They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Replacing video in existing DVDA project

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

Replacing video in existing DVDA project

Postby Chrismar » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:37 am

Hi Steve,

I have had your guide to DVDA for a couple of years now and thanks to the advice & tips therein, have burned many successful projects to DVD. However, one thing I cannot figure out how to do and that is when I've amended or updated a video (in Sony Vegas MS 10) and want to reburn it using the original menu settings in DVDA, how do I replace the video in DVDA yet retain the theme and all the menu settings? Until now my 'work around' has been to save the main page & scene selction pages as themes and once the video is uploaded into DVDA then copy the appropriate theme & scene selection menus. This still means checking all the links and navigation buttons and redoing some functions. There must surely be a quicker, easier way?

Many thanks for your help.

Chrismar
Chrismar
New User
New User

Re: Replacing video in existing DVDA project

Postby Chris B » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:25 am

Hi Chrismar - Welcome to Muvipix!

This is easiest if the video is exactly the same length as the one you're replacing - otherwise you'll need to re-do menus etc. Two options.
1) Simply overwrite the video file on you hard drive with your new one. When you open DVDAS it will use the new one.

2) Double click on the media you want to change in the tree view. In the media properties panel make sure "track media" is selected. Then click on the video or audio track. A down arrow will appear at the end of the track which opens a menu. One of the items here is "replace media". This also works for the Audio.

Chris.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:57 am

Great solution, Chris! And welcome to the Muvipix community, Chrismar!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:21 pm

First, Chris's option 1 is by far the easiest way to do this. In my opinion, it's the best way. However, there may be good reasons why you wouldn't want to do this. So, DVDAS provides two additional ways to do it.

The next easiest way is to remove the original file from the folder so DVDAS won't find it. When you open the DVDAS project you will get a dialog where you can specify that you want to replace the missing file. When you select the replacement file, it will replace both the button thumbnails and the file on the timeline. Captions won't be changed, so if you use the default caption created from the file name, you will need to modify it.

The third way is Chris's option 2. This is the most flexible but also the most work since you must individually replace the video reference, the audio reference, and the thumbnail reference. Again, the button captions will not be changed.
Bob

Postby Chris B » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:15 pm

I use my "option 2" to produce BluRays and DVDs - with two separate video renders from Vegas (since DVDA is slow at re-rendering) I swap out just the video components (DVDA allows me to keep the audio the same for both projects) - Everything else seems to "just work" ;)
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Bob » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:49 pm

Yep, option 2 allows you to change the thumbnail, video, and audio independently which makes it very flexible. Change one, some, or all as your needs dictate.
Bob

Postby Chrismar » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:45 pm

Thank you Chris B, Bob and Steve for your prompt responses with the solution/s and advice - very much appreciated. Actually so easy (always is, I guess, when you know how!) and will save me a lot of time.

Thank you too for the 'welcomes' - I've been around for a while but as a 'lurker', not a particpator! Its a great website with so much info.

Chrismar
Chrismar
New User
New User

Return to DVD Architect