They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Export without interlacing?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Export without interlacing?

Postby bernieraffe » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:49 am

I'm getting kind of jagged edges whenever there is movement on playback with my new video hosting company. I emailed their technical support team who replied:-

This is due to the source being interlaced, and hence that interlacing being encoded into the digital version. I was able to use http://handbrake.fr/ on a local test version to remove the interlacing and this cleared up the problem.

Are you able to export a version without interlacing?

In PR9 i'm using Share / Computer / MPEG / HD 720p 25, which works fine in all other respects, the problem doesn't show itself if I export as PAL DVD widescreen, but obviously that's not HD.

I don't see any interlacing options, so am I going to have to Handbrake on all my videos?

Cheers,
Bernie
bernieraffe

Re: Export without interlacing?

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:30 am

You can deinterlace it in Premiere Elements. You forgot to give the specifications of your source video, so I don't really know why the PAL DVD worked. That could happen if the video from your camera is high definition. You effectively deinterlace it by reducing the resolution.

Anyway, if you don't apply effects to your video in Premiere Elements, then right-click on the video on the timeline and from the pop-up menu select "Field Options > Always Deinterlace." You'll have to do that for each clip on the timeline. Then share.

If you have applied effects to clips, the deinterlacing option won't work on those clips. You will have to export your video, as you have been doing, then start another project and load that exported video back into Premiere Elements and apply the "Always Deinterlace" option on it. Then share again.

Sharing to a progressive format does not get rid of the jaggies. You still need to deinterlace.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby bernieraffe » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:06 am

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

The source is a Panasonic SD700, so it's avchd, I apply effects to practically every clip, to change brightness or white balance. So I guess I'll have to convert the films afterwards.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
bernieraffe

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:17 am

Yes. It's a shame that you have put it through a second time.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:41 am

I've been struggling with this for months now, drives me crazy.
Doesn't happen with version 4. If you export to a progressive format then the video should be deinterlaced by the application. But RJ's instructions do work and don't effect the quality much.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 9