had saved it before the burn, I didn't think it would be a problem. However, when I restarted DVDAS and tried to load the project I got an error stating that the file is not a valid project.

Steve's book doesn't say anything about autosave, and I don't find anything about it in DVDAS help. For such a well-thought-out program this seems like a glaring omission. Am I missing something, or is this just the way it is? And since I had saved the project just before starting the burn, why did this shutdown corrupt the file? Probably a rhetorical question. :pull:

By the way, I just made a copy from the DVD+RW to a regular DVD and the problem is solved. I'm sure glad I was finished with the project.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: Autosave in DVDAS?

Postby Peru » Thu May 16, 2013 9:41 am

Yes, there is no autosave.
It could have been corrupted because it was open and may not have been properly closed by Windows when it restarted.

Whenever I save something, I also save a copy to my backup drive in case there is a problem with the original file or the drive on which it resides.

Additionally, I don't know if the bug exists in the latest version of DVDAS, but I remember a while back that Bobby reported that if you close DVDAS without saving a project at least once, it will not ask you if you want to save it before closing .
Peru

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu May 16, 2013 10:05 am

Peru wrote:Whenever I save something, I also save a copy to my backup drive in case there is a problem with the original file or the drive on which it resides.

I save often, and having to bounce back and forth between two different files sounds like a pain. It's a shame. At least in Premiere Elements you have the option to save a copy and it keeps track of which is which automatically.

Additionally, I don't know if the bug exists in the latest version of DVDAS, but I remember a while back that Bobby reported that if you close DVDAS without saving a project at least once, it will not ask you if you want to save it before closing .

I do remember that being brought up, now that you mention it. Normally wouldn't be a problem for me. Not a good thing. BTW, I do have the latest DVDAS update installed.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Thu May 16, 2013 10:21 am

You might also want to change your Windows update settings to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" or "Check for updates but let me chose whether to download and install them".
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu May 16, 2013 10:48 am

Bob wrote:You might also want to change your Windows update settings to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" or "Check for updates but let me chose whether to download and install them".

You know what? I just may do that. It's never been an issue before, and I normally install all critical updates, but if I have to deal with incompetence in programming then I guess it may be necessary. ;) I'm just grumping. I really do love the program but this is a major flaw, in my opinion. <grumble....grumble...bah....harumph...>

Dave McElderry

Return to DVD Architect