They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Burning Blu-ray Short Movies

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

Burning Blu-ray Short Movies

Postby borgie » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:39 pm

I have recently installed DAS5 and purchased Steve's Guide to DAS5. Both very impressive!
Further to topic titled "Blue ray to DVD on trial version DVD architect", if I buy a rewritable blu-ray (BD-RE) 25GB disc, use it and DAS5 to burn a short movie, then do a straight out copy to a DVD disc, will it work?? Or has anyone tested a simpler solution?
Thanks
Borgie
PC: Dell Alienware 51 R2, 32GB Quad Channel DDR4, 256GB SSD
Op System: Win8.1 x64
Camcorder: Sony HDR PJ 760VE
Profession: Hobbyist
borgie

Re: Burning Blu-ray Short Movies

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:12 am

I doubt that just copying the BluRay files to a standard DVD will work.

I did a quick Google search and found this which might help -

http://www.wondershare.com/dvd-burner/b ... o-dvd.html

Caveat: I only found it. I haven't tried it so cannot comment on the resulting video quality.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Paul LS » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:10 am

Infact Wondershare DVD Creator was a free give-away on "giveawayoftheday.com" last week. I haven't tried it yet.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:19 pm

I'm waiting for someone here to try to make a HD DVD using Wondershare. Please note that it says on their website that the resulting file format is not supported by many media players. They don't say anything about playing the DVD on a BlueRay player either which I thought to be an odd omission. They do talk about playing this "HD stream" on a DVD player but DVD players only support 720 × 480 pixels. That's not High Def.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby borgie » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:20 pm

Thanks guys for the quick response.
The DVD Creator from Wondershare seems to refer to HD videos played on normal DVD players. My intention is to play an HD video burned on DVD disc using a blu-ray player. And I have done this when I use Cyberlink's Power Director 10, which allows burning HD video (1920 x 1080 50i) using blu-ray burner on a DVD disc. The problem with this method is that DAS is completely out of it, that is, I don't know how to bring DAS into the cycle. Too much to sacrifice leaving DAS out. A very clever ploy by Sony, I guess.
PC: Dell Alienware 51 R2, 32GB Quad Channel DDR4, 256GB SSD
Op System: Win8.1 x64
Camcorder: Sony HDR PJ 760VE
Profession: Hobbyist
borgie

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:32 pm

The new builds of DAS5 won't allow you to do what you want. I have a work around writeup if you are interested let me know. It's probably not for a beginner but you are welcome to have a look.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chris B » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:44 pm

OK - this is slightly complicated. You can burn a DVD with BluRay style content from DVD Architect Studio - This is technically an AVCHD disk - although this is a somewhat vague standard that is not universally supported.

The technique is to start you project as a BluRay project. Then in the project properties change the Target Media Size to 4.7GB. You will have to ensure that your BitRate does not exceed 18Mbits (although you should aim a little lower - say 14-16) to ensure smooth playback. I would suggest AVC encoding as you can lower the bit rate without affecting quality too much. Here's a screen-shot of the project properties:
You should then be able to burn to a DVD. At 16Mbits your maximum duration on a DVD is just under 40 minutes.

However - here are the caveats.
  • The format that is produced is slightly problematic. It will play on SOME players - but not others. You can edit the file structure to make it more compatible. (Can't find the link right now)
  • The disk will ONLY play on AVCHD capable players. This usually means only BluRay players - and usually only those made by Panasonic or Sony - There's a list here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD#Compatibility_with_Blu-ray_Disc_players
  • Normal DVD players will NOT play these disks - even some (all?) upscaling players. The fundamental filesystem is different. As far as I'm aware Windows XP won't even see this disk as formatted. Wondershare mentioned above converts the format to DVD (standard definition) which is not what I understand you are trying to achieve.

I hope this helps.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Chris B » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:04 pm

Sorry - correction/clarification to the above. OLDER version of DVD Architect and Architect Studio (Build 128 in the case of Studio) can do this. But given the restrictions I'm not sure it's really worth it.

Old versions of Sony software are available here:
http://download.sonymediasoftware.com/current/
Build 128 of DVDAS 5.0 is here:
http://download.sonymediasoftware.com/c ... udio50.exe

Apparently Sony removed it because it was "non-standard".... :pull:
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Return to DVD Architect