They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Very choppy video and I am a complete novice! HELP

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Very choppy video and I am a complete novice! HELP

Postby tkgosselin » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:57 pm

I purchased PE 9 because the store clerk at staples said it would work with both my laptop and my camcorder for editing my youtube craft tutorial videos. I am so over my head and out a ton of money. I could do nothing with the software at first other than install it, that was ok. I bought "guide to adobe PE 9, and thank god it is so easy to read and I am getting the hang of getting the video into a new project, only problem, the video is super choppy. I have a DXG-5C8V Full HD 1920 -1080 pocket sized camcorder films avi files. (great camcorder by the way) I upload to PE with the usb cable that came with the camcorder. My laptop is about 4 years old 19" acer it runs windows Vista, I read to have at least 20% empty hard drive space which I have and have turned off Aero and the sidebar. But still it is so choppy I don't know how to being trying to learn to edit as I can't watch the video to see how I want to edit it. I can't afford a new laptop and I am out about $140 from the software and the book. I have an option on my camcorder to film at 720 instead of the 1080. Would that help or am I sol? Please won't one of you very nice people help me. I so want this to work and when I say I am a novice I mean the most editing I have done is with the youtube options. I know nothing!!!
Thanks Kelly (in over her head) Gosselin
tkgosselin
New User
New User

Re: Very choppy video and I am a complete novice! HELP

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:51 am

Hi Kelly and welcome to Muvipix. :wcm:

Can you post a little more info please? Can you let us know what the full spec (or the model model number so that we can google for the spec) of the laptop is, please? Also I looked but didn't find....can you confirm the recording format for the video? I suspect that it might be AVCHD but your feedback on that would be very helpful.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:36 am

You could also be facing a number of problems because of the camcorder you're shooting with.

Most pocket camcorders shoot video to proprietary codecs -- which means basically that the manufacturer invents a video format so that they can squeeze as much video as possible into a very small space. That AVI, for instance, that your camcorder produces does not use a standard video (DV) codec.

It's possible we can convert your video into a usable format. But in order to make any recommendations, we'll need to find out what format it is now.

Download the program Media Info and open your video file in it.
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Download

This program will tell you important information about the file, including the audio and video codecs it uses. Once we know that, we can go from there.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:35 am

Welcome Kelly to Muvipix ! I'm sure you will find your solution here.

:wcm:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to PRE Version 9