They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

End Action Strangeness

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

End Action Strangeness

Postby Bobby » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:01 pm

So I go through a bunch of problems making a DVD of my niece's wedding (interlace problem, printer cartridge problems, etc.) and after all cut the final DVDs and took them up to Thanksgiving in Reading, PA.

And yet another problem surfaced.

The DVD has four clips, with a simple menu at the beginning. All the clips seem to be properly linked (i.e. the End Actions) all point to the next sequential clip, and the EA of the final clip is back to the Main Menu. Works fine on my player (Panasonic Blu-Ray).

But when I got to the quote "Scene of the crime" unquote (Thanksgiving song reference for you young people) it didn't play correctly on my brother-in-law's Samsung Blu-Ray player. The main menu came up OK and seemed to work OK, but after each clip the player just hung - as if the End Action was Stop. Pressing the Menu button on the remote at that point gave a Stop Sign (i.e. button not valid) in the upper right corner. No Remote Buttons were suppressed in the project. But the Next button seemed to work and in fact start the next scene. So we were able to play the DVD, just manually having to press Next after each clip.

I tried all 3 copies of the DVD that I brought with me and all failed the same way, as you might imagine. Got home, and my home copy played fine still.

What you think?
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: End Action Strangeness

Postby Peru » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:26 pm

Possible disc brand incompatibility?
Maybe his player doesn't like your brand of disc.

What kind did you use?
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:41 pm

I'm surprised to hear you've got exactly the same problem at exactly the same spot on all three discs -- but I'm equally surprised to hear that it worked fine at home.

Do you run Verify after burning each disc? If you're using ImgBurn to burn your discs, you can check the Verify option and it will go through your disc after it's burned and make sure the burn integrity is there. When I do this, it's very rare someone tells me they have problems playing my DVDs.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks guys, but I am sure there is no bit-level problem. The menu and video are there and play fine.

The problem is a software in either something in the DVDAS project setup or a mis-interpretation by my BILs player. Definitely software...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to DVD Architect