They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

MOV output has split audio in QuickTime

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

MOV output has split audio in QuickTime

Postby Ron Hunter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm

I just made a 4minute product introduction video using PRE9. The audio should be a blend of my voice as narration and Ron's "TechnoTranceMe" wave file as the soundtrack. I "shared" the timeline using Share>Computer>QuickTime with a "YouTube friendly" preset (AAC codec, stereo, 44.1kHz sampling rate).

When I view the output MOV file with Windows Media Player, the audio sounds fine with a blend of narration and soundtrack balanced between left and right ears. However, when I view the movie with QuickTime, my voice is in the left ear and the musical soundtrack is in the right ear. This is annoying and objectionable to my audience. Final medium is YouTube but I'm concerned the audio will sound "split" if the movie is uploaded in its current state.

I tried creating a movie without the soundtrack, then adding the soundtrack to the movie and re-exporting it. Same results.

Why is this happening, and what can I do to correct it?

Thanks!
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: MOV output has split audio in QuickTime

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:58 pm

That's a tough one, Ron! I've never heard of that happening -- and I don't have any idea what could be causing it.

Until we figure out, there's a simple workaround: Output your video as an AVI using Share/Computer/AVI with the DV preset. Then open a new project, put that AVI on the timeline and output your MOV from there.

And if that STILL results in this issue, something very strange is going on.

It could be related to the fact that Apple is, I believe, still working on a 64-bit version of Quicktime Player for Windows. (Or intentionally boycotting it, as they did with iTunes when Vista first came out.) But that's just speculation.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron Hunter » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:00 am

Steve, since this is a HD project will your AVI suggestion work?

I note that when the HD timeline is produced with Share>MobilePhone>iPod and iPhone>"Vimeo and Muvipix Recommendation" preset (MP4 output), this audio problem doesn't happen. Audio settings for that preset are also AAC codec, 44.1kHz sample rate, stereo, 128kbps. (Note that the "YouTube Friendly Preset" I used for the problematic file doesn't specify bit rate for audio encoding. Don't know if that matters or not.)

I wonder how YouTube will respond if I upload a movie created with Vimeo preset? Guess I'll just try and see how it works out.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:42 am

PROBLEM SOLVED. My fault, the original audio was recorded in MONO. Just found out this morning. D'oh! I'm using "Fill Left" from PRE9 audio effects to give me a stereo presentation.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:44 am

D'oh indeed!

Glad you were able to resolve that one, Ron.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 9