They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

What is the Difference Btwn Page and Menu?

A new addition to Muvipix, with support and discussion of Sony's DVD Architect Studio.

What is the Difference Btwn Page and Menu?

Postby diva42 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi Im new here and to dvda as well Im using pro 5.0 I cant for the life of me get a grasp on why I would use one for the other also sonytalk forum I joined but can't get my questions to appear on the forum and I cant find a search function on that site at all.

Anyway Thanks in advance for any help!

Edit I meant sub menu!
diva42
New User
New User

Re: What is the Difference Btwn Page and Menu?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:48 pm

We're glad to help you any way we can, diva. Welcome to Muvipix!

It sounds like you're using DVD Architect Pro. Are you asking why you would use Pro rather than Studio and vice versa? Well, DVD Architect Pro certainly has many more advanced features -- like optional subtitles, multiple language audio tracks, etc.

Meantime, have you had a look at our free 3-part Basic Training tutorials? They'll help you get up to speed with this wonderful program.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0

And, if you need more details and step by step instructions, our books can offer lots of help.
http://Muvipix.com/dvdas5.php
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby diva42 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:42 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:We're glad to help you any way we can, diva. Welcome to Muvipix!

It sounds like you're using DVD Architect Pro. Are you asking why you would use Pro rather than Studio and vice versa? Well, DVD Architect Pro certainly has many more advanced features -- like optional subtitles, multiple language audio tracks, etc.

Meantime, have you had a look at our free 3-part Basic Training tutorials? They'll help you get up to speed with this wonderful program.

And, if you need more details and step by step instructions, our books can offer lots of help.

Hi Steve what I meant to ask is in the program dvd architect pro the one I am using what is the difference between using a page vs a sub menu I want to add other pages but what is better to add videos to I hope you understand what I mean.

Thanks I will have a look at your links
diva42
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:31 pm

A submenu is a special menu page that includes links to scenes within a video clip.

Although I guess a sub-menu could also just be a menu page that links to another menu page.

Have you worked through our free Basic Training tutorials yet? A lot of this is covered there and in some of our other tutorials for DVD Architect.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby diva42 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:41 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:A submenu is a special menu page that includes links to scenes within a video clip.

Although I guess a sub-menu could also just be a menu page that links to another menu page.

Have you worked through our free Basic Training tutorials yet? A lot of this is covered there and in some of our other tutorials for DVD Architect.

Hi Steve Ok I will have to really sit with the videos which btw thank you for the fast responses I ask because I don't see any difference between the two, insert page or insert sub menu, but there must be some type of a difference else why have 2 separate choices? Being fairly new to the wonderful world of video production I confuse easily as there is quite a bit involved to it, the program is really excellent this I can see its the terms and odds and ends that are a bit of a learning curve for me so many choices and ways to do the same thing.

What I am attempting is to have is play all button, then a button for a video selection page and button for extras page located all on the main menu but my confusion are these sub menus or pages I should add? Im thinking that the differences are on where they link back to for the return page but being so lost I really don't know, when I go to a page and have the home button what should it typically bring me back to the main menu (1st menu) or the prior menu page (the one I was on before pressing a button on that page?) see my confusion and I know I should grab some dvds I have and have a peek to see how they operate but not all dvd operate the same from what I recall.

Anyhow I wont go any deeper as I'm laughing at myself at this point have a great evening or day as the case maybe. And Ive got my pencil and notepad ready for the videos.

Thanks!
diva42
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:56 am

I don't see any difference between the two, insert page or insert sub menu

They are very similar, but there is a difference and it has to do with the structure of the menu. Imagine your menus are laid out on a grid with horizontal rows and vertical columns. Insert sub menu will insert a menu in the next row down from the current menu and place a button that links to that menu on the current menu. When you click on the button, the sub menu will appear with a return arrow at the bottom center that will allow you to return to the higher level menu. Insert menu page, on the other hand, will add a menu on the same row as the current menu. There is no button to the other menu(s), instead there is a horizontal arrow added bottom left or right that will take you to the next or previous menu.

Here's an example of how you might use them. Say you are making an event compilation dvd and on the main menu you want a button for each year. When you click on the year button, you want a menu for that specific year with buttons for each event in that year. Say also that you only want six buttons on a menu. You would create a main menu for the 1st six years and insert a menu page for each additional main menu needed. Then, on each main menu page, insert a sub menu for each year. Finally, go to each sub menu page and add buttons to playback the events that belong on each menu. If there are more events than will fit on that sub menu, insert menu pages as necessary for adding the additional events.

I hope this helps.
Bob

Postby diva42 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:04 am

Bob wrote:
I don't see any difference between the two, insert page or insert sub menu

They are very similar, but there is a difference and it has to do with the structure of the menu. Imagine your menus are laid out on a grid with horizontal rows and vertical columns. Insert sub menu will insert a menu in the next row down from the current menu and place a button that links to that menu on the current menu. When you click on the button, the sub menu will appear with a return arrow at the bottom center that will allow you to return to the higher level menu. Insert menu page, on the other hand, will add a menu on the same row as the current menu. There is no button to the other menu(s), instead there is a horizontal arrow added bottom left or right that will take you to the next or previous menu.

Here's an example of how you might use them. Say you are making an event compilation dvd and on the main menu you want a button for each year. When you click on the year button, you want a menu for that specific year with buttons for each event in that year. Say also that you only want six buttons on a menu. You would create a main menu for the 1st six years and insert a menu page for each additional main menu needed. Then, on each main menu page, insert a sub menu for each year. Finally, go to each sub menu page and add buttons to playback the events that belong on each menu. If there are more events than will fit on that sub menu, insert menu pages as necessary for adding the additional events.

I hope this helps.

Excellent explanation it will require me to do it a few times to really get the hang of it but yes I do understand what you pointed out with the arrows pointing in opposite vertical horizontal directions i do recall seeing that along the way.

Thank You so Much for helping me \:D/
diva42
New User
New User

Return to DVD Architect