They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

WebDVD approach to H.264?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

WebDVD approach to H.264?

Postby Ron Hunter » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:34 am

I originally produced a company training video in "WebDVD" HD format to utilize its "scene selection" capability. This is handy because it lets our sales force jump to specific training topics without having to watch the entire movie (54min).

Some of our users complained that the video quality wasn't great and that the images on screen (PowerPoint slides) were jittery.

Sidd and Rob recently helped me understand how to output the video in H.264 "Vimeo-friendly" format. That worked great and has been well received (great quality and much less PPT slide jitter).

However, I like the "scene selection" capability of the WebDVD format and I'm wondering if there is a way I can get that capability in the H.264 Vimeo-friendly movie?

My understanding is that the WebDVD format takes the timeline and compresses it to the FLV format, then applies its DVD interface to the output. So even if I place the H.264 movie on the timeline and output it as WebDVD, the quality will suffer.

Is there a middle ground?

Thanks!
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: WebDVD approach to H.264?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:24 am

The bigger issue, as I said in your other post, may be using PowerPoint slides in the video.

Since the slides are graphics and not true text, they end up getting compressed in the transition to a web format -- and that degrades their readability.

The best solution is to recreate the text in the slides using Premiere Elements titler tool.

I know that's a lot of work, but there really is not way to get a really smooth transition from PowerPoint to video to web. It's the nature of using text graphics rather than true text in a video slideshow.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron Hunter » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:47 am

Thanks Steve. Now I know what is required to move forward. And thanks again for going above and beyond the call on those templates!!
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:49 pm

Always glad to be a part of your projects, Ron!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 9