They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Title flicker re-visited...

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Re: Title flicker re-visited...

Postby momoffduty » Mon May 02, 2011 11:47 am

Really stumped on why the problems. Just a note on the transitions. If you lengthen the transitions the photo clip stays the same amount of time. If the photo has a default of say 5 secs then it will stay the same time whether your transitions are 30 frames or 90 frames.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby rvrkids » Mon May 02, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Cheryl....I do realize that the clip length stays the same; however, if you increase the transition length then the time the actual photo is displayed is reduced. I would rather have the photo display length longer than smoothing out the transition.

RJ - I have been "sharing" my project as a 720x480 DV-AVI file already and that's where I am seeing the distorted text. I did try your suggestion, made a new project and inserted the AVI file on the timeline and shared as WMV but that made it way worse.
rvrkids

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon May 02, 2011 5:55 pm

So your project preset is also 720x480? If not, which one is it? You didn't start with a high def project and share to a DV-AVI? Right? You started with a 720x480 project and shared to a 720x480 dv-avi.

Are your 1000x750 images scaled to frame size?

What font is the text in the title. Is the title a regular title created in Premeire Elements or one that you made in a graphics program and then imported into Premiere Elements?

Is the title keyframmed with the motions properties, or is it one of the animated title presets?
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby rvrkids » Mon May 02, 2011 6:49 pm

I will try to answer all your questions...

My project preset is 720x480 (it is the hard disk widescreen setting) and I shared to 720x480 dv-avi.

My images are not scaled to frame size.

The title is a regular title created in PEl and no matter what font I tried I got the same result.

The title in the first example "Class of 2011" moving in from the right is keyframed. I don't like the title presets because they take the whole clip time to move into place and then you have to freeze frame the title/frame in order to hold it there for any time at all.

Could it make a difference at all that the clouds video that is my background is 1920x1080? But, I don't have a background behind the text on the second section where the text crawls.
rvrkids

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon May 02, 2011 7:20 pm

How do you know that your project is still 720x480. In Premiere Elements 9, it is possibly to change the project when you drop the first clip on the timeline. If you dropped a 1920x1080 background clip on the timeline, you could have let PE change the project to 1920x1080, without remembering. Make sure by checking the project properties: Edit > Project Settings > General.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby rvrkids » Mon May 02, 2011 7:43 pm

I know that the project settings can change so I was sure not to accept that change at the time and I double checked the project settings and it is 720x480.
rvrkids

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon May 02, 2011 8:44 pm

I'm beginning to think that you may need to start your project in a progressive project, one that doesn't have interlaced fields, such as the HDV 720p 30 project preset. Try that, and export to something other than DV-AVI. That's the wrong format to be exporting to for playback because that's interlaced. If you're going to play it back on a computer you need a format you can select that has progressive (no fields) option besides the upper and lower field options. MP4, MPEG-2, Flash.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby rvrkids » Mon May 02, 2011 9:03 pm

That's alot of information.

First, it is too late for me to restart this project. I have 8 separate projects to put together into one video, and, that is the reason I am outputting to dv-avi files so I can combine all of my separate projects into one final video. My final project is a DVD and not meant to be played on a computer.

So, do I have any other options now that I have 8 completed projects to combine? Can I output each project to something other than dv-avi to combine with other projects?

I asked this question many months ago when I started this video and was advised to begin with a dv project and output to avi to combine separate projects so that's what I did. I don't understand why the problems, I am just using photos and text which is the same thing most people use, what could possibly be different in my project?

Thank you so much for your help!!
rvrkids

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon May 02, 2011 10:39 pm

Of course, don't start all over. I was just wondering if that might have solved the problem.

Normally you do use DV-AVI to build a bigger project.

If your final delivery format is DVD, then you most likely won't see any problems when played back on TV. Have you burned a DVD with a sample of your work and played it back on TV yet?
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby rvrkids » Tue May 03, 2011 5:59 am

This is the first time I've done a project this big but splitting the project into sections and then outputting to AVI and combining those AVI files is what was suggested to me months back. Doing the project in sections was the right idea except for these problems.

I have burned a dvd from a project using the avi files and still saw the problems. Is there any other output that might work that I can still combine in PEl?

I guess I need to learn more about interlaced vs deinterlaced and the different project settings because again, nothing is unusual about my projects. They are quite simple.

You should see one of my sections...I did a viewmaster at the beginning and then did the viewmaster transition (simply changing the anchor point and rotating the photos off and on screen)...those photos flicker so much while transitioning it's horrible.
rvrkids

Postby momoffduty » Tue May 03, 2011 8:45 am

I have a few more suggestions, shots in the dark.

Were your titles by chance created from a saved personal style in the titler? I had a problem with a preset I saved on a project a long time ago and don't remember exactly what happened other than I had to recreate the style and save again.

Possible fixes:
Export your segments without the titles and combine in a new project and add the titles there.

Export only your titles with transparency. Could copy & paste at the end of the timeline and use the WAB to export that title only. See if that stops the strange combing.

Instead of scrolling left to right titles or scrolling up, fade in each title. Could use the cross dissolve as a one sided transition. (You probably thought of this, just posting for others that are reading.)
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby rvrkids » Tue May 03, 2011 9:59 am

Cheryl - my titles are not personal saved styles, they were straight from the titler. I will try your suggestions tonight when I get home...thanks.

Any ideas on why my transitions are so choppy, even if I slow them down as you suggested they still look terrible in the avi file and they are just plain old transitions on plain old photos...or as in my viewmaster piece, keyframed movement that is terrible.

RJ had posted the below in another topic ("Basic 3d effects problem") and it looks like he exported a 720x480 dv project to a 1280x720 file and then was able to use that in another PEl project for combining. I think I will try that but which option of "sharing" would that be?

RJ Johnston wrote:One problem turned out to be duplicate Basic3D Effects. Somehow I managed to drop 2 of those effects on the same clip and didn't realize it. But even after removing the duplicate, there was still some jerkiness. What I did was export to 1280x720P 59.94 fps h.264. That turned out very smooth. Then I put that on the timeline. Extremely smooooth 3D action after burning to a DVD from a DV-AVI NTSC project. That was an 800x600 photo.
rvrkids

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue May 03, 2011 11:52 am

Okay, forget that 1280x720 for now (that was under the MPEG share).

What you can do is take what you exported, the DV-AVI video with the combing, and put it in a new project and then add the "always deinterlace" to it (right-click on the clip on the timeline, select Field Options from the popup menu). Then export it again to another DV-AVI.

Believe it or not, "always deinterlace" will now work.

You could actually wait until you are finished with all your sub-projects and add the "always deinterlace" in the final project.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby rvrkids » Tue May 03, 2011 12:01 pm

Okay thanks RJ....I will try that one when I get home. Should my new project settings just be dv 720x480?

AND, should that also help the flicker I am seeing during transitions and keyframed movement on my photos?

Wish me luck!!
rvrkids

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue May 03, 2011 12:36 pm

Yes, use the DV-AVI 720x480 project.

I've got my fingers and toes crossed that this will help with the flicker.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

PreviousNext

Return to PRE Version 9