They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

project preset for Canon VIXIA HF M31

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

project preset for Canon VIXIA HF M31

Postby Barb O » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:08 am

What project preset in Premiere Elements 9 is best for video from the Canon VIXIA HF M31 ?

I noticed the thread from PaulC at
viewtopic.php?f=89&t=9870
where the response is that the Canon HF M41 video works fine with PE 9. Also, the video rep at the camera store specifically stated that the video from the HF M31 could be processed by PE 9 (stating that it must be v9 rather than earlier versions).

-- Camera store advised to set mode for recording to FXP

-- FXP (17Mbps) 1920 x 1080 Full HD Recording
-- video format is MPEG4-AVC / H.264
-- audio is Dolby Digital 2 channel (AC-3)
-- records to an SDHC card or the internal flash memory of the camera

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/prod ... ifications

Steve Grisetti,
I did look at the project preset chart on page 184 of your book, but still can not determine which project preset to use.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: project preset for Canon VIXIA HF M31

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:06 am

The camera store guy is right. Shooting in FXP is best, if you plan to edit in Premiere Elements.

Your video should edit great in a project set up for Full AVCHD 1920x1080 Stereo.

I also recommend using Premiere Elements' Get Media/From Flip, AVCHD and Hard Disk Camcorder tool to get the video from the cam to the computer. This opens the Video Importer tool, which lets you preview which clips you want to download.

I recommend this, as opposed to just sticking the SD card in a card reader and using Windows Explorer to move the files.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Barb O » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:36 am

Steve - thanks for your response. One dilemma that I have with the approach of using the PE 9 Get Media is that my travel laptop is only a Core 2 Duo with 2.0 processor and integrated video -- so I don't think that PE 9 could process AVCHD video on it. I was planning to only view the video while traveling and then do any editing after returning home.

What other software might I use with Windows 7 on this Core 2 Duo laptop for playing back my Full AVCHD 1920x1080 Stereo video clips ?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:37 pm

You should be able to play the clips on Quicktime -- and possibly even view it and do some basic editing with Quicktime Pro. I've no idea how the program would perform with that video on your system, but it would certainly be more efficient than Premiere Elements.

Does anybody have any experience with Quicktime Pro and AVCHD on a dual-core machine?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Kerrie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:23 pm

I have my first high def video cam-the canon vixia HF R21. I am wondering why they recommend FXP over MXP if editing in adobe premiere elements. I plan to upgrade my program-probably when 10 comes out, but want to make sure that I am videoing in the best format before that.

Thanks!!!
Kerrie

Dell Vostro Laptop; 2.2 GHz, core 2 duo, 2 gig ram, 2x160 gig 7200 rpm HDs
Kerrie
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Barb O » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:16 pm

Hi Kerrie,

I can't answer your why question about the FXP setting. So hopefully Steve or someone else will.

An FYI
this morning I was experimenting with playing my FXP setting videos on my laptop (Windows 7 Home Premium with no Premiere Elements currently installed).

-- I first attempted to play the .mts files using Quicktime 7 (without Quicktime Pro) but QT said it could not recognize the format of the file.

-- So then I tried with Windows Media Player 12 and so far it is playing the clips (.mts files) that I have attempted -- a pleasant surprise.

Because my laptop has only a 1280x800 screen resolution, I think that playback on a full HD TV (when available) is better for evaluating the quality of the video. However I am finding the laptop playback useful when the HD TV is not available.

Right now my emphasis is on learning the camcorder capabilities, so I am not attempting any editing.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Kerrie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:08 pm

Thanks Barb, that was helpful. I have been slowing reading through the manual. So much to learn about this camera.
Kerrie

Dell Vostro Laptop; 2.2 GHz, core 2 duo, 2 gig ram, 2x160 gig 7200 rpm HDs
Kerrie
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Barb O » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:21 pm

So much to learn about this camera.

I totally agree with that comment.

I am currently investigating in camera conversion to Standard Def as a potential route to making a DVD. I will also keep the HD recordings for future use.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 9