They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Codec Problem from a Newbie - Hello all!

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Codec Problem from a Newbie - Hello all!

Postby Ginaration » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:53 pm

Hi there:

I am new to this arena but I'm sure hope that someone can help me. I have looked on the net, tried a couple of things, but I'm just not sure if the direction I'm taking is correct because nothing seems to be working.

Here's the scoop:

I was making simple slide show after downloading a trial version of Adobe PSE Elements 9. I want to learn about it because I enjoy fixing photos, photography, oh, I just about enjoy everything there is to learn in life...if I had enough time, I would. However, I completed my slideshow and was adding the audio mp3 file from my Windows PC. Well, after all of that, guess what? I receive an error message stating I don't have the codec(s) to install/decompressor/compress the file(s). So, no video! I tried compressing the file in preferences by right clikcing on the audio file as well as compressing it to a zip file, all to no avail. I also downloaded a Windows 7 codec pak but I have no idea what to do with it to get it into PSE. I even called Adobe, to no avail. Since I really don't know what I'm doing, I didn't want to take it any further just in case I was really headed down what was seemingly more unchartered territory. Now, I'm just totally confused and need some direction. Can someone please help me? I feel like I'm Lost In Space, smh and ::lol:: !

Thanks so much.

P.S. I could just use Windows movie maker but I don't like it now that you have to sign up for Windows Live. And I can always learn Windows, being that I'm much more familiar with it. I'm having difficulty as you can see with Adobe, which I'd really like to learn, as I stated.
Ginaration
New User
New User

Re: Codec Problem from a Newbie - Hello all!

Postby momoffduty » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:28 pm

Welcome Ginaration to Muvipix! Not sure why you are getting that error and someone will be along soon to help. If you are planning on purchasing Premiere Elements, v10 should be coming out soon.

Again, welcome! :wcm:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Barb O » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:56 pm

First, I will also say welcome.

Then I have some questions to help us understand your problem. Based on your description,

1-- my first guess would be that the specific mp3 file might be causing problems. This is especially true IF you see the error message immediately after you add the mp3 file.
How did you obtain the mp3 file that you attempted to use ? For example, did you download the mp3 and if yes, from which site did you download ? Does that mp3 file have DRM (digital rights management control)?

2-- my second guess is to wonder if you added any video clip to your slide show ? For example, perhaps your digital camera also takes video clips. You did not say you have any video clips in your slide show: however, many people now do that and it could cause an error about a missing codec. If you have any video clips, tell us which camera took the video and (if you know, the format of the video).

3 -- If neither of my guesses above isolates the problem, then we will need more info --
For now, please tell us --
Do you have Adobe Premiere Elements 9 Trial installed (in addition to the Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 that you mentioned) ? If YES, are you working within Premiere Elements when you receive your error message ? Or are you working within the Organizer Slide Show Editor ? (check the header on the active window to determine what is the active software)

4-- I suggest that you NOT install that codec pack yet -- until others on this forum who know more about those codec packs comment on the specifics.

Barb
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ginaration » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:39 am

Hi Cheryl and Barb and thank so much for getting back to me so quickly. :meet: :TU:

Well, here's what took place:

First, I downloaded a file to Itunes from Itunes that included artwork. At first, the file was an MP4 file. I then converted it to an mp3 file with itunes. I compressed it in preferences in one folder, in yet another folder, I compressed it to a zip file. One file shows artwork, the other seemingly doesn't however, it may still be part of the file but I'm not sure how to take the artwork off. What I did to seemingly alleviate this was place it in the organizer, and what shows up is a picture of the audio file without the artwork that looks like a big horn. This is within organizer. It doesn't matter which one I use, editor or organizer, I still get the same codec error message. I don't know what DRM means, sorry.

Second, I only added photos. The photos were taken with my inphone 3GS. They are within a folder on the desktop. However, as I stated above (not being smart), I don't know if the artwork is somewhere within the mp3 file because in one file on my desktop it shows the artwork, in the other, it doesn't although both seem to be the same length of 5:02, or 6:03 MB.

Third, when I have both trial versions downloaded and too late, already installed Windows 7 codec on Windows 7 but can easily uninstall. I see where files are located. I am working with 2 computers. One a desktop, one a laptop.

Hope I answered all the questions required.

Thanks again!

aka Gina :meet:
Ginaration
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:54 pm

I compressed it in preferences in one folder, in yet another folder, I compressed it to a zip file.

Try adding an uncompressed mp3 file. Premiere Elements is not designed to work with zipped (or other externally compressed files). Add a zip file to a Premiere Elements project and you will get a message that the file type is unsupported or a codec is not installed or present. Premiere Elements should be able to import an mp3 and/or mp4 file that has not been additionally compressed or have DRM protection applied.

DRM stands for Digital Rights Management. DRM encrypts the file and only authorized machines/players may decode and play the file. Prior to about two years ago, iTunes purchased music had DRM applied. Premiere Elements can't use DRM protected files. However, you should be able to convert them to unprotected MP3 or wav files which can be used.
Bob

Postby Ginaration » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:45 pm

Thank you so much. In my first message, I did write that I tried in to add three times in the following formats, mp3, zipped mp3 and compressed mp3 - all the same song. Still saying the same message, I don't have the codecs needed although I have Windows 7 and XP. Even if I had them, I would have no idea what to do with them or how to get them to make it so I can adapt it into my slidehow in PE without getting the error message. Perhaps someone else will know and has received the same message. Below is the url. Perhaps you can see what I mean.

I wonder is it has something to do with the art work that was originally downloaded with the itunes folder. However, it's strange because it doesn't show up in this song (called Summer of '95 by The Vikings. I manage this group. They are the last know living whole Motown group.

C:\Documents and Settings\Gina Huckaby\Desktop\02 The Summer of 95 1.mp3
Thanks
Ginaration
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:14 pm

I'm sorry. For some reason I was thinking Premiere Elements instead of Photoshop Elements which you clearly stated.

The Photoshop Elements slideshow feature does have problems using mp3 files with either embedded artwork or DRM protection. I don't know if that is still a limitation in version 9, but it was clearly a problem in version 8 and below. I suspect it is still an issue. See this: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/332/332125.html
Bob

Return to PRE Version 9